snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Just lion around (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Just lion around
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 503 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Please look in to these rumors:

The lions on Disney World's Jungle Safari ride at Animal Kingdom are fake.

The reason the lions never move is because they are sitting on an
air-conditioned rock.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greywarden
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Greywarden   E-mail Greywarden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And we all know fake lions need the air-conditioning.

--------------------
Do things by the book, but be the author!

Posts: 25 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the OP even LOOK at what they wrote before submitting??

The lions are fake because they have to sit on an AC cooled rock?!?!?!

Greywarden, your response was well worded and quite apropos. You will fit in very nicely around here... I offer a belated "Welcome Aboard!!" and warn you to beware the Pirates. [Wink]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 214 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, the OP is offering two (mutually exclusive) hypotheses to explain the observed phenomenon of non-moving lions at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom park.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greywarden

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greywarden   E-mail Greywarden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Be careful looking into the rumors Snopes... the rumors may be hungry.

--------------------
Do things by the book, but be the author!

Posts: 25 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeuroKev
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroKev   E-mail NeuroKev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I went on the Safari Ride at Animal Kingdom, the lions did move. Now I went about 5 or 6 years ago, so they could have replaced them.
Posts: 73 | From: Bradenton, Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karama
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember one of the lionesses moving her head. I suppose I might have dreamt it, or may be remembering it wrong.

I am pretty sure I saw a plate of food left for the lions, though. Now, if the lions are well fed enough not to eat the food instantly, and seeing I always heard they were actually quite lazy, their lack of motion could simply be due to the fact they're bellies are nice and full and they see no reason to bother with much movement.

Karama

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, yeah. You wouldn't want them to overheat and explode/catch fire now, would you?
I mean, wouldn't you be a little freaked out if a lion just burst into flames?
[Wink]

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During my tenure at the zoo where I worked, the top two questions asked by zoo visitors were easily:

1) Where's the bathroom?

and

2) Why isn't it moving?!?

with the common variation

2b) Is it dead?!?

The answer to question one is, "Follow the signs," or "Let me show you on the map."

Question 2 is equally easy to answer, but zoo visitors who expect to see animals sing and dance find it tougher to accept:

"It's not moving because it's 12:30 in the afternoon with the sun beating down and almost 100 degrees out here. It's sitting there in the shade to stay out of the sun, and it's keeping still to conserve energy."

You can apply this to pretty much any warm-climate animal or reptile.

I really don't blame people for expecting to see animals being active, because they see that kind of stuff on TV daily. It does irk me though, when people refuse to understand that animals at the zoo aren't going to behave like animals on nature shows.

That mindset results in banging on glass, throwing rocks/ice/whatever at animals, yelling and screaming, and all sorts of general disrespectful jackassery, from both kids and adults.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I went to the Jacksonville Zoo, I was appalled at the number of adults who stood in front of an exhibit for 2.5 seconds, said to their kid "They're not doing anything," and moved on. Great way to teach your kids to appreciate animals, you NFBSK. [Roll Eyes]

The purpose of a zoo is not to move through as quickly as possible, nor is it to demand the animals perform for you. I spent 20 minutes watching the jaguar sleep and marveling over what a beautiful creature it was. Sadly, many people can't appreciate that.

Paintings and dinosaur skeletons don't move, yet people bring their kids to museums. I have no idea why they get so impatient at zoos.

As far as lions go, the last time I was at Miami's MetroZoo, the lions weren't just moving around, they were doin' it! Woohoo!

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with you Cervus. They're animals, not hand puppets. I can spend a load of time just watching animals. That's why I visit.
At the Oregon Zoo here in town, it's considered amazing if the two tigers are visible. They spend most of the time laying in the very back of the area, asleep. It is fun when one of them has a bit of a spack and runs as fast as he can into the pool. You can almost hear the "wheeeee."
There is also an unoffical game called "what part of the bear is that" with the grizzly. He spends a lot of time in the little dip behind his stream. So you may see a little tuft of hair.

I have to admit I want to laugh hyserically at any of the people that start freaking out if OMG! one of the animals has a poo. Becuase what, they expect the animal to excuse itself to find a toilet?

--------------------

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitsune26, I don't know if you're aware of this, but bonobos are notorious for their frequent sexual encounters. The ones at the Jax Zoo also have very large genitalia (both sexes). Parents take their kids to see the "monkeys*" because "oh, they're so cute, aren't they just like us -- OH MY GOD WHAT ARE THEY DOING?! COVER YOUR EYES, JOHNNY!!"

[lol]

*Bonobos are apes, not monkeys, but the general public doesn't know the difference

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

The Madrills here. Big bright red rears. One male and about four females. Parents tend to yank thier kids away really fast from that exhibit.
And let's not forget the fruit bats. There's a reason that the exhibit has perpetual baby bats.
The last time I visited, some lady was screeching at all and sundry that all the animals should be spayed or neutered to prevent mating in public. Because clearly, moral decency is way more important than trying to say, breed tree kangaroos to increase the gene pool for wild ones.
OT
And you actually mentioned one of my pet peeves as an aside. Admittedly, not everyone is familiar with classifications of animals. But dang it-if there is a huge sign that explains the differances between apes and monkeys, read the dang thing, instead of lumping all primates into one catagory. It also helps to idenify what you're looking at. Those are naked mole rats, not baby whatevers. It says so on the doors you just walked
through-in several inch high-green letters.
[Roll Eyes]

People are just plain odd sometimes.

--------------------

Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man. You guys are bringing back all sorts of wacky zoo patron memories...

If you'll allow me to hijack for a moment, I have to share my favorite.

On a slower day I was in costume and in character (I was an interactor in the African section of our zoo, I played a blustery, absent-minded safari guide) near the giraffe exhibit, waiting for some visitors to come by and interpret with.

I saw out of the corner of my eye a group of three, two kids and an adult, coming my direction to the giraffe overlook. I put my game face on, and turned to greet them, but before I could say "Jambo!" the woman points to the giraffes, and says the words, I kid you not:

"Hmm. Long-necked zebras."

It caught me so off-guard, that I actually stood there for a second with my mouth agape, staring at her in horror. Then on second though, I said to myself, "She's just cheezing it up with the kids to see if they'll correct her."

About that moment, the rest of her group, three other adults, caught up with the three of them. She turns to the three, again points to the giraffe, and says, straight-faced and eyebrow cocked as if she's impressed with herself, "Long-necked zebras."

Thinking, for sure, one of these people will say, "Janice," or whoever she was, "For the love of pete, that's a friggin' giraffe, you big dummy," I stand there and wait for it.

If only. The six of them turn and walk away, leaving me, truly and definitively, flabbergasted.

Long-necked zebras. Unbelieveable.

What kindergarden do you go to that doesn't have "G for Giraffe" and "Z for Zebra" pasted up on the wall somewhere in the classroom????

I mean, sure, there are some obscure animals that people probably don't have the first clue what to call them: duikers, okapis, hyraxes, and such, but come on, how could you mistake a basic animal like a giraffe?!?!

JEEZUS WOMAN THE SIGN WAS RIGHT THERE. WHAT'S THAT 18-FOOT TALL SPOTTED MAMMAL WITH THE BODY LIKE A CAMEL AND HEAD OF A DEER?!?!

I'm ok.

What is more common than out-and-out dead-wrong misclassifications, is the lumping that Kitsune has mentioned.

Gorillas and chips are monkeys. Alligators are crocodiles, and crocodiles are alligators. There's a big difference between a sea lion and a seal. Turtles and tortoises? Frogs and toads? Call it splitting hairs, but they've got different names for a reason.

When mommy says to sonny-boy, "Honey, look at the crocodile," and I say, "Maam, he's actually an American Alligator, even though they look similar, there's really quite a bit of difference," she smiles wryly, pats the boy on the head, and says, "Oh, he watches Steve Irwin, they're all crocodiles to him."

Nevermind that I could probably kneel down next to sonny-boy, who's wearing a dinosaur teeshirt, and say, "Hey chief, what period did T. Rex live in?" and have him start spouting off relatively detailed dino information that he's pounded into his head from books and TV...

Sure lady, they're all crocodiles to him.

Thanks a bunch, Steve Irwin.

There are occasionally bright sides, though.

I was manning a musuem at the zoo where we display wildlife biofacts, some pretty rare things really, mostly confiscated from poachers and/or smugglers by U.S. customs, and donated to institutions like museums and zoos.

Six foot long elephant tusks poached in the 60s, multiple mountings of the heads of the big six African hunting safari targets, rows and rows of skulls and bones from all manner of animals, pelts, skins, you name it.

(I realize this may sound hypocritical, having items like that on display, but honestly, hard as it may be to believe, they really are used with great effect as educational, interpretive artifacts. I digress... That's another conversation altogether.)

Being used to having parents point to a gazelle and say, "Honey, look at the deer," and similar misclassifications, I wasn't surprised when a man with two younger boys (probably 10 and 8 or so) came into the museum, pointed at a mounting of a wildebeest, and said to the younger boy, "What's that, Chuck?"

To my pleasure and amazement, the boy scratched his head, thought for a moment, and said, "Ummm... Wildebeest?"

To compound my enjoyment, the father said, "Is it a black or bearded wildebeest?"

The kid knew.

I pulled them aside and told the dad what a great sight it was to see a parent spending time paying attention to that sort of detail, and how rare it was. They were pleased to hear it.

That's probably my favorite zoo memory. It just barely makes up for the long-necked zebra incident.

--------------------
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

There's hope yet Electrotiger.
Smae visit as the lady yapping about spaying, et all, there was a small girl- four or five-with her parents. I wonder if all their braincells went into her creation, as Daddy was calling the animlas by generalizations. And she kept going "No Daddy. See the sign? That's a ________."
[Big Grin]
She forever entered into my heart when she sat with me and laughed at the meerkats. She even tried to sound out the latin name.

--------------------

Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was the only realistic thing about Jurassic Park - the dinosaurs stayed hidden so all the obnoxious rich folks couldn't see them. I've been to the San Diego Zoo probably 8 times, and I was only able to see the pandas once. But that one time was amazing - they said it was only the 2nd or 3rd time the baby panda had come out. But I'm with you guys - watching a sleeping wild animal in person is far preferable to watching an active one on TV. Especially koalas.

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Long-necked zebras. Unbelieveable.
Give her a break. Maybe she grew up with black-and-white TV, where they all look like llamas.

- snopes

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Kitsune26, I don't know if you're aware of this, but bonobos are notorious for their frequent sexual encounters.

One of our local TV stations was doing a live broadcast for Willy B's (the Atlanta Zoo's silverback and best known resident) birthday when he suddenly walked across the screen with the camera following him and mounted a female.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously the people who think that the lions are fake have never been around housecats. When I go to the zoo I tell the big cats that if I wanted to see a sleeping lump of cat I could have stayed at home.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the topic of righteous indignation at PDAC (public displays of animal copulation), and slightly related to Disney (the movie was co-produced by Buena Vista International), I recently saw March of the Penguins. Later, in a bout of curiousity, I decided to see what that home of hilarity, CAP Alert, could possibly claim to avoid giving it a "perfect" score of 100. Sure enough, it came close, with 97, but was held back by two points under "Wanton Violence/Crime" and one in "Sexual Immorality". I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of immoral penguins; must be that whole "penguin lust" deal Opus kept being accused of. Here's how he explains why showing nature - God's creation - to kids can be a Bad Thing:

quote:

March of the Penguins includes a couple instances of death by predator. Though no gore is seen and no human is harmed or threatened, the imagery is tough to digest. It also includes death of chicks by freezing. Everybody remembers Bambi's mother getting killed, right? The same applies here.

As noted by the reaction of the audience, it was easy to feel what the mother penguin felt as scavenger bird bigger than the chicks bit into the flesh on the chicks' necks. Neither was there any gore presented but the intent was clear. And empathizing with the mother penguin was inescapable as she pined over the frozen carcass of her chick.

March of the Penguins also includes an instance of animal copulation. There is absolutely nothing lewd about it and no animal privates are seen, but it is still a sexual act that can create thinking in your adolescents.

Can't have our kids thinking, now can we? Pity he doesn't mention anything about how to prevent kids from seeing dead birds and other city animals on the streets, let alone avoid spotting the occasional two dogs, cats, squirrels, or birds engaging in "sexual immorality." Maybe CAP Alert should start rating zoos as to how "immoral" their animals are, so parents can decide which ones are least likely to create thinking in their adolescents.

Arts "walking on partner's back = sex!" Myth

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jynni
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jynni   E-mail jynni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As far as lions go, the last time I was at Miami's MetroZoo, the lions weren't just moving around, they were doin' it! Woohoo!
Oh yes! I recently went to the Kansas City Zoo for the first time in over fifteen years. It was the most fabulous time but it was totally capped off when we got to the lion exhibit.

The lions have a huge area that they can roam around in but they usually (the zoo worker said) like to lay against the glass in the observation area. I was excited to see all of them (1 male and four females) all piled up with only an inch of glass separating us (those things are huge - never seen them up that close!). We got a huge growling yawn from the male who then lumbered over to the nearest female, turned her over and started goin' at it. Lasted about three minutes and then he flopped back down and went to sleep - the female never even moved. A lady and her son walked into the area during this and she quickly diverted his attention to the lion cub monitor. I thought it was hilarious.

Posts: 390 | From: Missouri | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
jynni,

Glad you enjoyed the KC Zoo, I worked there in the education department for close to four years. [Smile]

The big male you saw is Dumisani. He's a fatty. (All the lions there are fat, though, I've heard more than one laughing native Kenyan say.)

Depending on when you saw them, the female he was having relations with was probably Donna, because Jean just recently (June) had four (four!!!) cubs, the ones displayed on the monitor, and she's still off-exhibit with them.

The other lions in the exhibit were some more of Jean's cubs, although they don't look anything like cubs any more. They were born in late summer 2001, but unless you know what to look for, they are indistinguishable from the older adults.

The 2001 cubs are Nala, Simba, and Mustafa. (yeah, yeah, I know, NO IMAGINATION WHATSOEVER... I'm not sure who decided their names... it's darn-near insulting, but applicable in the Disney forum [Big Grin] ) And yes, Simba and Mustafa are males, but have had their business ends altered, and they no longer have functioning libidos.

In the wild, lion males will leave the pride they're born into after two years or so, to seek out other prides or start their own. We obviously didn't want to have to ship off two fully-grown males, and a pride of six looks more impressive than a pride of four, thus the castration procedures.

Unfortunately, the lack of testicles leaves them without enough testosterone to grow large manes, so they resemble females as well. They still do have manes, just real short ones. I always had trouble telling them apart, but the keepers of course can tell with a glance.

quote:
Lasted about three minutes and then he flopped back down and went to sleep - the female never even moved.
Three minutes, eh! That's gotta be some sort of record. I never saw him go for more than 30 seconds or so. Slam, bam, asante sana ma'am!

--------------------

jynni
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jynni   E-mail jynni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Electrotiger - thanks for all the info on the KC lions. The lion cubs were adorable - I want to go back to see them when they go on display (should be towards the end of August, IRRC). We did notice that one of the "females" was much larger than the others - seemed almost bigger than the big male. It makes sense now as it was probably one of the altered males.

Everyone I worked with had been telling me how awful the KC Zoo was and how unimpressive the exhibits were and that you never actually saw any animals - I think they're all just crazy.

We saw just about everything in the zoo and I was really surprised at how close you could get. The interactive Lorikeet feeding was awesome and I'm still trying to figure out how they actually keep the kangaroos in their exhibit.

The leopard had to be one of the most gorgeous animals I've ever seen.

I want to take each and everyone of the meerkats home. They were adorable - running around their exhibit - they would also watch you and come up to the glass to observe you further.

Posts: 390 | From: Missouri | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

To hijack the thread even further:

As employees of the KC Zoo, we heard the extremes; the vocal minorities.

People would either relate similar experiences such as yours, and say, "This kind of exhibitry is amazing, these enclosures are fantastic for viewing, etc.," or they would complain.

Most zoos nowadays are going to zoogeographic display philsophies, larger, natural-looking enclosures (Disney's are fantastic, because they've got the $$$ to spend on making them look great).

Still, people are used to older-style zoos, with cages and wrought-iron bars, closely situated, making for short walks and easy vieings for people, but unhappy existiences for animals. (The KC Zoo even still has a few older barred cages that were built with the WPA in the 30s, they're still used out of desperation because there's just no more space.)

As a zoo employ who's focus was on the enjoyment of people, and not so much caretaking of the animals, I can say through my experience that people often tend to be lazy. They expect to see a cage with a cooped-up animal, walk ten meters, see another cage with a cooped-up animal, walk another ten meters, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

The KC Zoo is 200+ acres, and much of it has to be walked. It, and other zoos and animal parks with similar display philosophies, in a way demand that the guest be an active part of the visit. Not only do they have to walk and explore the zoos, they have to actually seek out the animal in the enclosure and discover on their own where the animal is and how to interpret it in their own mind.

Unfortunately, people that say "those animals aren't real/they're faked/whatever" are often copping it out. I lost count how many times I saw a visitor waltz right past the leopard enclosure, walking just a few meters from a bright-eyed, crouching cat blending into the spotty-leafy shadows, but still scowling and mad because they "can't see any animals."

I'd always say, "Good thing you're not an antelope!"

It's funny, again with the extremes: You hear lots of people say, "Zoos are horrible, you should never lock an animal up," and at the same time people complain, "This zoo is too big, these enclosures are too large and you can't see any animals."

Guess you can't please everybody.

(The 'roos, by the way, are actually fenced in... you're just fenced in with them! Thus it appears they're roaming freely, but they can only go so far before they encounter a border.)

--------------------

Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

I have to admit, I'm not overly fond of zoos (suprisingly). But I can see the benefits. For example, it's one thing to see a Amur Leopard on tv. Pretty ooo, ahh. But to see it up close and realize how big they are. OOO Ahh! And after you see this gorgeous creature, you find out how very endanfgered it is. Really makes you want to do something about it.
Also, having a fairly uncomprimised gene pool for use in insemination of wild stock=really good idea.

--------------------

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would the lions have to be real?

I mean a real lion tamed or not that sniffs meat on you is more than likely to jump at you and eat you.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

quote:
For example, it's one thing to see a Amur Leopard on tv. Pretty ooo, ahh. But to see it up close and realize how big they are. OOO Ahh! And after you see this gorgeous creature, you find out how very endanfgered it is... ...Also, having a fairly uncomprimised gene pool for use in insemination of wild stock=really good idea.
You're absolutely right, on both counts, and you've just said in a nutshell the two most important missions a good zoo should follow.

In training my staff as zoo educators and intepreters, I always told them right off the bat that zoos aren't about animals, they're about people. Without the people, a zoo is just an inert collection of animals, not a living museum.

I feel that every person that comes through the gate, whether they realize it or not, has come to the zoo to learn.

And the more people learn about animals from far away, the more they'll care about animals in their own backyards.

As for breeding purposes, there are incredibly strict rules on siring, called Species Survival Plans, that zoos have to follow in order to be accredited by the AZA (American Zoos and Aquariums Association). An animal will appear on a list that calculates a number of factors like parentage, history, health, etc., and breedings or inseminations will be arranged through the list. These "dance cards," so to speak, ensure that captive stock of endangered animals maintains a level of genetic diversity.

Still, sometimes it's an uphill battle. Cheetahs are worth mentioning in particular... At some point in their evolution they ran into a genetic bottleneck that has caused serious health problems in the modern population of cheetahs, both captive and wild. An overwhelming number of captive cheetahs are elderly, and difficult to use in successful breeding programs.

--------------------

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune26:
There is also an unoffical game called "what part of the bear is that" with the grizzly. He spends a lot of time in the little dip behind his stream. So you may see a little tuft of hair.

You should come to the Roger Williams Park Zoo (in Providence, R.I.) - we have polar bears with a giant swimming area, and one side of the swimming area is a giant glass window, so you can see them swimming under water. The kids love it (well, so do the adults!) as the bear makes yet another dive-and-up-they-go pass against the glass. They had a new baby polar bear born there and held a contest to let kids name it. The winning name was KOBE (which the child said stood for "King Of Bears Everywhere", which is rather odd, since it was a female polar bear! [lol] )

quote:
I have to admit I want to laugh hyserically at any of the people that start freaking out if OMG! one of the animals has a poo. Becuase what, they expect the animal to excuse itself to find a toilet?

YOMANK!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
Unfortunately, the lack of testicles leaves them without enough testosterone to grow large manes, so they resemble females as well. They still do have manes, just real short ones.

Small hijack - when I was little (five or so), I had two stuffed toy lions that had velcro on their paws, so they could hug each other. I didn't know what a female lion looked like at that age, and promptly named them Ted and Fred, much to my parent's amusement. (Woulda been nice if they cleared it up for me, but I guess having gay lions was okay to them. Not that I knew I had gay lions then, either...)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As noted by the reaction of the audience, it was easy to feel what the mother penguin felt as scavenger bird bigger than the chicks bit into the flesh on the chicks' necks. Neither was there any gore presented but the intent was clear. And empathizing with the mother penguin was inescapable as she pined over the frozen carcass of her chick.
For all we know, what these mother penguins may have felt was relief that they were no longer obligated to care for demanding chicks and that they could now return to the ocean and gorge themselves instead of standing around starving in the cold.

- snopes

Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

There are ploar bears here with a simialr set up. They also have buckets and Booda balls to muck about with. The kids (and me too) love to watch the male stuff his two paws into two buckets and flail about in the water.
One of the females plays "big red seal" with a Booda ball. She pushes it into the water, gets in, then comes up under the ball and wallops it onto the shore.
Fun for hours.

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
Unfortunately, the lack of testicles leaves them without enough testosterone to grow large manes, so they resemble females as well. They still do have manes, just real short ones. I always had trouble telling them apart, but the keepers of course can tell with a glance.

White-tailed deer have similar problems when neutered. We have one male deer who has been altered so we don't have baby deer everywhere (like we need more), hence our male has small, knobby, funny-shaped antlers. A lot of people look at him and say, "Oh, it's a female, look at the small antlers." "No sir, it's a male. He's just been neutered. That's why his antlers are funny. Females don't have antlers, see?" Of course, they always want to know why did we do that, don't we want babies? God, no! Three nervous, hypersensitive deer are plenty!

My favorite are the quail, though, who have no shame. Many times, you will walk by their display and they will be going at it. There have been complaints, but there isn't a lot we can do about it. We just feed the resulting quail eggs to the otters because we don't need any more quail either.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The polar bears here in Tucson at the Reid Park Zoo get live fish dropped into their swimming area and they seem to love going after them and eating them. We watched one day from the underground viewing area and the summer camp kids who were also there were quite impressed at seeing a couple of fish being ripped up still alive.

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum here in Tucson has a couple of outdoor pens where the fence is netting that is very fine and very hard to see (and made by inmates at one of the instate prisons, of all things) and it's fun to walk along and hear people wonder how they're keeping the javelinas and the coyotes in their pens.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MonkeyMan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MonkeyMan   E-mail MonkeyMan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a quick note on the OP: The lions aren't fake. I have seen them walking around the rock personally...

--------------------
Monkeys. Is there nothing they CAN'T do?

Posts: 37 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Been meaning to post this for a few days. Hubby and I took a "last hurrah"- before the baby comes-trip to Vegas a couple of weekends ago. I stopped by the lion exhibit at the Grand, just 'cuz I love to see animals whenever I can.

Normally the lions sleep a good chunk of the time they're there, but this day, they were very playful and frolicksome. There were a couple of handlers in there with them, throwing giant plastic balls and rawhide bones for the lions to slap around.

Eventually the two girls settle down with a rawhide bone each. It was amazing to watch them demolish the things. They were probably about the size of a cow's femur, and they were completely eaten after about 10-15 minutes.

Actual comment heard-
"oh my god, that lion's foot is broken!!!!! And he's eating his own foot!!"

Wrong for so very many reasons.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jynni:
We got a huge growling yawn from the male who then lumbered over to the nearest female, turned her over and started goin' at it. Lasted about three minutes and then he flopped back down and went to sleep - the female never even moved.

Wow. I didn't know lions got married.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages