snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Stop clapping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stop clapping
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Bono is at a U2 concert in Glasgow when he asks the audience for
some quiet.

Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands.Holding the
audience in total silence, he says into the microphone...

"Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice from near the front pierces the silence...

"Well, stop bloody clapping then!"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was mentioned in the "heckling" thread in "Entertainment" a month or two back, but I don't think whether it was true or not was established.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick Google for "Well, stop bloody clapping then!" just returns a number of joke sites and a few Myspace profiles. The rest of the text is pretty much identical.

"Stop clapping then" retuns several more sites, which again appear to be primarily joke sites, blogs and messageboards.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I've heard this before...is it already a topic? Not sure...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was the heckling thread I started in entertainment, with an article from a newspaper where people had sent in funny stories about heckling. There was no supporting information to go with stories, and times and places weren't identified (though this particular story is pinned to Glasgow - and it is certainly funnier if you imagine the accent).

I wouldn't normally want to chow Snopes - but it seems quite appropriate in relation to heckling - where the outsider barges in to have their say and talk over the person who is actualy running the show.

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read an old joke from the UK about a politician and a heckler.

The MP says, "I mourn for my bleeding country," and someone in the audience responds "And so you should; you're the one what's been bleeding her!"

The Bono story, with it's punchline of "stop clapping," also reminds me of a man who went to the doctor, complaining (holds his arms up), "Doc, it hurts when I go like this." So the doctor replies (holding his arms up), "So don't go like this."

I guess that one isn't so funny, but I love the first one. Very English.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Carr tells this as a joke on one of his DVDs:

"Has anyone else seen those incredibly powerful advertisements in cinemas where each time a famous person clicked their fingers, an African child dies? I watched those, and couldn't help thinking, 'Well stop clicking your fingers!'"

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An older variation? I remember this quip on the Mary Whitehouse Experience, in the early 1990s:

"Every day an area of rainforest the size of Belgium is destroyed. Why not just destroy Belgium?"

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, Jimmy Carr pinches this in his show:

"Every day an area of land the size of Wales is destroyed. Why is it never Wales?"

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More variations :

- You know what ? Every time I breathe, someone dies.

- Have you tried a good mouthwash ?

or:

- In New York City, a person's hit by a car every 5 minutes.

- OOOH, poor guy !

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages