snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Payback Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Payback Time
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A man and his wife were spending a day at the zoo. She was wearing a loose-fitting, pink dress, sleeveless with straps. He was wearing his usual jeans and T-shirt. As they walked through the ape section, they passed in front of a large, silverback gorilla.

Noticing the wife, the gorilla went crazy. He jumped on the bars, and holding on with one hand and two feet, he grunted and pounded his chest with his free hand. He was obviously excited at the pretty lady in the pink dress.

The husband, noticing the excitement, thought this was funny. He suggested that his wife tease the poor fellow some more by puckering her lips and wiggling her bottom. She played along and the gorilla got even more excited, making noises that would wake the dead.

Then the husband suggested that she let one of her straps fall to show a little more skin. She did this and the gorilla was about to tear the
bars down. "Now show your thighs and sort of fan your dress at him," he said. This drove the gorilla absolutely crazy and he started doing flips.Then the husband grabbed his wife, ripped open the door to the cage, flung her in with the gorilla and slammed the cage door shut.
"Now tell him you have a headache."

----

What we have learned- don't look attractive unless you want to have sex. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's more than don't look attractive unless you want to have sex, presumably the wife has previously done a virtual striptease in front of her husband (with a headache) and then refused to have sex with him [Confused] .

And are gorillas usually turned on by human females rather than other gorillas?

Stoneage "yes, I know it's just a joke, but it's barely even Jim Davidson standard" Dinosaur

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention that she probably doesn't know Gorilla for 'I have a headache'.

--------------------

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I saw the Gorilla for i have a headache at the zoo once. The big 'dominant' male gorilla was tugging on the female trying to get her to follow him back into the grotto and she mushed a handful of banana in his face and walked off.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That joke reminded me of this one:

A (insert ethnicity here*) man saw a classified ad reading: Man wanted to have sex with female gorilla in scientific experiment for $5,000. The guy calls the lab and says I will do it under three conditions. First, you can't tell my wife, second, I get to pick the gorilla, and third, you let pay in monthly installments.

*I have heard this with the man being Polish, French, or Mexican.

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"The official Polish/Italian Jokebook" by Larry Wilde has this joke. The second requirement was that any children had to be raised Catholic.

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And she lived happily ever after (with the gorilla, of course).
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would people actually think that a gorilla would find a human attractive?...
And would care if she was more or less naked for that matter? Female gorillas aren't terribly known for stripping... at least, I don't think that's part of their mating rituals...

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And then the woman's boyfriend in the gorilla suit carried her off into the cave. He removed the suit and they both left the enclosure. After some suitable fake battering, her husband was arrested for attempted murder and she and her boyfriend lived happily on her husband's money for 30-45 years.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty freakin' sick. One of those "she asked for it" lines of thought.

I don't know what ever convinced people they can't take things into their own hands, and that, somehow, being aroused by someone means that they owe you sex. B.S.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't read it so much as a matter of one person owing another sex because they happened to cause arousal, but because they deliberately escalated it and led them on. I could also see it working if the genders were reversed. Of course, one can certainly make the case that "leading someone on" doesn't mean that anything is really "owed."

Anyway, all I saw in this was a hyperbolic expression of the frustration some individuals, men and women, feel when they aren't satisfied in a relationship. Humor can be a healthy outlet sometimes.

And I did laugh at the punchline.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thalomarre:
I didn't read it so much as a matter of one person owing another sex because they happened to cause arousal, but because they deliberately escalated it and led them on.

But in the joke, she "deliberately escalated it" because her husband told her to.

I also didn't get the implication that her dress was sexy because it was loose-fitting.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, in the real world, I'd say they're both jackasses; him for having the idea and her for going along with it.

But that said... meh. Sure, you can read volumes and volumes of subtext into it about social, sexual, gender, possibly even racial issues that do of course matter and should be addressed in their own contexts. But to me, this is just a stupid little joke about someone's sexual frustration.

--------------------
Bedlam boys are bonny,

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But that said... meh. Sure, you can read volumes and volumes of subtext into it about social, sexual, gender, possibly even racial issues that do of course matter and should be addressed in their own contexts. But to me, this is just a stupid little joke about someone's sexual frustration.

And his violent, hateful way of dealing with it.

Meh, and all.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said, the joke is hyperbole. The the "someone" I referenced above who's taking out his or her frustration is the author, who I doubt truly feels the husband is justified in his actions. Haven't you ever uttered something to the effect of "I'm gonna kill you for this," when you were frustrated or angry with someone?

I just don't see this as anything more than that.

[Edited for clarity. Thrice. Which probably had the effect of further convoluting my point.]

--------------------
Bedlam boys are bonny,

Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
I didn't read it so much as a matter of one person owing another sex because they happened to cause arousal, but because they deliberately escalated it and led them on.

But in the joke, she "deliberately escalated it" because her husband told her to.
Well, he had to tell her to set up a parallel. It is clearly implied that situations like this (or perceived like this by the husband) happen "at home" on a regular basis. Not that it makes the joke any better, but the logic holds at this point I think. It breaks down at a few other places, though.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two more jokes in the same vein to spur [strike]arguement[/strike] conversation:

Q1: How do you get your girlfriend to stop having sex with you?
A: Marry her!

2: John comes into the bedroom and hand his wife a bottle of aspirin.
"What's this for?" She asks.
"For your headache," he replies.
"I don't have a headache," she says, puzzled.
"Well, in that case let's get it on."

I once had a psychology professor tell me that all stereotypes contain some truth, which has been magnified to become the stereotype, else we would not recognize it....

-rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rogue:
Two more jokes in the same vein to spur [strike]arguement[/strike] conversation:

2: John comes into the bedroom and hand his wife a bottle of aspirin.
"What's this for?" She asks.
"For your headache," he replies.
"I don't have a headache," she says, puzzled.
"Well, in that case let's get it on."

I once had a psychology professor tell me that all stereotypes contain some truth, which has been magnified to become the stereotype, else we would not recognize it....

-rogue

The trouble with the second joke is that stuff like that creates a sometimes genuine belief that a wife 'owes' her husband sex and needs an excuse to get out of it.

Personally I don't see why none of the people on tv shows and the like who give the headache excuse don't just say they don't want it right now. And the real reason why, like 'you're a 2-dimensional character and keep resuing the same plotlines! I'm quitting my job as 'nagging housewife' on 'lame joke as a title' sitcom and going on Big Brother!'

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the second joke as a commercial, once.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Alternate form:

What do you feed a woman to stop her from having sex with you?

Her wedding cake!

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam

quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Cactus:
The trouble with the second joke is that stuff like that creates a sometimes genuine belief that a wife 'owes' her husband sex and needs an excuse to get out of it.

Of course, one could put a positive spin on that as well; by circumventing what presumably is a lie his wife has fed him numerous times in the past to get out of sex, he's forcing her to either come up with a new lie, or be honest and tell him she's just not in the mood.

But then again, if his goal were indeed to promote openness and honesty in the relationship, I suppose he could have just told her she didn't have to lie to him. But that's not nearly as funny.

--------------------
Bedlam boys are bonny,

Spooky Cactus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Cactus:

Of course, one could put a positive spin on that as well; by circumventing what presumably is a lie his wife has fed him numerous times in the past to get out of sex, he's forcing her to either come up with a new lie, or be honest and tell him she's just not in the mood.

But then again, if his goal were indeed to promote openness and honesty in the relationship, I suppose he could have just told her she didn't have to lie to him. But that's not nearly as funny.

Tomahtoes and tomaytoes in that case: I didn't think the joke was funny either. [Wink]

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
quote:

Alternate form:

What do you feed a woman to stop her from having sex with you?

Her wedding cake!

Slight variation of the theme:

Her: I have a headache.
Him: No problem. I don't want to touch your head.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
I don't know what ever convinced people they can't take things into their own hands, and that, somehow, being aroused by someone means that they owe you sex. B.S.

It's a pretty common belief among (some) sects of Christianity that the woman is supposed to do anything the man says, because Ephesians 5:22 says "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord..."

Although, it should be noted, *I'm* not saying it means "give it up every time he asks," but a lot of Christians do believe that one of the things it means.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
quote:

It's a pretty common belief among (some) sects of Christianity that the woman is supposed to do anything the man says, because Ephesians 5:22 says "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord..."

Although, it should be noted, *I'm* not saying it means "give it up every time he asks," but a lot of Christians do believe that one of the things it means.

Yeah, trust me, I'm well aware of that, being a feminist ex-Southern Baptist!

It was more of an expression of frusturation than anything else.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
As I said, the joke is hyperbole. The the "someone" I referenced above who's taking out his or her frustration is the author, who I doubt truly feels the husband is justified in his actions. Haven't you ever uttered something to the effect of "I'm gonna kill you for this," when you were frustrated or angry with someone?

Well, I think "I'm gonna kill you for this" is far less graphic and henious than finding it funny to lock someone in a cage with a wild animal to be raped, assaulted and perhaps killed. YMMV.

quote:

I just don't see this as anything more than that.

Might not be if the rate of violence against women wasn't so high, or if a common excuse for rape and other forms of violence wasn't a woman's dress, deportmant, or the belief that "she lead him on."

Reminds me of a "joke" my family loves to tell:

Warning - this is highly racist and uses objectional language, and it's pretty stupid:

A black man and a white man are talking. The black man says "I just got me a new cadillac, and you know what it says? Honky, honky"

The white man says, "Well, I just got a new chainsaw, and it says: run, niggerniggernigger; run niggerniggernigger"

Notice a few things here, that parallel the joke in the OP:

- The escelation of threat from one party being mildly irritating to the other being physically violent.

- The socially dominant party getting the upper hand.

- The use of oppressive language or stereotypes to generate the humor.

Humor isn't harmless.

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
And are gorillas usually turned on by human females rather than other gorillas?

According to a friend who used to work as a docent at the Woodland Park Zoo: yes.

It may or may not be true, but at least it's not from a FOAF, but AF.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I scream scooper
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I scream scooper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Humor isn't harmless. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Words are very powerful tools. I believe the media to be the most powerful weapon in the world.

--------------------
I scream use cream

Posts: 14 | From: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam

quote:
Humor isn't harmless.

I agree that humor, and the written or spoken word in any form, can be devastatingly harmful, and the piece you quoted is a perfect example of that.

Let me take another moment to think about and explain why I don't really have a problem with the OP.

First of all, the situation itself is completely absurd. While I'm aware that domestic violence is an terribly unfortunate reality, the outcome of this joke is so unrealistic that it's almost surreal. We know that a man can't just rip open a zoo cage door, throw a woman in, and shut it behind her. It's like seeing Bugs Bunny get hit with an anvil. We know it's not real, and we're not expected to treat it as such.

Secondly, I don't see this as truly misogynistic. Her supposed fault lies not in her gender per se, but in (bear in mind that this is coming from a point of view that, like the joke, is simplistic and exaggerated) her unreasonably withholding something that the husband desperately craves. This phenomenon occurs in many relationships, and the "offender" is not always female.

And thirdly, we're dealing with a sense of frustration that occurs in many relationships, I suspect only a fraction of which are abusive in any way. It doesn't even have to be sexual in nature; it could represent a harmless but annoying habit that the spouse lives with which aggravates him or her to no end. This joke represents frustration, a perfectly natural and acceptable emotion, whereas the Cadillac/chainsaw joke represents racism, which we all know to be a terrible evil.

Don't get me wrong. A similar situation in the real world would not be the least bit funny; the man's crime would be unforgivable no matter how much he thought his wife deserved it, and I think the author, like any decent human being, would agree. But in the world of comedy, where coyotes are driven off cliffs and sweet little old ladies murder and chop up innocent young men, the rules are different.

Of course, I'm not saying no one should be offended and that everyone should "just lighten up." I think it's useful and healthy to deconstruct products of our culture and evaluate their significance. That doesn't mean that we'll all necessarily reach the same conclusions, as this thread shows.

--------------------
Bedlam boys are bonny,

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whaow - that's much time and talent spent analyzing an old and tired sexist joke that's been around for 20 years, if not much more.

Here's another one from the other side :

A couple lies in bed after having sex. The guy turns to his wife and asks :

"Tell me, honey, have you ever wished you were a man ?"

She :

"Never, darling... and you ?"

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Yeah, trust me, I'm well aware of that, being a feminist ex-Southern Baptist!

It was more of an expression of frusturation than anything else.

Understood (I'm one too, although I don't necessarily believe everything they do). My post wasn't really directed at you. It was just more of a general comment.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

quote:

First of all, the situation itself is completely absurd. While I'm aware that domestic violence is an terribly unfortunate reality, the outcome of this joke is so unrealistic that it's almost surreal. We know that a man can't just rip open a zoo cage door, throw a woman in, and shut it behind her. It's like seeing Bugs Bunny get hit with an anvil. We know it's not real, and we're not expected to treat it as such.

that's not the offensive part.

quote:

Secondly, I don't see this as truly misogynistic. Her supposed fault lies not in her gender per se, but in (bear in mind that this is coming from a point of view that, like the joke, is simplistic and exaggerated) her unreasonably withholding something that the husband desperately craves. This phenomenon occurs in many relationships, and the "offender" is not always female.

Unreasonably? I must have missed the bit where it says she unreasonably withholds sex.
Even if it does occur in many relaionships, it's no excuse for violence or humiliation.

quote:

And thirdly, we're dealing with a sense of frustration that occurs in many relationships, I suspect only a fraction of which are abusive in any way. It doesn't even have to be sexual in nature; it could represent a harmless but annoying habit that the spouse lives with which aggravates him or her to no end. This joke represents frustration, a perfectly natural and acceptable emotion, whereas the Cadillac/chainsaw joke represents racism, which we all know to be a terrible evil.

No, the joke represents someone not being able to handle rejection / getting turned on by looking at a woman and expecting sex.

quote:

Don't get me wrong. A similar situation in the real world would not be the least bit funny; the man's crime would be unforgivable no matter how much he thought his wife deserved it, and I think the author, like any decent human being, would agree. But in the world of comedy, where coyotes are driven off cliffs and sweet little old ladies murder and chop up innocent young men, the rules are different.

Those examples are funny (possibly) because they're so far removed from reality. This is not funny because there are people out there who actually think like the man in the joke.

--------------------

Tom o' Bedlam

quote:
Unreasonably? I must have missed the bit where it says she unreasonably withholds sex.
Even if it does occur in many relaionships, it's no excuse for violence or humiliation.

I believe it's implied that she's done so in the past. Perhaps "unreasonably" is the wrong word. And no, in the real world it's not an excuse for violence or humiliation, and that's why this is a joke and not a news article.

quote:
No, the joke represents someone not being able to handle rejection / getting turned on by looking at a woman and expecting sex.
A valid enough interpretation. I maintain that this doesn't make it sexist though, as it can go both ways.

quote:
Those examples are funny (possibly) because they're so far removed from reality. This is not funny because there are people out there who actually think like the man in the joke.
There are really people who think animal torture and murder are all well and good too. Maybe it's a difference of personal experience, but from my perspective the joke doesn't seem any further removed from reality than my examples.

--------------------
Bedlam boys are bonny,

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages