snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney dash

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney dash
The Unsung Hero
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 03 posted      Profile for The Unsung Hero         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone heard of "Disney Dash"? Supposedly it is a commonly-known practice among employees at Disney Stores, and they can even "lose their job" by allowing people to do it. In case it isn't common knowledge among EVERYONE like the lady at the Disney Store implied, Disney Dashing is when you try to go straight through the store, touch the back wall, and go out the store again without having an employee approach you. Today my friend's younger sister was having her thirteenth birthday, and they were doing a scavenger hunt around town. They got to the mall and had to Disney Dash, but an employee there approached them as they neared the back wall. She was apparently somewhat rude, and acted as if everyone already knew about Disney Dashing. I know I didn't! Anyone have any info?

[ 29. November 2005, 04:27 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
"Oh, is that what the kids call it these days..." - Some genius

Posts: 30 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yayami Mutou, The Order's Blader
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yayami Mutou, The Order's Blader   E-mail Yayami Mutou, The Order's Blader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can promise you not EVERYONE knows about "Disney Dash". This is the first I've ever heard of it at all. When I had the great misfortune of working in a mall, I somehow ended up becoming best friends with the manager at our local Disney Store. When we would sit outside on our lunch break, she would tell me all the weird Disney Store games (at least ones commonly practiced in our area) that teenagers pulled (example: Climbing the gigantic mountain of stuffed toys at the back of the store without being kicked out.) She never once mentioned anything along the lines of "Disney Dashing." Though I can pretty much garuntee you that employees would not "lose their job" for allowing it. Disney Store employees are encouraged to greet/approach every customer that walks in, but it isn't required. Frankly, sometimes it's not even possible.

--------------------
Sephiroth Memorial Escape Clause
Any misdeed up to and including multiple genocide is forgiveable if you're cool enough.

Posts: 44 | From: Washington | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of it either. I don't understand why this is supposed to be fun.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have something similar with the local best buys. Any place where the salespeople get commisioned. Upon entering the store, split up and see who lasts the longests before getting offered assistance.

I've found the most sucessful method of scaring off the salespeople is to go to the cheaper products and look really confused.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
We have something similar with the local best buys. Any place where the salespeople get commisioned. Upon entering the store, split up and see who lasts the longests before getting offered assistance.

I've found the most sucessful method of scaring off the salespeople is to go to the cheaper products and look really confused.

Best Buy doesn't commision sales people.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by qualli:
[qb] Best Buy doesn't commision sales people.

hunh.

...maybe they're just eager then. It's still fun

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You found a sales associate in Best Buy?!? That's amazing! The last time I was in one I had money my family gave me to buy a TV (because every civilized person has to own a TV). I stood by the TV I wanted for about 20 minutes, then I ran down several employees from other departments that were un able to assist me and also visted the customer servicedesk who called for someone to assit me multiple times (each time nobody showed up) before I gave up. I then went to Circuit City (I'm assuming they are commisioned... if they aren't they are just damned good employees on their own), I waved the money in the air and said I wanted to buy a TV. I was in an out of their in just a few minutes with the thing loaded in my car by store employees (of course I had to decline the extended warrentee policy but not a biggie). I used to hate commission and pushy sales men until that incident... now I realize that they can be rather helpful at times. Well, actualy I realized that early when I was on company rembersement for clothing. I went to a commision store. I went up to the sales person and gave them a list of my size and needs (things like three white oxford shirts sized medium, 2 pair kacky (sp) slacks size 6, a tie or ascot (yes, I'm female but that job required everyone to wear a jacket and neckware), ect. with no price range cause I wasn't paying the bill) and they went and found everything for me within a couple minutes. It was painless [ETA: That particular store was known for convience shopping. You could phone in the type of thing you were looking for, your size, the price range and they'd have a few garments waiting for you to try on when you got there). I've never found any such service at any Best Buy ever... not only is it not as great as some I don't think I've ever found any worse.

As far as the OP goes I've wandered around a Disney Store for a while without being asked for assistance... even when trying to seek assistance (because I wanted to buy a locked up watch). Although I don't think the employees were at fault. They seemed to just be running damage control. It seems too many parents drop their kids off their to roam wild. I don't know if commision had anything to do with it. However I'll admit this was several years ago... times might have changed.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of "Disney Dash", but I plan on asking my teenage kids. It does sound like something they and their friends might do.

Mac "yes, they have been kicked out of the mall" Lloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps a “Victoria’s Secret” dash would be more of a challenge. When I was last in New York with my sister we decided to have a look in Victoria’s Secret. Big Mistake- we were the only customers there and within the first minute we had at least 5 salespeople asking us if what we were looking for and going through their special offer spiel- every time we made our excuses to get away another one seemed to surface so we had to spend time fobbing them off instead of actually looking around and seeing what kind of undies they had in. My sis is not usually the type to be put off by over assertive shop assistants but we just gave up and went before we were submerged beneath a heap of pushy sales people waving tape measures at us.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread made me think of this:

quote:
"Start climbing on the shelves."
(the best way to get some customer assistance in Home Depot)

~Michael J. Nelson

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell, I used to do that to help customers and I was an associate! (This was at STAPLES though) lol

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They sure bug the hell out of you though, in certain sections at least. Cell phones and electronics being the ones I've noticed it most. When I bought my surround sound system I had to carefully avoid a pack of them so I could throw it on a cart and run to the checkout stand so I wouldn't be harrassed about buying a service plan or try to be up-sold or something.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Red Squirrel
Perhaps a “Victoria’s Secret” dash would be more of a challenge.

Frederick's of Hollywood is even worse (if you can imagine). As soon as I walked in the saleswoman asked if I needed her to find my bra size. I politely declined, as I was looking for panties, not a bra. She asked me several more times so I finally said "Well alright. What time do you get off work?" in a flirtatious way. She stopped asking.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mraiford
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mraiford   E-mail mraiford   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
quote:

They sure bug the hell out of you though, in certain sections at least. Cell phones and electronics being the ones I've noticed it most. When I bought my surround sound system I had to carefully avoid a pack of them so I could throw it on a cart and run to the checkout stand so I wouldn't be harrassed about buying a service plan or try to be up-sold or something.
They aren't commissioned, per se, but they do get perks for selling service plans, or certain brands of products (usually free CD's or something like that), so there is a pressure to sell those things.

(slight hijack)

A while back, I had a few DVDs of our wedding recorded by one of those new Sony DVD handicams. Upon receiving them, we found that they wouldn't play, after a while searching for the problem we found out the disk had to be "finalized". Our solution? Head down to the local Best Buy and find the model of camera her aunt used.

We were approached by a couple associates, given a few funny looks, while we were putting disks in the camera pushing buttons and waiting. One even asked if there was anything he could help us with, and I explained what we were doing. He just simply said, "Oh, okay, people come in here all the time to do that" ... [Confused]

Posts: 91 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
working in retail you would be surprised on the ammount of negitive feedback from people that we dont provide guest service (and this is at Target mind you). The reason we ask is actually two fold. Drive sales, and actually acknowlege that they are there and are willing to help them. Of course we generally are supposed to ask once and if they say no, oh well. But everybody is supposed to ask everyone.

We have a liitle flyer at our store that says "one more item in each cart is 2 million in sales per year" Thats why we ask.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding BestBuy, one opened nearby a few months ago. We went there twice and both times, we were not bugged at all and had no problems finding a clerk to assist us. *shrug*

Regarding Disney Dash, well, in a way, put yourself in the place of an employee. Someone rushes in, gets to the end of the store, then rushes back out. Wouldn't your first thought be "shoplifter"?

(edited for verb tense and such)

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if someone at Disney came up with this to get bodies in the store. How often do the dashers get distracted by something they decide they want?
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the "shoplifter" thought - but usually you get them on camera and then know, don't you? - I'm a little at a loss why this should be fun or risky or whatever. Okay, when kids don't kill themselves with their rites, just the better, but a guy going into a store, harming and disturbing no one, and getting out again without having made a purchase - that's hardly a thing worth talking about, is it? Therefore I don't see this "Gee, I've done it" to justify doing it.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:

Ooh, ooh, I know how to win this one!

Be female.

I swear, any time I enter an electronics store on my own, salespeople treat me like I have open sores on my face, but if I go in with DH, we can't beat 'em off with a stick.

Or maybe it's because I'm usually standing in front of the cheapter products, looking really confused [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which reminds me of another story: my last computer was built by a friend of mine. She's got a degree in Applied Computer Science and she liked it, so we went ahead to some shop, considered what I needed, I bought it and gave it to her to build. Next saturday, she came round, and we found that one wire was not long enough to connect everything, so we went to the local computer store to get some fitting wire. I absolutely had no idea what we needed (I'm an absolute moron when it comes to any kind of manual work), but then I just needed to pay. So, we went in.

The owner came to me and asked me what we needed. My friend chimed in and told me. He actually didn't even notice, but asked me again. I told him that I was only there to pay and accompany and that my friend was in the know. "A girl???" was the response (said "girl" was 25 or 26 at that time... you may use "woman". Better yet: you learn that sometimes women are the ones in the know technically. Especially when it is said directly to you).

But okay, a different story. I just got reminded.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had the experience of being ignored while standing in an electronics store practically waving my money around, and I've wondered if it's because I'm female.

However, I've been pleasantly surprised several times at stores like Lowe's and Home Depot. For example, when I was replacing the light fixture over my medicine cabinet, I discovered that there was no electrical box behind it. The wires just came out of a hole in the wall. I conferred with the Home Depot employee, who said I should definitely fix that. I mumbled something about an electrician, and he said, "You don't need an electrician. You can do this." He then explained the repair and helped me find everything I needed to complete it.

And he was right. I did it. I muffed cutting the hole for the box, and there's a little gap between it and drywall in one place, but