snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Renaming countries (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Renaming countries
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:

And speaking of renaming countries, the story is most likely apocryphal, but it’s told that when the dictator Idi Amin was lording it over Uganda, he assembled his rubber-stamp Cabinet for a meeting during which he broached his latest brainstorm.

"Gentlemen," His Immensity boomed. "All over Africa, our brothers are freeing themselves from the shackles of colonization, from being subjugated by our Western masters. They have not only driven the white man out, but they have jettisoned the colonial names he gave the nations of Africa.

"Rhodesia is now known as Zimbabwe; the Belgian Congo is now Zaire, just to cite two examples. I suggest we change the name of our country."

"And pray, tell, O Rotund One," said his chief adviser. "What name do you propose for Uganda?"

Idi Amin struck a pose of deep thought, then he said, "I sort of like the name ‘Republic of Idi.’ It’s got a nice ring to it."

As he expected, everyone in the room nodded assent. Except for one, a slightly built, vertically challenged—there goes that word again—balding guy in his late 60s. Uganda’s minister of education.

"You don’t seem to agree with the rest, Mr. Minister," said Idi Amin. "Do you have any objections to the proposal?"

"Not at all," said the education chief. Still wearing his Mona Lisa smile, he went on. "But allow me to mention here that in the middle of the Mediterranean is a small island called Cyprus."

"And so?" said Idi Amin "I don’t seem to fathom how the name of an island in the West has anything to do with my proposal to call our nation the Republic of Idi."

"Please forgive my impertinence, O Big One," replied the education minister sheepishly. "My reservations are rooted on only one item of semantics."

"And what might that be?"

"Well, the natives are called Cypriots."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. This joke went on a lot longer than it had to because it's full of glurge language.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That it did, but it is cute.

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So it is saying blacks are stupid for not wanting to keep names of their countries based on European colonial rule...

I guess it is basically saying that intelligent blacks would accept themselves as an inferior, subserviant race?

Of course, English often gives other countries different names. For instance Duetchland is called Germany and Nihon is called Japan...

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Not at all," said the education chief. Still wearing his Mona Lisa smile, he went on. "But allow me to mention here that in the middle of the Mediterranean is a small island called Cyprus."

"And so?" said Idi Amin "I don’t seem to fathom how the name of an island in the West has anything to do with my proposal to call our nation the Republic of Idi."

Cyprus is "the West" to Ugandans? Even if he means "the West" to mean NATO bloc countries or some other political meaning, is Cyprus so consistantly part of US-backed action that it would be considered to be part of the US group?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
So it is saying blacks are stupid for not wanting to keep names of their countries based on European colonial rule...

I guess it is basically saying that intelligent blacks would accept themselves as an inferior, subserviant race?

No, it's basically saying that people who live in a counrty called Idi would be called "Idiots."

It's a joke, you see.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The joke is about Idi Amin, i.e. the notoriously megalomaniacal dictator of Uganda, rather than black people in general.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, English often gives other countries different names. For instance Duetchland is called Germany and Nihon is called Japan...

This seems like a good opportunity to ask something that I've always wondered. Why? That is, why don't we call Deutschland Deutschland? It just seems... I don't know... rude to continue to call it "Germany" when they've been calling themselves "Deutschland" for quite a long time now. I can understand translating "Bundesrepublik" to "Federal Republic," but not the "Germany" part.

My question isn't specific to Germany, but rather a broader "why don't we call some countries by the names they call themselves" question.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cestrian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cestrian   E-mail Cestrian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is not a joke against Africans but against a particular African, "Idi Amin" of Uganda, who was a somewhat eccentric and unpleasant dictator some 20-30 years ago. [He was deposed by Julius Nyerere of Tanzania and died in exile in Saudi Arabia a few years ago].

ETA: spanked twice ... I should type faster and stop wool gathering!

--------------------
"Endeavour to persevere"

Posts: 104 | From: Gravesend, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IIRC, in the case of of some asian countries, the Anglicization of thier written language was vastly different to the pronounciation of the name in the coutries' languages. for example, Peeking recently (like 15+ years) became Beijing because the latter is closer to the pheonic spelling of the correct pronounciation.

In the case of Germany. France, Scotland and England they are so named (in English) because the original occupants were Germanics, Franks, Scots, and Anglos respectively.

No Idea about Ireland, though. Never heard of the Ires. [Razz]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem. The original inhabitants of England were certainly not English.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC the Scotti were originally from the south-west of Scotland only (and had emigrated there from Ireland?).

--------------------

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:

Actually, you're right. IIRC, they were the Britons, and the Anglos moved in. But it was the Anglos who began building cities and named the place.

Britanny, which I beleive was named for the Britons, is located in Northern France.

Berhaps I should have phrased it "The people living there when English-speakers discovered it."

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cestrian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cestrian   E-mail Cestrian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:

Actually, you're right. IIRC, they were the Britons, and the Anglos moved in. But it was the Anglos who began building cities and named the place.

Britanny, which I beleive was named for the Britons, is located in Northern France.

Berhaps I should have phrased it "The people living there when English-speakers" discovered it.

Not Anglos .. Angles, Saxons and Jutes.
Also English developed in England later, the original tribes (listed above) were Germanic and did not speak English.

--------------------
"Endeavour to persevere"

Posts: 104 | From: Gravesend, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there were cities before the Anglo-Saxons; Chester, Manchester, Bath, London, for instance.

And I think you mis-spelled "invaded." [Razz]

--------------------

Cestrian
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Well, there were cities before the Anglo-Saxons; Chester, Manchester, Bath, London, for instance.

And I think you mis-spelled "invaded." [Razz]

Well, one version of history has it that the Anglo-Saxons were originally "invited" into Britain in order to fend off the Vikings who were ravaging the coasts Northern Europe at the time.

--------------------
"Endeavour to persevere"

DemonWolf

quote:
Originally posted by Cestrian:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DemonWolf:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Chloe:
[qb] Also English developed in England later, the original tribes (listed above) were Germanic and did not speak English.

I did not know that. I thought it was named for the Angles and that "England" was a corruption of the word "Angland," Just as "Ireland" is from "Eire" and "land."

Also, IIRC, English developed from Germanic. So at some point, they would have become English speakers.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Mistletoey Chloe

Picts and Scots, rather than Vikings. Though I think if you go home and get all your friends to come back with you, it counts as an invasion.

--------------------

NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
IIRC the Scotti were originally from the south-west of Scotland only (and had emigrated there from Ireland?).

My understanding is that the Scoti were the Irish and the name came from them (like you said, the Irish immigrated to what is now SW Scotland). I've seen references to Ireland being called Major Scotia and the (now) Scottish highlands being called Minor Scotia for the origin of the term, but I don't know the accuracy of that (I've always seen the "other" names of these countries as Hibernia and Eireann (with various spellings) for Ireland; and Caledonia and Alba for Scotland).

Wiki says that "scoti" was the Latin name for Gaelic-speaking people, so that further confuses the issue, since it would seem to apply to everyone, and not just the Irish (or just the Scottish, for that matter).

ETA didn't we recently have a "why do we call Deutschland Germany?" discussion in another thread or am I imagining things? Could be deja vu...

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, I think it's poking fun at people who take jokes literally.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Take your pick:
  • Switzerland (English)
  • Schweiz (German)
  • Suisse (French)
  • Svizzera (Italian)
  • Svizra (Romansh)
  • Confoederatio Helvetica (Latin, official name)

quote:
I was taught that Japan is the Chinese pronunciation of the kanji symbols for Nihon (Nippon is what I learned as the local name of the country).

English is not the only language that changes the names of countries. How would you like to live in the Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika or Frankreich?

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Die Capacitrix:
English is not the only language that changes the names of countries. How would you like to live in the Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika or Frankreich?

Weirdly, I don't see as much of an issue with, say, Spanish speakers calling the United States "los Estados Unidos" or using "Federal Republic" in place of "Bundesrepublik" in Germany's name.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Furious:
This seems like a good opportunity to ask something that I've always wondered. Why? That is, why don't we call Deutschland Deutschland? It just seems... I don't know... rude to continue to call it "Germany" when they've been calling themselves "Deutschland" for quite a long time now. I can understand translating "Bundesrepublik" to "Federal Republic," but not the "Germany" part.

My question isn't specific to Germany, but rather a broader "why don't we call some countries by the names they call themselves" question.

I'm with you, not just on countries but on cities as well. I think we should refer to the capitals of France, Italy, Russia and Massachusetts as Pa-REE, Roma, Moskva and Bawston. (Give me those and I'll go along with Missoura.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mythology/Folklore instructor had a map in which all the countries and cities were labeled by what the inhabitants of the place called it. It was very cool and I wish I could remember where he'd found it.

ETC a word.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
IIRC, in the case of of some asian countries, the Anglicization of thier written language was vastly different to the pronounciation of the name in the coutries' languages. for example, Peeking recently (like 15+ years) became Beijing because the latter is closer to the pheonic spelling of the correct pronounciation.

You thinking of how Wade-Giles letters are pronunced radically different from how most people pronounce them in their native languages.

For example, Peking (WG) and Beijing (Pinyin) are pronounced nearly the same. Most people, however pronounce Peking as if were actually Wade-Giles P'ek'ing.

(This weirdness isn't random -- it allows the WG to be used for a variety of Chinese languages, not just Mandarian. The letter B is actually used to represent a B sound in another Chinese language.)

quote:
quote:
I was taught that Japan is the Chinese pronunciation of the kanji symbols for Nihon (Nippon is what I learned as the local name of the country).
More likely Japan represents a corruption (via Portuguese) of an older Japanese pronunciation of Nihon (Nippon).

Names for Germany explain the origins of various names for Germany.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Furious:
quote:

Weirdly, I don't see as much of an issue with, say, Spanish speakers calling the United States "los Estados Unidos" or using "Federal Republic" in place of "Bundesrepublik" in Germany's name.
That's not exactly the same, IMO as calling Japan or Germany by other names. los Estados Unidos is Spanish for "the United States". It is no different than calling the USSR the USSR instead of the CCCP. When a country's name is common words, saying those words in your native language is similar to saying that country's name in your own pronounciation.

Note: My exception to this rule is when the name for the country means something like "The Land" or "Our Home" in the native language. Since calling a country "The Land" would be very confusing, I would say that it should remain the original name. This is a bit confusing in Germany's case. The Wikipedia article says that Deutschland means "folk", which would fall under the rule above. But Babelfish won't translate it to English, so it doesn't have a common meaning according to it.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
But Babelfish won't translate it to English, so it doesn't have a common meaning according to it.

When I ran "Deutschland" through Babelfish, it came back with "Germany." When I entered "Deutsch land" (note the space), it came back with "German Country."

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think part of the reason that countries have different names in different languages is simply because their orginial names have been adapted to fit the pronunciation and spelling rules of the target language.

I don't really think it's 'rude' not to call Finland Suomi or Denmark Danmark just because that's what they're called by their inhabitants; languages has evolved and names of places have come into them and adapted - why change it?

Also, what would you call Norway (we have two different written forms here - it's either Norge or Noreg) or India for that matter? Which language should take precedence?

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempura:
I'm with you, not just on countries but on cities as well. I think we should refer to the capitals of France, Italy, Russia and Massachusetts as Pa-REE, Roma, Moskva and Bawston. (Give me those and I'll go along with Missoura.)

Cities in Norwegian usually keep their original spelling, but are pronounced as though they were Norwegian words; so Moskva is the capital of Russia (though the stress is on the first, and not the second syllable), Roma of Italy (with a /u/ and not /o/ for the o though) and Paris the capital of France (though with an alveolar trill and the last s pronounced).

On the topic of cities, here and here are lists of European place names in various languages.

Dieter 'but I'm all for calling Switzerland Helvetica' Meyer

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
More likely Japan represents a corruption (via Portuguese) of an older Japanese pronunciation of Nihon (Nippon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jipangu

Japan is the Chinese reading of the Japanese word Nihon (or really Nihon koku) after having been filtered through a couple other languages; Portuguese and possibly Arabic and Venitian as well.

Japanese never called themselves "Japan" or any word that sounds like that, though it is sometimes rarely used to self-identify today. (Calling the Japanese rail network the JR for example.)

(Technically you might be able to read "nihon/nippon" as "jippon" though I don't know if such an alternative reading would ever be correct.)

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dieter Meyer:
I think part of the reason that countries have different names in different languages is simply because their orginial names have been adapted to fit the pronunciation and spelling rules of the target language.

Another part - as you can see from the " Names for Germany" page - is that the name for the region/people in many cases did develop before the (todays) country existed. Especially the European names for Germany are mostly derived from the name of one of the tribes/people settling the land in former times - Alamanni, Saxons or the more generic Germani. So the people of what would become France first met Alamanni people and named their land accordingly, whereas the Finns met Saxons. When Alamania/Saxonia became Deutschland later on, it kept the original name in the neighbor's languages.

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

quote:
On the topic of cities, here and here are lists of European place names in various languages.

That reminds me of something which hangs my munchkin - half-translated names, such as in the case of football club Bayern Munchen, which is referred to in Britain as Bayern Munich - surely you should either just call it by its original name, or go the whole hog and refer to it as Bavaria Munich.

--------------------

Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm with you, not just on countries but on cities as well. I think we should refer to the capitals of France, Italy, Russia and Massachusetts as Pa-REE, Roma, Moskva and Bawston. (Give me those and I'll go along with Missoura.) [/QB]
Eh-huh. Let's hear you pronounce 's Hertogenbosch, then.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Nippon or Nihon. Either one is okay. "Japan" sort of resembles the Chinese pronunciation of the characters but came to English after having passed through several other languages, including Malay and Portuguese.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brrrtje:
quote:
Eh-huh. Let's hear you pronounce 's Hertogenbosch, then.
That's easy: It's "'s-Hertogenbosch" and it's a town in Holland ... [Wink]

Don "The Netherlands! The Netherlands! Put that fish down!" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't really think it's 'rude' not to call Finland Suomi or Denmark Danmark just because that's what they're called by their inhabitants

Since Finland is called Finland by its Swedish speaking inhabitants it would definitely not be rude at all.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages