snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney gives Christian money to gays (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Disney gives Christian money to gays
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Deansinger:
Does anyone else see a world of difference between mocking pCm's and mocking Christ?

"What you do to the least of mine, you do to me."
Touche`. Coming from a Christian who still has doubts about Organized Religion, what I wonder is whether these souls misguided by the narrow mindedness of the "religious right" are following (for lack of a better phrase) a True Path. Are they His? It comes down to faith, and the argument could go on forever without resolution. I do thank you for giving me a point to think about though. [Smile]
As given as I am to the joy of the mock, I have to say that one of the ideals of Christianity which is one of my own (and which I fail to live up to just as many Christians do) is that mockery is not good.

Another magnificent thing that Jesus taught: "If I have done wrong, bear witness to that wrong, but why do you strike me?"

When people are bad, say so...but making humor of it is not really a great idea.

After all, if one mocks a Christian, one could be said to mock Christ...but if one instructs a Christian and corrects his error, one adds to the glory of Christ.

Silas (but, alas, you will see me in mockery again and again)

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to quibble a bit here, by claiming that too many of these pCms mock themselves. I don't see it as mockery to simply draw attention to the stupid and vicious things they do themselves.

Wasn't it Donald Wildmon himself who waited to endorse the boycott against Disney until the Sunday after he'd taken his own grandkids to Disneyland? Didn't he explain that they'd been so excited about the trip for so long that he didn't have the heart to disappoint them?

Robert Schuler mailed out photos of himself atop the Great Wall of China, in a request for funds to support his continuing mission to rescue the Chinese for Jesus. Then, it was discovered that he'd never been to China, the photos were faked. He issued a series of layered denials, first claiming that the whole thing was a lie, he'd never sent any such pictures, then that he had but printed the wrong date on them, then that he did go to China, but after the photos were mailed out, and so forth.

When I repeat these stories, I'm not the one doing the mockery! It's the hypocritical bozos who insult their congregations, and the rest of us, and most importantly the memory of this great Teacher they're so loud about. They mock Him, and make a joke of their own faith. I'm just helping them find a larger audience.

Or that's the way I see it, anyway. Believers will, of course, disagree.

Dog Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Friendly:
I'm going to quibble a bit here, by claiming that too many of these pCms mock themselves. I don't see it as mockery to simply draw attention to the stupid and vicious things they do themselves. . . .When I repeat these stories, [b]I'm not the one doing the mockery!

I partly agree, partly don't agree...

I agree that it is right and fair and just to expose their hypocrisies.

Where it devolves to mockery, alas, is when we take pleasure in it.

Take a look at the crucifixion (or the execution of a criminal today...) The Roman guards just did the job; it was the frenzied crowds that enjoyed the spectacle.

The reason I'm drawing this distinction is that I, too, take pleasure when Wildmon or Roberton or Phelps is exposed as a fool. I chortle with the same stupid glee as did the crowds at Jerusalem (or outside San Quentin.)

And...I dislike that, even in myself.

By the way, there was a lovely cartoon in one of the more recent "Tom the Dancing Bug" comics by Reuben Bolling: "What if...a minister and a rabbi went to a bar...and no joke ensued?" (The minister says, "Don't you find it gratifying to attend to the spiritual needs of your congregation?" And the rabbi says, "Yes, I do indeed.")

Silas (rumored to be a bit humor-impaired)

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a pCm? New to the boards and confused.

Also, having read this, I politely disagree with the poster that said that Christians are the largest political interest group (paraphrasing greatly) and the whole country caters to their whim. My personal opinion in this (and that's all it is, an OPINION.)is that this is a description of gays/lesbians. I realise I will not be agreed with and that's fine. *grin*

NOW. Having said that -- the original email just flat out does not make sense to me. How in the world can something that did not happen be used to twist and try to guilt other Christians into boycotting a company that does so much GOOD? I am just...BAFFLED.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon:
What is a pCm? New to the boards and confused.

The term means "pseudo-Christian moron" and was, I believe, originally coined for people like Fred Phelps and Jack Chick, who, although they speak in the name of the Lord, have left true Christian values so far behind that no one in their right mind would judge true Christianity by their words.

quote:

Also, having read this, I politely disagree with the poster that said that Christians are the largest political interest group (paraphrasing greatly) and the whole country caters to their whim. My personal opinion in this (and that's all it is, an OPINION.)is that this is a description of gays/lesbians. I realise I will not be agreed with and that's fine. *grin*

Friendly grin back at ya! Disagreement is cool; it is the very stuff of which democracy is made.

So, politely disagreeing, how much money do you figure Christian groups raise and spend in efforts to shape public opinion? How much do you estimate gay groups raise and spend? How many people are members of the respective activist communities?

I honestly don't know. I certainly don't have concrete numbers. I would, however, venture to wager that Christian activism outpulls gay activism by at least ten to one.

I also think that *both put together* are smaller than either tobacco or alcohol public-relations expenditures...

Silas

Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I honestly don't know. I certainly don't have concrete numbers. I would, however, venture to wager that Christian activism outpulls gay activism by at least ten to one.

I also think that *both put together* are smaller than either tobacco or alcohol public-relations expenditures...

[/QB]

Now, you see what happens when people politely disagree? Your last sentence is a prime example of it....

We end up finding things we agree on!! *grin*

As for the exact numbers, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that numbers-wise, you are more than likely correct. By sheer vocal power -- including the entertainment and news industries -- I believe I might be correct.

Hey! This means we're both right! How cool is that? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YakkoW
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 604 posted      Profile for YakkoW   E-mail YakkoW   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AzureLion:
Wait, doesn't Disney World have a "Night of Joy" (Christian music festival) every year?

Indeed they do. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by [some site visitor]:
...donated the entire amount to the Gay and Lesbian Action Fund.

quote:
Originally posted by Sandman:
Yes, Disney has donated money to the Gay and Lesbian Action Fund.

What on earth is the "Gay and Lesbian Action Fund"? I'm not familiar with any such organization/fund, and a quick Google search turns up only this thread. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
*ahem.* Point of order -- not all of us Christians are bigoted, conspiracy-prone wackaloons. Just thought I'd mention it.

Indeed. I think it's very unfortunate that there are so many folks out there who use their Christian faith as an excuse to turn their brains off. It's not limited to Christians, of course, but when Christians are forwarding the sort of urban legend e-mails we see on snopes.com, it gives all of us a bad name.

quote:

If the experience of this little gay Christian means anything, I'd say that it depends entirely on where your focus is.

Gay-friendly (and often anti-Christian) attitudes prevail in Hollywood, in my experience. If you live in L.A., I think you'd be much more likely to be ostracized for being a Christian (particularly a theologically conservative Christian) than for being gay.

Similarly, when I go see a movie, I know I'm much more likely to see positive portrayal of gay characters than I am to see positive portrayal of Christian characters. The Christian faith is often used as a backdrop for movies about demons and mystical secret societies, but rarely treated as a positive influence on the lives of real people.

On the other hand, in much of the country (such as here in the South where I live), I'm much more accepted as a Christian than I am as a gay person. The Christian ichthus (that ubiquitous fish) is on lots of people's cars; a church is on every corner; our local car dealer even refers to "the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" in his commercials at Easter. Sure, there are people with anti-Christian sentiment, but I can't imagine being beat up or called nasty names as a result of having my Bible with me, whereas I have had people drive by, honking their horns and yelling "faggot" out the window if I was walking a little too close to another guy, and there are times I've feared for my safety.

In the political spectrum, the gay movement has certainly made progress over the years, but I don't think they can be accused of having more influence than the Christian community. Let's face it, the Christian community (in general) strongly opposes same-sex marriage, while the gay community (in general) has been pushing for legalized same-sex marriage. So far, after years of campaigning on both sides, only 1 state has legalized same-sex marriage, while 45 states have passed legislation and/or amended their constitutions to explicitly forbid same-sex marriage. That's pretty far short of the whole country catering to the whims of the gay and lesbian community.

--Justin

Posts: 25 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YakkoW:
Let's face it, the Christian community (in general) strongly opposes same-sex marriage, while the gay community (in general) has been pushing for legalized same-sex marriage. So far, after years of campaigning on both sides, only 1 state has legalized same-sex marriage, while 45 states have passed legislation and/or amended their constitutions to explicitly forbid same-sex marriage. That's pretty far short of the whole country catering to the whims of the gay and lesbian community.

--Justin [/QB]

Actually, three states: Vermont, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. VT & CT call them 'civil unions', but both state's civil union statutes say that partners in a civil union enjoy all the benefits and protections of marriage, as well as the duties and obligations; a difference that makes no difference is no difference.

And as for Christians being against gay marriage, aren't the United Church of Christ, the Disciples of Christ, the Episcopalians, the Presbyterians, the AELC and the United Methodists together a fairly large segment of US Christians? All of these bodies have come out more-or-less strongly for acceptance of homosexuality. The Episcopalians even made an openly gay man a bishop, for crying out loud.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
a difference that makes no difference is no difference.

And yet, they refused to simply call it a marriage.

Two bathrooms, both have two toilets, two sinks, paper towels, and a mirror...one for white men only, one for black men. A difference that makes no difference still no difference?

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YakkoW

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YakkoW   E-mail YakkoW   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, three states: Vermont, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. VT & CT call them 'civil unions', but both state's civil union statutes say that partners in a civil union enjoy all the benefits and protections of marriage, as well as the duties and obligations; a difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Well, yes and no. Only Massachusetts offers same-sex marriage, but as you say, Vermont and Connecticut do offer civil unions.

The big difference is more than just wording. The majority of the important legal benefits of marriage are federal, not state benefits. A person who has a civil union is entitled only to the state-level benefits but does not receive the federal benefits given to married couples.

Of course, the point is moot right now anyway, since our federal government has already indicated it will deny federal marriage rights to even legally married same-sex couples.

quote:

And as for Christians being against gay marriage, aren't the United Church of Christ, the Disciples of Christ, the Episcopalians, the Presbyterians, the AELC and the United Methodists together a fairly large segment of US Christians? All of these bodies have come out more-or-less strongly for acceptance of homosexuality.

Well, two things.

1. While there are indeed groups within those denominations that support same-sex marriage, those groups do not, in most cases, have a majority and certainly do not represent the official stance of their respective organizations. The UCC is probably the most gay-friendly of the denominations you named, but only a portion of UCC congregations are classified as "Open and Affirming." The majority of organized Christians in the United States are still against same-sex marriage.

2. However, your point is definitely valid that it's not as if all Christians agree on this issue. But that makes my point even more strongly, doesn't it? If the strongest opponents of gay marriage are Christians, and if not even all Christians are opponents of gay marriage, and yet the laws are overwhelmingly in favor of the anti-gay-marriage view, doesn't that prove even more that Christians have a lot of political power in this country (or at the very least, that the gay lobby is not all-powerful)?

I'm just sayin'. [Smile]

--Justin

Posts: 25 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And Justin, you're saying it very well.

On a personal level, I am one hundred percent on the side of civil unions. I dislike it being called 'marriage' because of the religious connotations I have attached to that word.

*rant mode here*

But I will vote against it -- no matter what it is called -- so long as the local political people here keep running it as 'vote for this or you are automatically XYandZ' and other obnoxious things like that. I dislike in your face advertising. I dislike pushiness. And I will vote against anything -- ANY! THING! -- that uses those tactics.

Keep it low-key. Keep to the facts. No rhetoric. And I will vote for it every time.

*rant over. Zips up flamesuit*

--------------------

Silas Sparkhammer

But if you won't be manipulated by pushy advertising, then advertisers lose...and that means we *all* lose, as advertising is so vital a part of the American economy. Why, without advertising, you'd have to Pay Money to use Google or snopes! And without advertising, wouldn't our economy fall back to central planning, aka communism? Just think! If you oppose pushy ads, you're automatically in favor of communism!

Silas (joking, of course!)

YakkoW

Icon 604 posted      Profile for YakkoW   E-mail YakkoW   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And Justin, you're saying it very well.

Why thank you, Lady Moon. That's very kind of you. [Smile]

quote:
On a personal level, I am one hundred percent on the side of civil unions. I dislike it being called 'marriage' because of the religious connotations I have attached to that word.

I can totally understand that. I think it's imperative that the gay community understand that it's one thing to ask for a chance to live as one sees fit (even if others disagree), but it's quite another thing to suggest that people must agree with you.

I think there's a large number of Christians who would be happy to allow gay couples certain legal benefits, but just don't like the implication of calling a same-sex partnership a "marriage," since the term "marriage" has such major religious connotations. And I definitely understand and respect that view. [Smile]

The problem we all have to face - gay, straight, Christian, non-Christian - is that "marriage" is unfortunately both a religious institution and a civil institution. How do we deal with that?

I've always appreciated C.S. Lewis' comments on marriage in his book Mere Christianity. Lewis believed that divorce was unacceptable for Christians, and says so quite plainly. But he follows that up with this:

quote:
Before leaving the question of divorce, I should like to distinguish two things which are very often confused. The Christian conception of marriage is one: the other is the quite different question - how far Christians, if they are voters or Members of Parliament, ought to try to force their views of marriage on the rest of the community by embodying them in the divorce laws. A great many people seem to think that if you are a Christian yourself you should try to make divorce difficult for everyone. I do not think that. At least I know I should be very angry if the Mohammedans tried to prevent the rest of us from drinking wine. My own view is that the Churches should frankly recognise that the majority of the British people are not Christians and, therefore, cannot be expected to live Christian lives. There ought to be two distinct kinds of marriage: one governed by the State with rules enforced on all citizens, the other governed by the Church with rules enforced by her on her own members. The distinction ought to be quite sharp, so that a man knows which couples are married in a Christian sense and which are not.
I wonder whether similar principles might apply here. Certainly, I would find it helpful to distinguish between "church marriage" and "state marriage" in a discussion like this. You know?

Wow, I just suddenly realized how quickly this topic changed direction. I think it's my fault. Sorry about that! If I use the Mickey smiley at the top of this post, does that make it relevant again? [Big Grin]

--Justin

Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YakkoW:
Why thank you, Lady Moon. That's very kind of you. [Smile]

Hey. Just call 'em like I see 'em. [Big Grin]

quote:
I think there's a large number of Christians who would be happy to allow gay couples certain legal benefits, but just don't like the implication of calling a same-sex partnership a "marriage," since the term "marriage" has such major religious connotations. And I definitely understand and respect that view. [Smile]
That would be the consensus of all the thinking Christians I know, yes. Thank you for your understanding.

quote:
Certainly, I would find it helpful to distinguish between "church marriage" and "state marriage" in a discussion like this. You know?
Oh, precisely! Exactly!

--------------------

Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
But if you won't be manipulated by pushy advertising, then advertisers lose...and that means we *all* lose, as advertising is so vital a part of the American economy. Why, without advertising, you'd have to Pay Money to use Google or snopes! And without advertising, wouldn't our economy fall back to central planning, aka communism? Just think! If you oppose pushy ads, you're automatically in favor of communism!

Silas (joking, of course!)

*falls over laughing* [lol]

As a matter of fact, I don't let myself be manipulated by pushy advertising. [Wink] I'm allergic to so much stuff I have to get what's right for me and if something looks good to me, I'll buy it. I've bought into so many scare tactics along the way that I'm just burnt out. [Cool]

--------------------

Talulah
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is so annoying to me. I have recently started to believe in God again, and have decided to become christian. But whenever I read stuff like this, it makes me embarassed of that decision. I don't want to be like those people! They are crazy!

I think the real problem is, these people are not real christians. They have forgotten to judge not les` ya'll be judged. I don't agree with homosexuality, so I'm not going to DO it. I am not going to ralley against people getting health insurance! This is a sad sad pathetic excuse for a christian agenda. And embarassing!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the board, Talulah.

The point that Justin and C.S. Lewis make is more than valid. This is not a Christian country. The majority of Americans are, at least nominally, Christians. The country itself is officially non-sectarian.

I get quite annoyed by Christians demanding that the country follow Christian ideals. My annoyance stems from two points:

1. I am an active Catholic. My church and I do not accept many of the fundamentalist, evangelical beliefs that the Religious Right insist are "Christian ideals." Sorry, but requiring creationism or its pale cousin, Intelligent Design, be taught in schools is against my beliefs.

2. A growing number of Americans are not even nominally Christians. It's insulting to their beliefs to require them to follow Christian ideals. While Muslims have a set day of worship, it is not Sunday. So why should a Muslim have to obey Sunday Blue Laws?

I have been in theocratic countries. I would not like to live in one.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Senior, points very valid and very politely and well stated.

Talulah, what I do is follow what Jesus Christ said and did rather than what has become 'cultural Christianity' does. I've found that's the least crazy-making way to do it for myself.

--------------------

Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Senior, points very valid and very politely and well stated.

Talulah, what I do is follow what Jesus Christ said and did rather than what has become 'cultural Christianity' does. I've found that's the least crazy-making way to do it for myself.

Heck, I'm a hard-core militant atheist...and I follow a lot of what Jesus said. I'm a "Sermon on the Mount" humanist -- I hunger and thirst for justice (which is close to righteousness) and I cleave firmly to mercy and peace.

The modern day Pharisees in "Christian" clothing have adopted an evil fantasy: that only Christians can be good people. If there is a next life, I hope God gives them a lengthy talking-to.

Silas

smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been a very interesting thread. I have enjoyed reading the many points of views expressed here. If i can make oone personal observation about gay/christian/ atheists it would be this. In the US at this point in time, someone is harrassed far less of they come out of the closet and say they are gay, than if they state they are an atheists. I have a few friends that feel it is easier to say they are agnostic rather than say they are atheists. I would be horrified if anyone were persecuted because of their faith. It saddens me when people are bullied because they don't believe in god.

I do sometimes wonder if Jesus came back today, would he be rolling his eyes and muttering, "that's not what I meant at all, blasted disciples, I knew they weren't paying attention."

Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On an equally silly note, I once heard someone say that Pinocchio was a metaphor for sex, since his nose got bigger and smaller. Unfortunately, I believe this person was serious.
I heard an equally serious statement that "Tickle Me Elmo" conjured images of sexual ecstacy and was therefore inappropriate for children.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Bye everybody -- and no, not leaving in a fit of pique.

I have completely enjoyed this discussion, but I am going to be Netless for several days while we travel for the American Thanksgiving. I'll talk to you all when I get back!

And thank you all for being so polite and respectful about something that could so easily have degenerated.

Hasta Luego!

--------------------

Thunderchild

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunderchild   E-mail Thunderchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This kind of thing really cheeses me off.

If these people want a cause, why don't they get involved with helping people instead of criticising what corporations do with their own money?
Didn't hear much in the bible about Jesus railing against what the Romans were funding and how people should boycott them accordingly-He was too busy healing sick people and telling everyone to love each other.

The hate people spew in the name of God makes me writhe.

--------------------
"To secure peace is to prepare for war" Julius Caesar

Posts: 15 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderchild:
If these people want a cause, why don't they get involved with helping people instead of criticising what corporations do with their own money?

Because that would require more work. And more money. Besides, it's much easier to pick on a corporation for something they didn't do. Made-up causes: the best kind.

quote:
That sounds like the talk of the devil, you heathen! [Wink]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thunderchild

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunderchild   E-mail Thunderchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That sounds like the talk of the devil, you heathen! [Wink] [/QB][/QUOTE]

You know what? people are so conditioned to think the churches role in the world is to 'root out heresy', that when someone actually quotes the bible it sounds completely at opposition with that understanding.

Kind of like Jesus was with the religous hypocrites of His day...

Pleased to meet you, incidentally [Smile]

--------------------
"To secure peace is to prepare for war" Julius Caesar

Posts: 15 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderchild:
You know what? people are so conditioned to think the churches role in the world is to 'root out heresy', that when someone actually quotes the bible it sounds completely at opposition with that understanding.

Kind of like Jesus was with the religous hypocrites of His day...

That was kind of my point. I've dealt with fundamentalists before, and I'm aware of just how ignornant they are of the Bible's contents. And of Jesus's message.

I've said before: Jesus himself is a great guy. It's a lot of the people who claim to be his friend that annoy me.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smartymarty66:
In the US at this point in time, someone is harrassed far less of they come out of the closet and say they are gay, than if they state they are an atheists.

Well, I'm not sure about that. Granted, I've never had the experience of coming out of the closet, never having had a closet from which to emerge. I have lots of gay friends, however, and, well, I never got beaten up for being an atheist. Still, your point is well taken. When I attended middle and high school in a fairly conservative community, I endured harassment from born-again Christians for my lack of faith. These people didn't bother my Jewish friends to find Jesus; in fact, it seemed they'd respect your religion as long as you believed in *something.* So I started calling myself a Buddhist. It worked, and at the time I was happy. But looking back, I wish I hadn't taken the easy way out. I wish I'd stood up to those intolerant asswipes and told them I was perfectly content with my lack of religion, and where they could put their Bibles if they didn't like it.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
qb][/QUOTE]
I've said before: Jesus himself is a great guy. It's a lot of the people who claim to be his friend that annoy me. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Exactly. If Jesus came back today, I'm sure all those fundies would be ravenous at first, then quite disappointed... eventually, they would crucify him again for not agreeing with their bigoted views...

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Guinastasia
Newsqueak

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guinastasia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Guinastasia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a vague sort of theist, raised Catholic, and I always say, if some of these pCms (great term, btw!) had lived back in the day of Christ, they'd be the ones calling for his head on a platter. If they met him nowadays, they'd call him a commie pinko hippie freak.

--------------------
"Yeah that was cool when we went back in time with the thing and saw Hitler and he said "Hi" and everything and we shot him in the head, that was nice." -Pilz-E

Posts: 26 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bumper sticker at my church:

"Jesus called. He wants his religion back."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Setzer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Setzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Setzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Christian myself - Well, confirmed Lutheran, and focus on the Bible as opposed to any mortal agent, but anyway...

If I ever own my own buisness, one thing I'll have to do it put a jar on the counter that says "Fund for people screwed by fundies" If their honestly offended, they didn't get the message.

Posts: 104 | From: Worden, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Setzer:
If I ever own my own buisness, one thing I'll have to do it put a jar on the counter that says "Fund for people screwed by fundies" If their honestly offended, they didn't get the message.

Fundamentalist here.

Falling off my chair laughing so hard my husband came in to see what the matter was -- and he laughed too!

I'm back, BTW -- and never so glad to be home in my life!

--------------------

Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
I wish I'd stood up to those intolerant asswipes and told them I was perfectly content with my lack of religion, and where they could put their Bibles if they didn't like it.

Now, let's not go around encouraging the soiling of a perfectly good book. How about handing them a Chick tract to "insert" instead? [Wink]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smiles777
Abba Zabba

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Smiles777     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
*ahem.* Point of order -- not all of us Christians are bigoted, conspiracy-prone wackaloons.

Not to worry; here on snopes, we have several who are shining examples of light, logic, toleration, and kindness. As always, it's the obnoxious minority that gets far more notice than they deserve.

quote:

Oh, and incidentally, there are loonies out there who have a serious problem with Pinocchio, for more or less the reasons mentioned. *Sigh*...

Now that's just depressing... I thought I was just joking... As mentioned somewhere, there was a tv preacher who insisted that the smurfs were demons! Again, 99.8 per cent of Christians are a LOT smarter than that!

Apple Brown Bettie: no fair using the name of a dessert as your snopes name! Now I'm hungry! (Grin!)

Silas

I like the way you said "As always, it's the obnoxious minority that gets far more notice than they deserve." because that has always facinated me to see this first hand.

As far as I am concerned, I never heard anything about this. Sounds to me like a bunch of hype. Although, being homeschoolers ourselves 7 years now, I can honestly say I have met families like this, so I'm not suprised. I dont like the way instances like this make the rest of us look though.

When it comes to Disneys pro-gay stance, if you dont like it, DONT GO. DUH!

Personally, I traveled all the way from the heart of America to Florida to take my family to Disney. If I saw anything gay there it was their rides! What a waste of money! (Oh, BTW, there is no such thing as 'christain money' what a freakin oxymoron. :slap:)
Anyone wanting to have twice the blast at half the cost? Come here to Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun next door. It beats the pants off Disney ANY DAY! :sheesh:

Peace up,
Smiles.

--------------------
"There's just something a little extra noble in protecting the person who's standing behind you telling you you're wrong all the time."
First of Two

Posts: 82 | From: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James Irvine
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Irvine   E-mail James Irvine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Accuosti:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandman:
It's pure crap, written by someone angry that the rest of the world isn't sharing their rage over Disney recognizing gay and lesbian couples, and should be regarded as such.

No, wait a minute. There's something wrong with this explanation: it implies that some angry Christian would lie about this incident. I'm sure they would never do that - I mean, that's like a sin or something, isn't it?
Yes, it would in fact be a sin. Doesn't stop many other Christians from lying about gays in order to get people to mold to their beliefs. Thanks for saying that by the way.

I think they're just afraid they'll catch "teh gay" from me. Do I look contagious to you? No? Didn't think so!

--------------------
"Whoah! That's more queer than a $1 bill!"
"Dude, no way! So am I!"

Posts: 11 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages