snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Ghost Pirate of the Caribbean

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ghost Pirate of the Caribbean
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 211 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard from a friend that worked on the Jungle Tours a rumor
that floats around DisneyWorld. As told to me by him, Pirates of the
Carribean at only Disneyworld is haunted by the ghost of a worker that
died during it's construction. Disney's stance is that this is not true,
but regardless everyone that works the ride must say hello and goodbye to
the worker everyday or the ride will break down. In fact, workers on the
ride are ordered to do this to prevent breakdowns.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes, if you'd like to forward the background on this...

It is a legend that during building of "Pirates of the Caribbean," a welder named George was working on one of the scenes, fell and died.

quote:
The Shadowlands website Orlando - Disney World - Pirates of the Caribbean - The spirit of "George" a worker who died there when a beam fell on him during construction still haunts the attraction. At the beginning of the day and at the end of the day attractions workers must come on the PA system and tell George good morning and good night. If not the attraction has been know to shut itself down adding more work before the workers came go home for the night. - March 2004 Addition/ correction - when the ride was being built in the early 70's (it opened Dec. 15, 1973) , George was a welder who clearly, welded different parts of the scenes on the attraction together. One particular area on the ride, called the "burning city", required George to climb up quite high above the ground. George lost his balance, and fell to his death. If you talk to any of the employees at pirates, they will either know of someone who has had an incident with George, or there is a chance they move have had one themselves.
The site is here.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Flyp, is The Shadowlands a trustworthy source? I love reading it, but it has always struck me as a website where people submit their stories and those are posted.

For example, their story about a haunting on the UNT campus (Bruce Hall, my old dorm) is not quite accurate
quote:
Denton - The University of North Texas - Bruce Hall - There is a spirit of a pregnant women trapped in the building who in the 1930's tried to starve herself to cause an abortion There have been sightings of a young women roaming the halls when the building is closed. Also, the students are bothered by minor annoyances.
She died in a separate building on campus, an older dorm, that has since been torn down. When they moved the furniture from the older dorm into Bruce, the strage (supernatural if you will) activities began.

I wonder if there are any Disney employees on this board who can tell us whether or not it is disney policy to greet the deceased worker before opening and after closing.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Pallas, my name is Flyp the Byrdie (better known as Mickey is a gyrl, or Robyn), and I am a seasonal cast member in Walt Disney World.

There is no set-in-stone policy about greeting George, however the cast members that open the ride and the cast members that close the ride usually do greet him. Many times, they will do one last ride through in the evening (because it might be empty), and say goodnight in the area that he died. If it is too busy, they will go on the PA system to say "good night".

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, cool! So definitely some firsthand experience there from you. You are the Disney Employee I was looking to hear from. [Smile]

Interesting tradition. So it's not policy per se, but rather practice? Too cool. And creepy!

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages