snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Harry Potter theme park?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harry Potter theme park?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 208 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney executives are reportedly looking at a huge complex with rides devoted to the Harry Potter stories. The Singapore site would occupy a full city block and rise to six or seven storeys.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16510988&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=dream-park-for-potter--name_page.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it a Warner Bros exclusive maker (ergo to be on at orlando studios) via grants from the filmmaker and from writer JK Rowling?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they really made this, I would move there. I'm such a dork.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would hang myself. That would be the ultimate bastardization of Harry Potter. And the tooth paste, birthday theme kits, and bandages are pretty bad.

-----------------------
-----------------------
No, not really. [fish]

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But what will the pCms say? This place will truly be the portal to hell! Or Satanism. Or something like that.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
God I hope not... I love HP and I think it would be... ugh. I dunno. Plus it doesn't really seem like something Disney would put time & energy into... I mean, why make a theme park for another company's franchise? That makes NO sense whatsoever. And was it just me or was that a very poorly written article?

Edited because "extremely poorly" doesn't sound quite right.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The article says the site would be a large building occupying a single city block with several different floors. So "theme park" in the sense that Disney World is a theme park is an overstatement. It sounds more on the scale of Circus Circus in Las Vegas, or a few of the buildings in Epcot Center stacked on top of each other.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 600 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Bill D.
-----------------------
-----------------------
No, not really.

Sure you are. Does Winston-Salem have....uh...Lincoln? No? Well Illinois does, so there! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now wait a minute here. Warner is the Distributor for Harry POtter films right? Warner Also ownes Six Flags Theme Parks right? Wouldnt it make sense for Six Flags to be part of this since Rowling probably is on very good terms with Warner allready? Thats just confusing to me I guess.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as they're serving butter beer at the quiddich matches, I don't care who's putting on the show!

Tow "I've read all the books, but only once, so that only makes me a semi hp dork" knie

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from fremder:
quote:
posted by Bill D.
-----------------------
-----------------------
No, not really.

Sure you are. Does Winston-Salem have....uh...Lincoln? No? Well Illinois does, so there! [Big Grin]
Yeah! Take THAT, you jealousy-denying cigarette-city-living person, you!

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know....Charlotte area used to have Jim & Tammy Faye's theme park. Could be it's available!

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd only like this if they could lure all the Harmonians there-- and seal the doors.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whats a Harmonian?
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maj. Burns
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maj. Burns   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
Whats a Harmonian?

People who pine for a Harry/Hermione pairing, and refuse to accept the very idea of Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. Some of them are just downright frightening.
Posts: 116 | From: Manasquan, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Hit Parade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Hit Parade   E-mail The Hit Parade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Disney bit doesn't make sense, but if anybody doubts there's a market for it, they should try getting into the Reptile House at London Zoo on a weekend, or at any other time when there are children around. They shot a scene for one of the films there.
Posts: 19 | From: Harrow, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would only go if they had a non-lame translation of Quiddich. As they are not likely to... and as I am not likely to EVER travel to Singapore in my life... the issue is somewhat moot.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
quote:
Originally posted by candy from fremder:
quote:
posted by Bill D.
-----------------------
-----------------------
No, not really.

Yeah! Take THAT, you jealousy-denying cigarette-city-living person, you!
[hijack] Hey you guy forgot that we have corn, soybeans, and……corn…..and…….corn *has something whispered in her ear* No! Chicago doesn’t count that’s not really Illinois. Well crap, so southern/central Illinois is lame. *imitates local cheesy radio ad* But we like it here! *gives a thumbs up* Oh who the hell am I kidding. [/hijack]

mystic burrito

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, since the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, and the building of Expedition Everest...

They are definitely NOT building a theme park in Singapore. In addition to the reputation it has, Disney would have to do a LOT of research as to where they could place it. Singapore is also not quite as wealthy as Hong Kong, so many people would not be able to afford it.

As to Harry Potter? J.K. Rowling doesn't want things spreading out too thin. Giving two rival film distribution companies rights could be bad...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages