snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Girl dies at Typhoon Lagoon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girl dies at Typhoon Lagoon
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was there any conclusion to what that girl died of? She was approached by a lifeguard after being spotted on a ledge, said she didn't feel good, collapsed and died.

[ 16. November 2005, 08:53 AM:   snopes ]

Posts: 377 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like they are still waiting on results of the autopsy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/orl-bizdisneydeath06080605aug06,1,4986608.story?coll=chi-homepagetravel-hed

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a shame. She was an honor student at her school.
Posts: 377 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lockardaw
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure it's not your intention, but it sounds like you think it would less of a shame if she weren't a honor student.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill

quote:
Originally posted by lockardaw:
I'm sure it's not your intention, but it sounds like you think it would less of a shame if she weren't a honor student.

It wouldn't be any less of a shame at all, but it's only natural to remark on some good characteristic such a person had.

When a friend of mine died in an accident at age 12 one of out teachers commented that it's a shame that these things always seem to happen to the "good" kids.

Thanks.

Bill

Ciro y Alicia

It's always sad to see a young child die - before I get any comments on that one - it wouldn't be any 'less sad' if it had been someone older - but when it's a child it really hits people hard.
Diana H
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana H   E-mail Diana H   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
quote:
Originally posted by lockardaw:

It wouldn't be any less of a shame at all, but it's only natural to remark on some good characteristic such a person had.

When a friend of mine died in an accident at age 12 one of out teachers commented that it's a shame that these things always seem to happen to the "good" kids.

Thanks.

Bill

Yes, it is only natural. I think *maybe* it's because on a very primal level it's about the survival of the species....as in what a loss to the gene pool. So, maybe in the *much* larger picture it would be less a shame if she had not been bright. Or not. I dunno.

Please don't flame me...I'm not insensitive. I'm thinking about it in a detached way.

--------------------
Diana

Note to self: Don't mistake being dismissive for being right.

Posts: 111 | From: Beaumont, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two Who Died at Disney Had Health Problems

Jerra Kirby, a 12-year-old girl from Newport News, Va., who suddenly collapsed at the Typhoon Lagoon water park in August, died from arrhythmia caused by an early-stage viral heart infection, officials have determined.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DISNEY_WORLD_DEATH?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Scary things. Are there any tests to make sure I don't have the defect the boy had, and how can I keep myself from getting the viral heart infection the girl had?

I will not go to any theme parks until I have the info I need.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pseudo_Croat you continue to amaze me. [lol]

Ranger "Keep killing me" Dog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO the girl just walked over to the lifeguard and said she didn't feel good and died? Wow! I sincerely hope I don't ever have a fatal heart arthymia! It's sad though that she died.

I remember once when I was in Hawaii I saw a girl nearly drown in one of the pools. I pushed through the crowd and got close to her and she was coughing up blood onto a towel...probably from water in her lungs...anyway I never did find out if she died or not.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages