snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Child Dies After Riding Epcot Attraction (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Child Dies After Riding Epcot Attraction
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jynni:
quote:
The park's fatalities before and since—up until the deaths involving the Sailing Ship Columbia in 1998 and Big Thunder Railroad in 2003—were all caused by victim recklessness. Someone—typically a teenager on Grad Nite—did something they weren't supposed to, like stood up on a bobsled or jumped between cars on the People Mover.
Not to get too far off the original topic but I thought the Thunder Mt. Railroad incident was a result of faulty maintenance or something like that. I never heard how it was resolved though.
This site attributes it to a computer glitch. This one is one of several that discuss a similar string of non-fatal accidents at the ride, but goes on to say that the fatal accident was caused by improper installation of a guidewheel.

However, ALL of the reports I am finding are in regard to the Big Thunder Mountain ride at DisneyLAND, not Disney WORLD. I'm pretty sure Columbia is a Disneyland attraction as well. Not only do I think adding the bit about other accidents wasn't really necessary to begin with, but it is rather sloppy to mention incidents that took place at the wrong park.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just lump all Disney parks together. They are all Disney. I also mis-typed and meant America Sings not carousel. Well, actually on second thought who cares if they shut it down. Why do I suddenly have "Jeramhia (sp) was a bullfrog" stuck in my head?

I assume when they say Carousel had the person on the left they mean the audiences left. For some reason that seems more dangerous to me. I also thought I read somewhere that she tried to walk between or something although I don't know (even if it were posible) how anyone would know what actually happened unless they were there. I just don't see how the incident could happen without some kind of stupidity or stumble. Although I guess that doesn't make her stupid, just human. My kid just won the presidental academic acheivement award but he sure has his stupid moments. (sorry but the article went out of the way to mention her award... it's always the smart kids that die and never the stupid ones)

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
(sorry but the article went out of the way to mention her award... it's always the smart kids that die and never the stupid ones)

The article was trying to discect why people are asking about this accident over 30 years later, when other accidents have come and gone and are basically forgotten. The fact that she was bright, young, and pretty was one theory.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The website above even mention a couple people that suffered bruises. Who hasn't? I don't think that makes a ride dangerous.

When I did a coasterthon to raise money for MS research and choose the big wooden thing (Thunder Road) and I got bruised all to hell, not to mention the back and neck pain AND it started to rain on us as well. I was in pain and wet. I should've called a personal injury attorney. The only thing the opperator warned us about was, and I quote "If your going to hurl please exit the train to your left and continue down the ramp" when we pulled into the station. Evidently it was ok to get beat up on the ride for hours but it wasn't ok to puke on it. A couple years later I braved the ride again. They now have new cars and its no longer a pain in the arse. Perhaps I should've picked Scooby Doo (the kiddie coaster instead but I often find they are worse).

I do realize this started out being a Disney thread but since the other link mentioned injuries at other parks I just wanted to mention I've been banged up more times than I can count and I often fell back and neck pain after a ride but I've survived (the above list definitely isn't all inclusive.... I know there are real injuries and deaths but minor problems are to be expected IMHO.

There used to be a theme park in Fl that had the damnest ride. It was a coaster that went forward and backward but didn't just do the standard loop thing. It had weird restraints and I don't know anyone who didn't get injured on that one. In fact people were comparing bruises in the gift shop. Although the place did shut down about a year later... I wonder why?

My kid skinned his knee at a play area in animal kingdom. He also got bit by a sting ray at Sea World (that was his own fault because he refused to let go of a fish) but he wasn't injured... the thing just keep coming after the fish and it was willing to try and take my kids hand in its mouth to get it and my kid was equally determined to hold onto the fish.

I've got hurt by animals at the Parrot Jungle and Monkey Jungle (I was little when I was bit by a beast) my parents complained and they were told "their animals were safe" (well the animals might be safe but I wasn't. My parents bought me a stuffed monkey that looked like the one who bit me to make up for it.

Rollercoaster bumps happen more often than I'd care to remember.

Bad designs happen. I remember always thinking the loop in the Mind Bender was to tight. Oops, forgot there was actually a fatality there a while back. Maybe it really is dangerous.

Things like Kumba and Dracon Fire (I'm honestly not trying to pick on Bush Gardens, I'm a certified Budweiser Beer Master, but they were the first examples I could think of) that have funny turns that bump your head against the shoulder bar. I think most of those type rides no long allow earrings (it would've been nice to know that recomendation before I got my neck pierced although I still never remove my little loop... if it ever looks like I'll be checked I'll cover it up and only have myself to blame).

Yea there's been times I've been hurt and it was hell on Earth. But I'd just really hate for the world to be saftey proofed to the point of being no fun.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigblu89:
This actually happened, it's not an Urban Legend, so why is it being discussed here?

According to the articles on the snopes.com site, an Urban Legend is one that is based on several stories, some based on truth some based on untruths. But I guess what they have in common is, I heard from a friend who knew someone that did this. Even if there are subsequent true stories, it is an urban legend. There is an urban legend that Pop Rocks can kill when mixed with soda. If one person actually did get killed eating pop rocks and soda, then it doesn't mean its Urban Legend status goes away. Or so that's what I got out of the articles on Snopes.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This actually happened, it's not an Urban Legend, so why is it being discussed here?
Because, as most people who post here know, "This actually happened" and "This is an urban legend" are not mutually exclusive.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
peaseblossom

[Frown] Poor kid
Kelfa21
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelfa21   E-mail Kelfa21   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom and I were visiting Disney World right after this ride opened...I was actually a bit nervous going on it, even though I'm a thrill-seeking freak, because of all the warning signs posted everywhere...the biggest warning being of motion sickness
Plus, you never really see what you're getting yourself into until you get on the platform right before you get into the capsules
Anyway, got on the ride and was fairly impressed...not over the top giddy...just satisfied...I thought the experiance was cool...

I do remember seeing quite a few youngsters going on the ride...the ride attendants made a point of picking the youngest riders to be the captains of the space ship...but..I guess I never pictured someone dying from this ride...

The ride that nearly put me into an advanced state of shock was Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter...now that ride was just horrifying...I could picture someone dropping from a heart attack caused from that ride...I'm suprized I dident...it was the first ride I ever went on that I refused to do it again

--------------------
If God was a college student he would not have created the world in seven days. He would have slacked off for six and then pulled an all-nighter

Posts: 30 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 106 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I just lump all Disney parks together. They are all Disney. I also mis-typed and meant America Sings not carousel. Well, actually on second thought who cares if they shut it down. Why do I suddenly have "Jeramhia (sp) was a bullfrog" stuck in my head?

I have no idea, because Joy To The World (AKA "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog" [Wink] ) is a Three Dog Night song.

Trish "That ain't the way to have fun, sooon" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 215 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Family of Boy Who Died in Disney Ride 'Trusting God's Heart'

The family of a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy who recently died after going on a Walt Disney World ride is trusting in God to cope with the tragedy.

http://www.charismanews.com/a.php?ArticleID=11344

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ronald:
... I'm not sure where his family was from originally (I'm guessing Central Africa), but that might have something to do with his stature.

quote:
The Bamuwamyes, who emigrated from Uganda
Well, I guess I was right on that count, at least.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy Died at Disney From Heart Condition

A 4-year-old boy who died after going on a rocket ship ride at Walt Disney World had a heart condition that caused his death.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DISNEY_WORLD_DEATH?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Miss Itch

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Boy Died at Disney From Heart Condition

A 4-year-old boy who died after going on a rocket ship ride at Walt Disney World had a heart condition that caused his death.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DISNEY_WORLD_DEATH?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I am glad this was cleared up! I was reading and getting really upset.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages