snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » The Da Vinci Code & The Little Mermaid (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Da Vinci Code & The Little Mermaid
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all,

There's a whole chapter-end in this bestselling book about how Disney created The Little Mermaid as a kind of "in memorium" tribute to Mary Magdalene.

It references as evidence to Walt's love of symbology, among other things, Simba with the word "Sex" appearing above his head in The Lion King. This made me wonder if Dan Brown was a onetime Snopes visitor - however I'm sure he would have worked the "phallic symbol" video cover story in somewhere if he were!

For the record - I agree with the Amazon reviewer who describes the book as being like a bag of wine gums that you eat all in one go and then feel a bit queasy...

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
???

What about Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
???

Facts Schmacts!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
???

Facts Schmacts!
Funnily enough, I was aware of that little known text [dunce]

No, I posted this in case anyone else who has had the mixed pleasure of reading the Da Vinci code wondered the same thing as me: namely, has Dan Brown ever visited Snope's Disney section?

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti:
Funnily enough, I was aware of that little known text [dunce]

Do you really mean that you concider one of Andersen's best known stories a "little known text"? [Confused]

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Floater: apparently you think sarcasm is just something that happens to other people. [fish]
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jtelson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtelson   E-mail jtelson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it wrong that I prefered Anderson's ending over Disney's?

--------------------
"Eternal pain and damnation await those who question the unconditional love of God."-Bill Hicks (1961-1994)

Posts: 168 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jtelson:

Yes, that's UnAmerican. Disney is never wrong.

(and for the irony impaired, that was a joke, son)

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep I always love Andersen's endings. Some still trouble me to this day. There was one where someone's brothers turned into swans and then back again - but it wasn't entirely successful and one brother had a swan's foot, another a wing instead of an arm. Still makes me feel a bit sick and worry about their romantic futures.

A good fairy tale should be a bit sinister IMHO!

PS Sorry about the sarcasm, it's a British disease but not an altogether attractive one!

Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about that dreadful one with the storks and the babies underwater?

ETA: The Storks , in which the storks bring a child a dead baby brother to punish him. Yay!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jtelson:

It's a matter of personal choice, of course, but I confess that I vastly prefer the happy ending to the sad one.

I feel the same way, although less strongly, about Disney's ending to Peter and the Wolf, where the Duck, although swallowed alive, is still okay at the end. The original always made me very queasy when I was a tot.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I feel the same way, although less strongly, about Disney's ending to Peter and the Wolf, where the Duck, although swallowed alive, is still okay at the end. The original always made me very queasy when I was a tot.
Might I recommend...
http://www.wendycarlos.com/+pwca2.html

~Psihala
(*If you can find it, that is...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

well unless walt was dictating from beyond the grave, there's no way he expressed an opinion about what was appearing over Simba's head
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soviet Kitsch:
well unless walt was dictating from beyond the grave...

or the freezer?

[fish]

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What does Da Vinci have to do with the Little Mermaid movie?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
quote:
Might I recommend...
http://www.wendycarlos.com/+pwca2.html

~Psihala
(*If you can find it, that is...)

Oh, yes yes yes! I've heard it, and it is wonderful!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like either version of The Little Mermaid, but I have to say I much prefer the Disney versions of Bambi and Winnie-The-Pooh.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:

Nowt - unless you believe Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", which suggests that Walt Disney belonged to the same secret society that Da Vinci did (albeit many years later) - the purpose of the society being to preserve the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdalene.
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel I should clarify my standpoint here!

Last week I read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, which is a best-seller here in the UK...

and here come some spoilers...

Granted, it's a page-turner, but it is also chocabloc with a dazzling array of urban legends passed off as fact, regarding the Louvre, the Holy Grail, Da Vinci's artwork, and Disney to name just a few. The sheer volume of legend in this novel is astounding (and a small church in Scotland is currently paying the price).

About half-way through the book, one of the key characters waxes lyrical (in the third person) about how watching Disney's interpretation of "The Little Mermaid" brought to mind all kinds of symbology pertaining to Mary Magdelene, and offers this as evidence that Walt Disney was privy to the knowledge that the bloodline that Jesus and Mary Magdelene originated was alive and well in the present day.

Now I personally think that the book should come with a CD playing the sound of a cuckoo clock striking the hour! but the reason for my post is - I wondered if Dan Brown had visited Snopes when researching the book, as he references Simba with the word "Sex" above his head while building a case for Disney's subliminal leanings?

Ligeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He wouldn't have had to visit snopes to pick that up. I heard it ten times a day everytime I left my house when it was first "discovered." Anyway, I would think that if Dan Brown had read snopes' page on the rumor, he would have known it wasn't true and therefore would not have included it as fact in the book.

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One would also think Mr. Brown would do a bit of research and see (if he didn't know) that The Little Mermaid was originally a "non-Disney" tale. As for him using SNopes, I imagine it's possible.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE Anyway, I would think that if Dan Brown had read snopes' page on the rumor, he would have known it wasn't true and therefore would not have included it as fact in the book. [/QB][/QUOTE]

But of course the book is a work of fiction, so it can have any made of facts the author wants.

Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:

Apparently Disney has optioned to do the animated version of TDVC starring Simba... or something. [fish]
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RubyMoon:
[QUOTE Anyway, I would think that if Dan Brown had read snopes' page on the rumor, he would have known it wasn't true and therefore would not have included it as fact in the book.

But of course the book is a work of fiction, so it can have any made of facts the author wants. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Brown stated adamantly in a TV interview that while the present-day story in the book is fictional, ALL of the historical background referred to in the book is solid fact. He is either VERY delusional or (far more likely) a glib liar who doesn't care about researching his "facts", just includes anything that will help make the book sell.

Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeterK
He is either VERY delusional or (far more likely) a glib liar who doesn't care about researching his "facts", just includes anything that will help make the book sell.

Well let's think, if I was Dan Brown, what would I do? I could admit the whole thing is tripe from beginning to end or I could surf the wave of wish-upon-a-star, I-want-to-believe, the-truth-is-out-there frenzy to the point of being able to sell deperately stupid people deluxe hard cover illustrated editions of books they already have and thereby make millions.

Decisions, decisions ....

(Actually, I could possibly also start my own motivational course - WWDB do...)

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
One would also think Mr. Brown would do a bit of research and see (if he didn't know) that The Little Mermaid was originally a "non-Disney" tale. As for him using SNopes, I imagine it's possible.

It's not the story that is being refered to but the way in which it is portrayed and its visual symbolism, namely a painting of The Penitent Magdalene by Georges de la Tour's which hangs on the wall of Ariel's home. It also talks about the name Ariel and her red hair, both Disney's addition to Andersons orginal fairy tale.
Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen an interview with Dan Brown about the book. When he says that all of the background and historical information is accurate, does he really mean that there: was a guy named Da Vinci; there is a Louvre; there are paintings as he describes; etc.? To me, I like books that take real things, be it places, historical people, whatever, and weave a tale around them.

I too tend to prefer happy endings in my stories. It helps if there is music too.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabbecause I love Uganda:
I have to say I much prefer the Disney versions of [...] Winnie-The-Pooh.[/QB]

Heresy! Burn the heretic! [Eek!]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Mavis:
quote:
I have to say I much prefer the Disney versions of [...] Winnie-The-Pooh.

Heresy! Burn the heretic! [Eek!] [/QB]
You can borrow my lighter.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Mavis:
quote:
I have to say I much prefer the Disney versions of [...] Winnie-The-Pooh.

Heresy! Burn the heretic! [Eek!]

You can borrow my lighter. [/QB]
Sorry, but I have to place my allegiance with the Tabbster. Disney Pooh was best. Disney Hunchback, and Disney-Pocahontas on the other hand...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "hundred acre crew" in that last film made me die a bit inside...

I wish Disney would start putting love into their films again rather than going for the quick buck. At least there are animators like Miyazaki showing love for the medium....

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:
I haven't seen an interview with Dan Brown about the book. When he says that all of the background and historical information is accurate, does he really mean that there: was a guy named Da Vinci; there is a Louvre; there are paintings as he describes; etc.? To me, I like books that take real things, be it places, historical people, whatever, and weave a tale around them.

Sorry I haven't got a ref to the TV interview he did. In context, he was saying that ONLY the present-day characters in the book are made up, and EVERYTHING else in the book is "fact" including that the Knights Templar, Cathars, Leonardo da Vinci, Opus Dei, etc have carried the supposed "secret" of the descendants of Christ and Mary Magdalene.
Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
entropy9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropy9   E-mail entropy9   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the book opens with "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."

brown says the story itself, the characters and stuff are fiction

Posts: 73 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brian O'blivion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian O'blivion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"In my techno-thriller about a sexy reporter uncovering the Masonic-Nazi plot to replace world leaders with eight-foot lizards from another dimension, I made up the reporter. The lizards are real."
Posts: 307 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Uraunde

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but "the little mermaid" isn't even an original story of H.C. Anderson.
There is already an older book by Frédérique de la Motte Fouqué called Undine. But if I remember rightly, it's a sort of traditional french fairy tale.

Our school theater performed a version of Undine when I had the director of that play as a teacher so we talked about all the origins then. (Which was about 10 years ago)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages