snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » 2004 Disneyland Accident Injured Family, Lawsuit Says

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2004 Disneyland Accident Injured Family, Lawsuit Says
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Colorado family has sued the Walt Disney World Co. for injuries suffered in a 2004 accident on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/orange/la-me-thunder10jan10,0,1066032.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would this family have sued if they bumped into another boat in "It's a Small World" or "Pirates of the Caribbean"? I think not.
They're capitalizing on the unfortunate death of another person on that ride.
And besides, you know Disney is going to hire their own psychologists re: the mental anguish and have their own people examine the medical records (which likely will be subpoenaed).

Finally- can we say "DEEP POCKETS" anyone?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
too little info to say if the claim has merit or not. given that I doubt these trains have any real sort of crumple zones (or measure which acheive the same effect), you wouldn't need a very high speed collision to potentially suffer a whiplash injury
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I question the timing - the accident happened a year and a half ago. Why not file a claim sooner? Did their insurance run out and now they're after Disney to cover future medical costs?

Also, I think it's The Walt Disney Company, not The Walt Disney World Company.

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debunker:
Why not file a claim sooner?

They may have a better handle on the damages now than at the time immediately after the accident. But the statute of limitations is probably two years, so they can't wait too long.

quote:
Did their insurance run out and now they're after Disney to cover future medical costs?

Not necessarily. Deep-pockets almost certainly has something to do with it, but that doesn't mean the claim is baseless.

quote:

According to the SEC, there are corporations called "Disney Enterprises, Inc." "Walt Disney Co." (labeled transfer agent), "Disney Street Corp.", "Roy E. Disney", three "Disney Capital Trust"s and "Walt Disney Productions Qualified Stock Option Plan."

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debunker:

Walt Disney World is a resort location. It's owned by the Walt Disney Company. As a comparison, if you were injured at Club Med in the Bahamas, a suit would be filed against Club Med, not just the one in the Bahamas

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The accident was at Disneyland, not WDW. The name of the company in the LA Times article is incorrect and I'm surprised an editor didn't catch it, especially in LA.

I don't have reason to doubt the family's injuries are real. If they are, then I predict Disney will settle for an "undisclosed sum" and a gag order will prevent us from knowing what the result of the suit was.

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once went on a ride at WDW and everybody kept hitting me and I was bouncing all over the place. I think I hurt my neck and my knee!!!! God I hope they don't drive like that on the real road!!! Do you think I should sue WDW too????

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not the same.
Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a joke.

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was gona say that is what you get for letting a frog drive, momto4+. Or just that everyone lost their minds after listening to the "merrly merrily merrly" song for 45 minutes while waiting.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

How did you know about the frog???? You were there weren't you??? The one in the blue car?? You kept singing Merrily,Merrily,Merrily really loud!!!!

--------------------

Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that was so me! I grew up in Tampa, my friends and I all had seasonal passes. So we a lot. I swear that the Merrily song got stuck in your head worse than Small World. Being the sweet loving kids that we were, we would wander around singing it for days. Usually just about the time our parents got it out of thier heads.
Sigh, I miss Mr. Toad.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages