snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney gives Christian money to gays (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Disney gives Christian money to gays
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing the original hijack:

quote:
On an equally silly note, I once heard someone say that Pinocchio was a metaphor for sex, since his nose got bigger and smaller. Unfortunately, I believe this person was serious.
Wait wait! I've got a better one!

I saw The Jungle Book (the disney movie) for the first time when I was 16. Why? Well.....

(please take careful notice of quotation marks)

"The Jungle Book is a retelling of the classic Adam and Eve Bible story. However, The Jungle Book places an unnecessary emphasis on the snake (forgive me, I can't remember his name), dare I say, POSITIVE emphasis on the snake. Therefore, the movie is the devil because it makes Satan look good."

Obviously rephrased (intelligence added), but I swear...it's true.

My mother is one crazy woman.

ETA: For the record - I know it seems like I make up a lot of crazy stories about my mother. However, I swear they're all true. My mother is the definition of pCm.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:

Many Christians are very emotional, and people in general seem to want to believe the first thing they hear, so combine those two things, and there's no convincing some people once they hear something.

I believe it is what you call "Taking it on Faith"
After all, one of the basic tenets of Christianity is that after a man was beaten, given 40 lashes, and died 3 hours after being nailed to a tree, was up and talking to his followers 3 days later (also going without food and water during that time as well).

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackroses19:
"The Jungle Book is a retelling of the classic Adam and Eve Bible story. However, The Jungle Book places an unnecessary emphasis on the snake (forgive me, I can't remember his name), dare I say, POSITIVE emphasis on the snake. Therefore, the movie is the devil because it makes Satan look good."

In that case, they ought to *like* the Disney version. In Kipling's original, Kaa is big, scary, powerful, and dangerous. In the Disney animation, he's clumsy, silly, foolish, and stupid!

(I always loved Kaa, in the original book. But, then, I'm an unreconstructed Freudian...)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
]
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderchild:

I've said before: Jesus himself is a great guy. It's a lot of the people who claim to be his friend that annoy me.

I recently saw a bumper sticker attributing a quote to Gandhi: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are not much like your Christ" or something to that effect. I also really enjoy something a friend of mine said about the "WWJD" bracelets.. "Welcome, moneychangers, back to the Temple"

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
]
quote:

I've said before: Jesus himself is a great guy. It's a lot of the people who claim to be his friend that annoy me.

I recently saw a bumper sticker attributing a quote to Gandhi: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are not much like your Christ" or something to that effect. I also really enjoy something a friend of mine said about the "WWJD" bracelets.. "Welcome, moneychangers, back to the Temple"
[hijack]I just saw a license plate this morning that read "WWJD 4U2". It made me laugh quite a bit, thinking "well, I guess he'd make them the biggest rock band on the face of the earth".[/hijack] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what's even more shocking!
The government gives money from groups Christians regularly attack to Christians! (Bible belt is mainly welfare states)

Oh, and any organization that recieves money from the government is indirectly recieving communist funds! (because U.S. borrows so much from China)

And.. many scholarship funds give Muslim money to Jews and the other way around too!! (They don't discriminate against Jews or Muslims, therefore if Muslim money is donated it can be given to Jews or Muslims)

And then one can get into groups that donate to or recieve benefit from the Red Cross.

Well, really now when you get down to the nitty-gritty its kind of hard to track and/or control things. The real question is, what kind of people does it make Christians look like that they have a problem funding any less fortunate?

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marzndruz
Silly rabbi, kicks are for Trids!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marzndruz   E-mail Marzndruz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
]
quote:

Or [paraphrased] Rita Mae Brown's "If the Lord God is so almighty and powerful, why does he have such a hard time getting good help?"

--------------------
My doctor told me to drink more. I didn't realize he was talking about water.

Posts: 183 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or [paraphrased] Rita Mae Brown's "If the Lord God is so almighty and powerful, why does he have such a hard time getting good help?"
Any celebrity is bound to attract his share of crazies.

(BTW, Deansinger, I posted the remark about Jesus being a great guy, not Thunderchild.)

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Canuckistan, I occasionally still have problems cutting down big quotes to a usable size without messing up the credits. I offer my apologies.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No worries. Just give some money to Disney so they can give it to teh gays, and all will be forgiven. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Point #1. No organization the size of Disney would be stupid enough to "get back" at a group, especially a religious group and mock them publicly.

Point #2. Not all Christians are against teh gay.

Point #3. Raw venison causes the runs. I'll be right back.

Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
okie medicvet
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okie medicvet   E-mail okie medicvet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this thread, and this site is proving more and more interesting the more I read..

A lot of good comments and open and honest and non-hate filled and venom spewed remarks here. I like that.

oh and Cinderella is a total slut and got kicked out of disneyland.

Kept sitting on pinnochios face and telling him to lie...

[lol]

Posts: 19 | From: Stigler, OK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as long as everyone else is getting their own little religious hijack in,.....

quote:
Originally posted by YakkoW:
I've always appreciated C.S. Lewis' comments on marriage in his book Mere Christianity. Lewis believed that divorce was unacceptable for Christians, and says so quite plainly. But he follows that up with this:

quote:
....There ought to be two distinct kinds of marriage: one governed by the State with rules enforced on all citizens, the other governed by the Church with rules enforced by her on her own members. The distinction ought to be quite sharp, so that a man knows which couples are married in a Christian sense and which are not.
I wonder whether similar principles might apply here. Certainly, I would find it helpful to distinguish between "church marriage" and "state marriage" in a discussion like this. You know?[/QB]
The Catholic church actually has this kind of distinction. If you are a Catholic and you get divorced, you can not receive Communion or be re-married in the church (and, I think other sacraments, too). The idea being that mariage means more to the Catholic church. Now, of course, you can get an annullment....

PT "[/hijack]" Vroman

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While Disney *does* employ many people that may be homosexual, they do not *give* money to gay rights groups. The Night of Joy that's Christian based is paid for BY the Christian group. The Gay Days in WDW is not funded by Walt Disney World. It is actually an annual event that gay rights groups put together themselves. Disney accepts it, because not letting them do it would be discriminatory.

(as a side note: if you ever go to WDW in June, do *not* wear a red t-shirt during the weekends...)

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another point (just to be a lil goofy...)

If they were so concerned about their money going to places they don't agree with, then they can just go to The Holy Land Experience theme park. I would love to go there one day, wearing my t-shirt that says "Everyone love a Jewish girl"

You know...I wonder how the Christians would feel if they knew some of the things I do...(Feel free to PM me for some of the "secrets"...my screen name is one of the examples)

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, only because you brought it up, I imagine we can pretty well figure it out for ourselves! [Big Grin]

Okay, okay, I got it! [fish]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Setzer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Setzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Setzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of the marriage/civil union thing:

-Marriage is a generally religious thing.
-Civil Union is the same, minus religion.

Though it's not likely to ever happen, I'd classify all State or Federal (Benefits) as Civil Unions. You want to call it marriage, fine; If not, fine. Marriage isn't about getting things, it's about love.

Posts: 104 | From: Worden, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mickey is a gyrl:
The Holy Land Experience theme park. I would love to go there one day, wearing my t-shirt that says "Everyone love a Jewish girl"

Something tells me that they wouldn't really be that accepting of my Rob Zombie shirt either.

And my evil side thinks that it would be hilarious if instead of Disney, they decided to do "Gay Day" there... [Big Grin]

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SparkStalker:
quote:
Originally posted by mickey is a gyrl:
The Holy Land Experience theme park. I would love to go there one day, wearing my t-shirt that says "Everyone love a Jewish girl"

Something tells me that they wouldn't really be that accepting of my Rob Zombie shirt either.

And my evil side thinks that it would be hilarious if instead of Disney, they decided to do "Gay Day" there... [Big Grin]

That would be great!

Oh, BTW- I remember what weekend is Gay Days. It's the first weekend in June. So unless you're gay, do not wear a red shirt in Disney World in the first weekend of June.

--------------------

DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So how exactly do I know when I'm carrying Christian money, vice "normal" money?

Is Jesus on the one dollar bill?

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

No, Desert! Money is Satan's lure!

I bet this woman would say Disney is tainted...

--------------------

momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OH MY GOD!!!!! I saw the commercials for this one but she is a freak!!!!

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flyp the Byrdie:

I couldn't watch all of that. I needed to run and hide from the freaky woman...

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-

Gotta love these judges of all things evil and "dark-sided" (or was she saying "dork-sided"?).

quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
So how exactly do I know when I'm carrying Christian money, vice "normal" money?

It's money that's been blessed by the woman in the above link.

--------------------

Vulgaris and the Infinite Blandness
Deck the Malls

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Vulgaris and the Infinite Blandness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vulgaris and the Infinite Blandness       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw that show. Both parts.

Now I get an image of her every time I see someone goin' all bash-happy.

--------------------
Attention: If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Posts: 240 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pando Raspox
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pando Raspox   E-mail Pando Raspox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's a good thing my kids aren't home schooled! Then I'd have to teach them things like bigotry, sin, and stupidity! Whew! Helping with math homework is bad enough.
Also, why are you using money that has Masonic/ Egyptian symbols? Isn't worshipping all those evil green papers a sin? If you ask me, I think you should stop earning, spending, and using them for political gain. Why don't you use the barter system-it's the only non-hypocritical thing to do?

Posts: 22 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. My. God. I'm torn between laughing like hell and feeling sorry for her daughter in the orange shirt who just looks mortified at her mother's behavior.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so confused. Was that link really on "Trading Spaces"? Or am I confused and it was "Trading Spouses"?

Either way, that woman seemed seriously crazy -- and the fact that she eventually accepted the $50,000 that she was so awful about makes her behavior even stranger.

Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I stopped about half way through...And with not ever seeing a single star wars film, Darth Vader will have a hard time recruiting now [fish]
I guess I'm evil too because I don't go to church...but I believe in god...AND some astrology...hmm Libras RAWK! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

*his new favourite image to scare small children with*

> [Smile]

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrow-Tech IV:
I'm so confused. Was that link really on "Trading Spaces"? Or am I confused and it was "Trading Spouses"?

Either way, that woman seemed seriously crazy -- and the fact that she eventually accepted the $50,000 that she was so awful about makes her behavior even stranger.

It was "Trading Spouses", and Fox was promoting the hell out of her. I saw enough on the comercials to know she was a train wreck.

And this is exactly why I don't like "reality television". I can put up with "Trading Spaces"; I like "The Surreal Life" (especially when you had Tammy Fae Baker (whatever her new name is) and Ron Jeremy on the same show). I can not handle the ones that play with people's emotions, or use someone like this as a modern-day side-show. "Step right up! Come see the emotional cripple! Watch as we humiliate her on national television for your enjoyment! We promise a spectacle never before seen! Pay no attention to the fact that we edit out the reasonable stuff and only show you things to make her look like a total loon!"

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dammit...now I'm laughing too hard to work... [lol]
Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SparkStalker:
quote:

Dammit...now I'm laughing too hard to work... [lol]
Glad to know I can make your day...
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
Gotta love these judges of all things evil and "dark-sided" (or was she saying "dork-sided"?).

I think the Dork-Side is on the other side of the Dork Forest... (Jackie Kashian fans know where that is)

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ringotaku
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ringotaku   E-mail ringotaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
best thread ever. as for gays and christians try this one. I'm agnostic, my best friend is christian. We have intelligent conversations about many religious topics. He finds it funny that I, a heterosexual male, can write a character that is a bisexual female.

And we both like Disney. well some of their movies suck.

--------------------
Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

Posts: 76 | From: Dublin, GA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages