snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » "Chicken Little" 's debut bedeviled by rampant rumors (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Chicken Little" 's debut bedeviled by rampant rumors
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I saw this movie not to long ago (and it was very funny btw) and they made the main character a boy b/c it was a male actor doing the voice.
The choice of who and what the characters are going to be is decided long before the voice actors are hired to read their lines.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were Disney I wold have kept its sex ambiguous...
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but that seems a little hard when it's the main character. How are all the other characters going to refer to him? As an it, and maybe also by his name. It seems like that would be a little too repetitive and get tiring after awhile.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think for the story as it was told in the film, a boy works better, but it also made the theme a little too reminiscent of Finding Nemo. I enjoyed the film anyhow, though. (I particularly liked the character of Abby, and want her for my best friend.)

As for the original story, I don't think I ever read a "definitive" version; I'd always kind of assumed Chicken Little was a boy, but I think I tend to assume characters are male unless they are specifically indicated to be female. Sexist habit perhaps, but we're all stuck in our own heads, alas.

As a kid, I tended to avoid books and such that specifically featured girls in the starring role, less out of distaste than out of fear the other boys would think I liked "girl stuff." (An over-reaction of course to the fact that I actually did.)

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think for the story as it was told in the film, a boy works better, but it also made the theme a little too reminiscent of Finding Nemo. I enjoyed the film anyhow, though. (I particularly liked the character of Abby, and want her for my best friend.)
I thought I was the only person who had flashbacks of finding Nemo during the movie from the kid adventures to the widowed father.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
okie medicvet
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okie medicvet   E-mail okie medicvet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids got to meet Chicken Little and Abby when we went to disneyworld recently..they had a whole area at mgm having to do with disney animation. now the kids didn't want to stand in the long line 'just to see a spiel' until they were assured by a park attendant that chicken little would actually be there. But once inside, and checking out mooshoo from mulan and a disney animator showing how characters develop, they were hooked on all of it..the computer animations were cool too.

I never saw the movie, and don't remember if it was a girl or boy from the book, but if the reasons for changing it were wrong or whatever, they must have made up for it with the finished product, because the kids love it...which isn't always easy to do with two not that easily impressed teens. [Wink]

Posts: 19 | From: Stigler, OK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
Reversing it, Spirited Away has huge cultural differences from Western animation yet it was loved the world over and beat the supposedly last good disney animation for an oscar

Spirited Away was not a Disney film. It was made by Studio Ghibli; Disney just licensed it for distribution in the us.
Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't think abigsmurf was saying Spirited Away was a Disney film. I thought the point was that such films can still be made. (Hence it "beat the supposedly last good disney animation for an oscar".)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fleance
Tefellin Groovy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fleance   E-mail Fleance   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever since I first heard that the "Chicken Little" movie was coming out, I kept thinking that they got the title character's name wrong. In all the versions I've heard, it was Henny Penny who thought the sky was falling (although if they called the character in the movie Henny Penny, it wouldn't work I guess, since it's a male. . .). I never actually knew that Chicken Little was what he/she was called in different versions. I thought that that character was from another story.

--------------------
"The moon is down. I have not heard the clock."

Posts: 9 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages