snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Suicidal Mickey?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suicidal Mickey?
Ron Miel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Miel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Disney comic strip where Mickey attempts to end it all.

http://www.barnaclepress.com/comics/archives/comedy/mickey_mouse/index.html

This is a fake, right? It couldn't possibly be true, could it?

Posts: 39 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've looked at them, and they look real to me. They don't seem outrageous enough to be fakes.

(The strips that actually involve suicide start with the one for October 18th.)

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see any obvious reason they wouldn't be real. Comics in the 30s were pretty outrageous.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll vote genuine.

In knife collecting, one of the key things to identifying an old piece is "feel". Does it feel right? Do all the pieces fit together? Here, applying that principle, I say real.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menace of Mysterio
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 402 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, even later on there were cartoons involving characters attempting suicide. One old Warner Brothers cartoon focuses entirely around the mice Hubie and Bertie trying to get a cat to eat them after they overdid it on cheese. You certainly couldn't pull something like that off today.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's funny how while most subjects that were taboo in the past are acceptable now, some that were acceptable have become taboo. While I would be very surprised to see such a cartoon in a modern newspaper, it's not encouraging or glorifying suicide, so I don't really see a problem with it, aside from the fact that some may consider the whole topic a touchy subject, regardless of how it is treated.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Menace of Mysterio:
Heck, even later on there were cartoons involving characters attempting suicide. One old Warner Brothers cartoon focuses entirely around the mice Hubie and Bertie trying to get a cat to eat them after they overdid it on cheese. You certainly couldn't pull something like that off today.

I recall another where a cat somehow becomes responsible for watching over a mouse, and said mouse uses this opportunity to fake being suicidal, just to annoy the cat to no end. I recall catching it on TV just a few years ago.

I am of the opinion that pretty much everything can be treated with humor. Some topics are just harder to handle well than others.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gudrin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course there's always the episode of Tom and Jerry that has Jerry constantly saving a little duck/chicken character from being eaten by Tom. He keeps saying, "Please eat me!" to Tom. I don't remember much else than that.

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I own a Disney-published book of early Mickey Mouse comic strips. It mentioned the "suicide" series in the introduction and showed the gas one. I believe the cartoonist said that Disney himself suggested the sequence. The cartoonist was a bit surprised that there was apparently no reaction from the public.

Anyway, yes, it is real. The book is at my mother's house, but I'll post details if I get a chance.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe that's why most of our looney suiciders decided on the mental institution in today's age.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mastershake
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mastershake   E-mail mastershake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cartoons and comic strips were considered more as general entertainment in those days, it wans't until later on that they were considered strictly kiddie fare. A lot of cartoons & comic strips from the 20's and 30's contained material that would be considered more "adult".

--------------------
"Most people don't find me nearly as funny as I find me."

Posts: 55 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like it's real. And with all those other cartoons mentioned above Tom and Jerry and what not I've seen all of those. Not until now have I ever even THOUGHT about it being an attempt to show suicide...I just thought it was funny.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are, like Top Kat said, real.

I used to get Mickey Mouse collections at the library and this storyline was in one of them. (It's part of a longer story.)

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
applepwnz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 604 posted      Profile for applepwnz   E-mail applepwnz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mastershake:
it wans't until later on that they were considered strictly kiddie fare.

Strictly kiddie fare? I appreciate cartoons WAY more than normal television programs the vast majority of the time.  -
Posts: 22 | From: Central MA/Southern NH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 604 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No one's said it yet? Come on, there has to be another Renthead in the house! *Sighs* Okay, I'll say it:

"I Gotta Get Out Of Here! It's Like I'm
Being Tied To The Hood Of A Yellow
Rental Truck, Being Packed In With
Fertilizer And Fuel Oil, Pushed Over A
Cliff By A Suicidal Mickey Mouse! - I've
Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Gotta Find A Way!"

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that comic strip is real all right. I work in Walt Disney World seasonally, and I've seen these comic strips in WDW before, in backstage areas. I think they're in a couple of books, too.

So I guess the resident Walt Disney World legend confirmation/debunking person is here...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mickey is a gyrl:
Oh, that comic strip is real all right. I work in Walt Disney World seasonally, and I've seen these comic strips in WDW before, in backstage areas. I think they're in a couple of books, too.

So I guess the resident Walt Disney World legend confirmation/debunking person is here...

Wonder if you've ever run into my daughter, who works at DW too!

Along this same line, think of all the boozy characterizations from the forties: W.C. Fields, Phil Harris, loads of other entertainers developed alcoholic personae for their performances. I doubt that producers would let such funny drunks have major roles in continuing series today.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:

Wonder if you've ever run into my daughter, who works at DW too!

Along this same line, think of all the boozy characterizations from the forties: W.C. Fields, Phil Harris, loads of other entertainers developed alcoholic personae for their performances. I doubt that producers would let such funny drunks have major roles in continuing series today.

Depends on where she works. I work in all four parks, all over every park. Chances are I don't know her unless she's in my department.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amy works mostly in Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom--she's a puppeteer who most recently worked with the big puppets in the Lion King show, though she has been such street characters as Rafiki, Pluto, and Little John as well.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Amy works mostly in Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom--she's a puppeteer who most recently worked with the big puppets in the Lion King show, though she has been such street characters as Rafiki, Pluto, and Little John as well.

Then it is remotely possible that I know her (or of her). But that department is HUGE (Magic Kingdom has 2500 people in that department ALONE)

--------------------

animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody remember the episode of Tom and Jerry where they both commit suicide?

It's been a while, so forgive me if I screw up the exact details....

I remember the episode starting with Tom (I think) sitting on railroad tracks looking depressed. Jerry comes by and tries to cheer him up, while Tom tells him the story about how his woman left him. I can't remember if Jerry had a letter with him, or if he saw his girlfriend with another mouse, so he joins Tom on the tracks. The episode ends with both of them sitting on the tracks looking depressed as the train rounds the bend....

My neighbor finally saw this episode a few times last year, so it's proof that I'm not completely nuts....

A73

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

That sounds like Itchy and Scratchy...

--------------------

animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 600 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That sounds like Itchy and Scratchy...

I wonder if Matt Groening ever saw that episode....

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by animal73:
Does anybody remember the episode of Tom and Jerry where they both commit suicide?

It's been a while, so forgive me if I screw up the exact details....

I remember the episode starting with Tom (I think) sitting on railroad tracks looking depressed. Jerry comes by and tries to cheer him up, while Tom tells him the story about how his woman left him. I can't remember if Jerry had a letter with him, or if he saw his girlfriend with another mouse, so he joins Tom on the tracks. The episode ends with both of them sitting on the tracks looking depressed as the train rounds the bend....

My neighbor finally saw this episode a few times last year, so it's proof that I'm not completely nuts....

A73

I've seen it; it's called Blue Cat Blues IIRC.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the comic was made in 1930 a couple days before the one yr anniversary of the stock market crash it was a sign of hope?

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

Go for a gas mask next time Mickey. Tie it around your head a couple times and you'll get the job done quicker. O.o

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages