snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » "Chicken Little" 's debut bedeviled by rampant rumors (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Chicken Little" 's debut bedeviled by rampant rumors
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hollywood is a town that loves a good rumor. And -- believe you me -- there are some great tales currently flying around about Disney's newest animated feature. Jim Hill tries to sort the fact from the fiction.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1723

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, and here I was, thinking this had something to do with sex. You've failed us, Disney artists.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney is just digging its own grave.

This article, from the same site, really surprised me. I didn't know much about "The Wild" project before, definitely not that it had so much in common with "Madagascar." Even if Disney had the idea first, to the masses this is going to look like Disney ripped off another movie - not even a really good one at that.

Sigh.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
and Michael Eisner (The company's recently departed CEO. Who inexplicably had the film-makers make many changes to "Chicken Little" while this movie was in production. Among then ordering that the film's title character be changed from a girl to a boy).

I guess I don't understand why this is listed as inexplicable. It seems like a good marketing move. In my observation, boy characters appeal both to little boys and little girls, while girl characters may not appeal to some young boys.

Just what I observe with my boy and his pals. YMMV.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Dogwater says makes sense - I can tell from my personal past, that I absolutely refused reading books with prominently starring girl characters unless they were outnumbered by boys.

Ulko "now sometimes I dare read books or watch movies including women" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So is it now going to be released as "Rooster Little"? - Or maybe "Capon Little"? Poor guy if it is the latter.

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pilchik:
So is it now going to be released as "Rooster Little"? - Or maybe "Capon Little"? Poor guy if it is the latter.

"Chicken" is not sex-specific. Chicken little is young enough that you'd probably call him a cockerel. (Or her a pullet.)

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my observation, boy characters appeal both to little boys and little girls, while girl characters may not appeal to some young boys.
*cough*coughLaraCroft*cough*cough

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say Lara's rather too obviously postpubescent to be called a girl...
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ah for a time when Disney relied on their imagination to create memorable tales instead of relying on focus groups and execs.

What I don't get is that that method of testing must cost a fortune yet it produces horribly generic uninspired films that get forgotten about in a year

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
I'd say Lara's rather too obviously postpubescent to be called a girl...

That's true... I wasn't making a distinction based on age, though perhaps I should have.

~Psihala
(*Maybe Eisner was afraid Disney would make 'Chicken Little' a hot chick that would appeal only to the boys...? Nah...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ah for a time when Disney relied on their imagination to create memorable tales instead of relying on focus groups and execs.
Once upon a time Disney's audience was largely homogeneous, and Walt could safely assume that his taste was his audience's taste. Now the audience is much more culturally fragmented, and Disney's films have to appeal to more than just a white, middle-class Protestant audience.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's just an excuse given by unadventurous execs really. After all Snow White appeals to all groups and was/is hugely popular even in culturally different places like Japan. Reversing it, Spirited Away has huge cultural differences from Western animation yet it was loved the world over and beat the supposedly last good disney animation for an oscar

There can be cultural things which are more significant to one group than another but ultimately a good story with clear themes is universal. A comedy that relies on countless pop culture refferences isn't

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney may not have always succeeded in making universally appealing films but it wasn't for lack of trying.
quote:
Animation offers a medium of story telling and visual entertainment which can bring pleasure and information to people of all ages everywhere in the world. -- Walt Disney
At any rate, especially after after 1937, his films were no longer viewed by only a white American audience and he was quite aware of that (maybe even more obsessed with it than the current executives). I think he just realized that you can't make a film with universal appeal if you don't base it, at least in part, on specific cultural references.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason I thought Chicken Little was a always a boy, learn something new everyday. So I guess its a histerical girl with a silly notion when the sky isn't falling and a boy when he makes his prediction and the sky actually falls (if the advert can be believed). Well at least he has to live with the name "Little".

I'm going to take my kid to it on Friday. I'll report back if I find it sexist and offensive. Seriouslly though if they did change the gender of the main character I think it was for the reason mentioned above (that a female main character might deter boys from watching the film).

Personally I liked older Disney films with Princesses and Princes. Now they seem to go way out of their way to provide gender balance (I'm thinking of things like Mulan. The point of the film was girls should be to be true to themselves by pretending to be male and kicking some ass. Or did I miss something? Why can't they just do something memorable like Bambi nowdays? BTW was Bambi male or female?

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bambi had a girlfriend named Faline. He's either a boy or a lesbian.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Bambi was male.

ETA: spanked!

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bambi was very definitely male. He is actually an adult for a good portion of the movie, but somehow everyone remembers him as a fawn.

When I was a girl, I very much preferred books with female protagonists. I would read books about boys, but they had to be REALLY good. In most cases, if I was looking at a book in the library, as soon as I saw it was about a boy, I would put it right back on the shelf.

I really resent it when people claim that stories about boys are more "universal" because girls will read (or watch) stories about boys but not vice versa. That was NOT my experience at all.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no clue what sex Bambi was. I thought it was just a deer and another driver's victim for just being on the road.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
For some reason I thought Chicken Little was a always a boy, ... Well at least he has to live with the name "Little".

The UK version was called "Chicken Licken" rather than Chicken Little. This matched the other characters, like Goosey Lucy (Loosey?) and Foxy Loxy.

I think I'd realised the chicken was female by the last time I read it but as far as I remember I'd also assumed it was male at first (Well, I was very young!). It's hardly a big part of the story.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get to read this story at least once a week. The two versions I have, at least, aren't gender specific.
Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they illustrated versions? The only thing that made Chicken Licken female in my version was the pictures, as far as I remember. It wasn't mentioned in the story, so you'd have to be aware that male chickens are cockerels to notice.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken Little is definitely female, else it would be Rooster Little.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Outside of Hallifax, my wife and I noticed a little independent fast-food restaurant named "Lick a Chick."

Brad "but the sky didn't fall" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 217 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not think that chicken was gender specific, isn't chicken the type of bird and then the female is a hen and the male a rooster?

The American Heritage Dictionary defines chicken as:

"The common domestic fowl (Gallus Domesticus) or its young. Any of various similar or related birds."

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_sexer

quote:

Feather sexing
Feather sexing is easy, but it requires that the chickens be specially bred to manifest their sex in differences in the feathers as hatchlings. Male chickens in these breeds have longer wing pinfeathers than the females do, which makes them relatively easy to tell apart. Most chickens do not have these traits bred into them, and the hatchlings are identical to all but the skilled eye of the professional chicken sexer.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always figured Chicken Little to be a boy. Pretty sure I remember a version where he was referred to as a "he".

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken Little is definitely female.

quote:
One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on her head.
"Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 214 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
Chicken Little is definitely female.

No he's not. Let me quote the great Wiki...

quote:
Basic plot
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
There are many versions of the story, but the basic premise is that a chicken called Chicken Little, Chicken Licken or Henny Penny believes the sky is falling down because an acorn (or in some versions a pebble that falls from a roof) falls on his (or, sometimes, her) head. He decides to tell the King, and on his journey meets other animals who join him in his quest. In most retellings, the other animals have similarly rhyming names (See Characters). Finally, they come across Foxy Loxy, a fox who offers to guide them all with the King, but taking them instead into his cave. At this point, there are many endings. In the most famous one, Foxy Loxy kills all of Chicken Little/Licken's friends, but the last one survives enough to warn Chicken Little/Licken and he escapes. Other endings include Foxy eating them all, them being saved by a squirrel or an owl and/or getting to speak to the King, and even one in which the sky actually falls down and kills Foxy Loxy.

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. When I was little I had a book and record of Chicken Little, and she was a girl, wearing an Old West style bonnet and a shawl.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Chicken Little as female too.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 604 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
I had no clue what sex Bambi was. I thought it was just a deer and another driver's victim for just being on the road.

Because Bambi being called "The Young Prince" didn't tell anyone what sex he was. [Wink]

I remember Chicken Little (Henny Penny), as being female as well. Don't think I've ever read it as being a male character.

On a totally different topic, I hope the movie bombs. Mostly to just prove to Disney that it takes more than computer animation to make a good film.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nexus
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Nexus   E-mail Nexus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course Chicken Little was a female because:
(*sexism alert*) she was being hysterical (*end sexism alert*).
[fish]

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Chicken Little saw a giant asteroid approaching the Earth. By alerting everyone that the sky was falling he was able to prepare everyone for the impending disaster thus saving humanity. Or at least the chickens.

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolfs Bane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfs Bane   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wolfs Bane   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this movie not to long ago (and it was very funny btw) and they made the main character a boy b/c it was a male actor doing the voice. I always thought it was Heney Pinny, Goosey Loosey, and Tuckery Lurkry that went off to warn the king and where eatin by Foxy Loxy. But that's just me, I've always thought also that they made Frollo from Hunchback look like a midevil Hitler but that is also just me. Hunchback is still my fave movie.

WB

--------------------
My heat belongs to the moon

I am the hunter.... I am the pray

Posts: 52 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages