snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Another Disney kidnapping rumor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Disney kidnapping rumor
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing on the local news and no mention of hair being cut and dyed:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=982625

" Odd Situation At MGM Today 12-20-2005
DD and I just got home from MGM. When we were leaving the parking lot,
we had to wait in a huge line of cars. When we finally got to the exit,
an Orange County Sheriff's car was parked across the exit. They were
searching each car leaving the park. They made each car open their trunk
and they looked inside each car. It really creeped me out. I've asked a
neighbor who works at Disney about it. He is going to call to find out
what was going on. Really strange!"

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=982625&page=7&pp=15

"A child was kidnapped during the 3:30 pm parade at MGM. It was a little
girl with dirty blond hair. She was abducted by a woman wearing a blue
jacket and jeans who also had dirty blond hair.

How do I know this? I just happend to be wearing a blue jacket and
jeans. Both my daughter and I have dirty blond hair. My mother was also
with us. As we were leaving the park, we were asked by a police officer
if anything unusual had happened to us during the parade. We said no,
and continued on to the AK bus. The next thing we know, there was a
security official at the door of our bus, to keep us on and everyone
off. The police officer then boarded the bus and explained what had
happened. He then proceeded to question us to determine whether or not
my daughter was the kidnapped little girl. Of course she was, and after
he was able to verify the fact, we were allowed to go on our way.

We checked with guest services the next day and were told that the
missing child had been located and reunited with her family.

Please, please, please keep your children close. I cannot even imagine
what that family went through."

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alyssa098
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alyssa098   E-mail Alyssa098   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He then proceeded to question us to determine whether or not

I wonder if they kept looking after they found out her daughter was indeed the kidnapped little girl.
Posts: 66 | From: Walkerton, ON | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even more info:

"The child in question, if she was near in age to my own child, was young. Young as in two, maybe three, tops. According to the police officer who questioned me, the child had been in a stroller, not walking on her own. Again, according to the officer, witnesses saw the woman wheel the stroller away, but assumed the child belonged to the woman until her parents realized she was missing and began searching for her. He had a very specific description to go on.

I don't know what the resolution was, only that they found the child safe at some point."

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that is extremely scary - and one of my biggest fears as a parent.

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Based on the sketchy detail provided so far, this could simply be a case of a woman who confused a stroller similar in appearance with her own.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Based on the sketchy detail provided so far, this could simply be a case of a woman who confused a stroller similar in appearance with her own.

- snopes

If that's the case, then her own child and stroller were left behind. I would think she would have realized sooner or later that she picked the wrong stroller, and reported it so she could straighten the whole mess out.

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If that's the case, then her own child and stroller were left behind.
Sure, and they might have been left in the care of her husband or other family member, so there was no alarm about someone's finding an unattended stroller.

quote:
I would think she would have realized sooner or later that she picked the wrong stroller, and reported it so she could straighten the whole mess out.
How do you know that isn't what happened?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wow, that is extremely scary - and one of my biggest fears as a parent.
My own incident didn't last all of 5 minutes, but
I can tell that was long enough to experience that feeling to last me a life time.

My wife and I where at Disney Land with my son, who was about 5 at the time. We went to the restroom. It was very busy, so my son went first at a urinal with me behind him, then I went while I thought he was right behind me. When I finished and he was not, I immediately went outside and looked. He was not to be found. We where just getting the attention of an employee to sound the alarm when another employee came out of the “Aladdin” show that we where going to attend with my son. He had gone back without us.

That minute or three where the longest of my life.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

My guess is the stroller part was added later. I suspect the child wandered off. A bystander thought she saw a child being led away by another lady. (More than likely the other lady she saw had her own child and had nothing to do with anything.) Security thought the eyewitness was reliable and ran with that.

Then the child was probably found in a store or something and all was well.

--------------------

Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
If that's the case, then her own child and stroller were left behind.
Sure, and they might have been left in the care of her husband or other family member, so there was no alarm about someone's finding an unattended stroller.

quote:
I would think she would have realized sooner or later that she picked the wrong stroller, and reported it so she could straighten the whole mess out.
How do you know that isn't what happened?

- snopes

First point: Perhaps, but I wouldn't take my kid and stroller without letting my spouse know so he/she doesn't panic (unless you wanted such panic to "teach him a lesson"). I'd be more upset that hubby wasn't watching junior and would be looking for him instead of nonchalantly strolling away.

Second point: Maybe, but it seems it wasn't reported rigth away, or else the parking lot searches wouldn't be implemented.

Anyway, I was speculating based on the level of my skeptic-o-meter (tm).

--------------------

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

quote:
First point: Perhaps, but I wouldn't take my kid and stroller without letting my spouse know so he/she doesn't panic (unless you wanted such panic to "teach him a lesson"). I'd be more upset that hubby wasn't watching junior and would be looking for him instead of nonchalantly strolling away.
Let's say a family with several kids makes a visit to Disneyland. Since not all the kids have the same interests, Mom and Dad split up to visit different attractions, each taking some of the kids with them and agreeing to meet on Main St. at 3:00 P.M. for the big parade.

Towards the end of the parade, little Johnny tells his mother he doesn't want to go with Dad and the other kids to the Haunted Mansion next; he wants to go on Space Mountain. But the park is crowded and they don't have a FastPass for that attraction, so Mom whispers to her husband that she and Johnny are going to sneak away from the parade a little early to get over to Space Mountain before the lines get long. While Dad and the other kids still have their eyes fixed on the parade, Mom takes Johnny and a stroller she mistakenly thinks is hers and heads off towards Space Mountain.

When the parade ends, Dad looks around and gathers the remaining kids -- including the baby in the real stroller, whom he nonchalantly assumes Mom has left in his care while she takes Johnny on Space Mountain. Neither parent "panics," because none of their kids isn't where he's supposed to be.

quote:
Second point: Maybe, but it seems it wasn't reported rigth away, or else the parking lot searches wouldn't be implemented.
But if the baby inside the stroller that Mom mistakenly wheeled off (thinking it was hers) was quiet and sleeping, there might not have been a reason for her to have checked it "right away" and thereby discover her mistake.

- snopes

Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know the MGM parade is boring but how bored would you have to be to be paying more attention to other people's children? and to remember exact details about who rolled off with a particular one in a sea of little ones? Surprisingly a lot of people's family members come by to get the little ones from other family members or friends. That's not unusual... unless of course the kid had sat there abandoned for long enough to take note of. Or unless the parent screamed as the child was being dragged away. But if that was the case I think the person would've been caught pretty quick.

As far as stollers go I'm always amazed on how honest most people are. I often left stuff in the stroller or even hanging off it and no one has ever once taken my stroller (and it is mine, I take my own. I think I've only rented once) or my stuff (at any park, fair, or anyplace else). Of course I never left anything expensive in it (but still I've seen people steal lighters from venders).

This has been true from Disney to Tweetsie (size doesn't seem to matter). The reason I mention Tweetsie is that I've left the stroller at the bottom of a ski type lift, when visiting the upper section of the park, for long periods of time. Simular to parking a stroller out front of one of many long Disney attractions (and I'm not just talking about lines but things that take a while like the Backlot Tour, the Great Movie Ride, the shows, ect. if we are talking MGM).

ETA: I often travel to Florida with my parents and my child. At the Magic Kingdom my parents will sit with my kid for the last five minutes of the night parade while I grab us good seats at the Tearace so we can grab a bite to eat while we watch the fire works. I wonder why no one ever wondered why the mommy ran away, or who the old people who took the kid off were? (I've done the disney thing since birth and our family has developed certian routines that are now getting very thrown off by major changes in the parks.)

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

snopes, we can get into all kinds of possible scenarios why this possibly happened. The "accidentally took the wrong stroller" excuse still smells like yesterday's diapers to me.

BTW, if little Johnny was tall enough to go on Space Mountain, he wouldn't be a 3 year old in a stroller.

But I get your point.

Anyway, all's well that ends well...

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When we finally got to the exit,
and they looked inside each car.

Isn't this a violation of a little something we like to call the Fourth Amendment?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He then proceeded to question us to determine whether or not

Is this supposed to say "Of course she was not"? If it is written as intended then I don't quite understand what happened here.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pogue- I think they would be allowed to do it because of probable cause or something along that line.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Zombie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Zombie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Captain Zombie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pogue - exigent circumstances can suspend a lot of rights - especially when a child's life/safety may be at stake.

--------------------
1st Infantry, SpecialOps Brigade - The Iron Faction.
I survived Initiation 2005... with Naked Mole Rat Sumotori and Bill O'Reilly

Posts: 264 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mah-humbug:
quote:

Isn't this a violation of a little something we like to call the Fourth Amendment?

Pogue

It is, but most people are going to cooperate because a) they just go along as it is easier, b) they want to help find the missing kid, and/or c) they don't want the police to think they have something to hide.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mah-humbug:
quote:

Pogue

It is, but most people are going to cooperate because a) they just go along as it is easier, b) they want to help find the missing kid, and/or c) they don't want the police to think they have something to hide.
I doubt the police "made every car open their trunk". I'm sure it was more along the lines of "A child may have been obducted, may we please look in your trunk?"

Of course if you said "NFBSK you officer" then you would be asked to exit the line and may have been there a very long time.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages