snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Pray the Pledge of Allegiance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pray the Pledge of Allegiance
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am about 99% sure this is satirical, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of "letting off the hook" device in this. At least I hope this is satirical.

I searched and did not find this in the archive, so chow if necessary.

All I can say is WOW

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Landover Baptist. They're known for being an extreme parody of fundamentalist churches.

I've bought thongs as gifts from them. One of them has a picture of Jesus with the phrase "What Would Jesus Do?" on it.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I noticed that your link points to Landoverbaptist.org. This is a satire site that has fooled/cofused a number of people, so don't feel alone. Here is the Wikipedia entry for it.

ETA: To make it clear I'm just pointing in the right direction, not being snarky.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After a second look I saw the Jesus thong.

The frightening thing is that much of what was said on the web site is not far off from actual things I've heard extremists say. I knew that the language was way over the line for most everyone except the Chick/Phelps crowd.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy Joe:
The frightening thing is that much of what was said on the web site is not far off from actual things I've heard extremists say.

This is why LandoverBaptist.org get so much flak from people (concerned or outraged, Christians or Atheists alike) who mistake them for a real fundie church. The satire is too close to the grim reality.

You also have the real fundies who understand it's satire after a while and damn them to Hell for making fun of Religion.

Or those who don't get the spoof at all, take them seriously and highly praise them for doing God's work.

Anyway, a visit to their mail section is highly entertaining:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/mail/

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages