snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » I'm totally psyched about this humiliation! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm totally psyched about this humiliation!
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
I remember reading once that because in German the verb comes at the end of a sentance, the punchlines isn't "delayed" in the same way as English meaning the word-play kind of jokes, common in English, won't work in German.

Surprises me, though. We certainly have some word play humour in Germany, sometimes even jokes can be translated directly from English without losing their appeal. Maybe some things don't work this way round or the other, but that is bound to happen with different languages regardless of verb positioning [Smile]

The bad thing about published German humour admittedly is, that the best authors and enactors died or at least jumped the shark. So, when you see a comedy show, I can understand that you doubt German humour [Smile]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That can't be a real aborted fetus in the blog-- it's too far along. Abortion that far along is legal only when the fetus is discovered to have a lethal defect, like anencephaly (absence of brain), which it is easy to see this fetus does not have. Even when the mother developes a health problem that requires termination of the pregnancy, if it's gone beyond 26 weeks, every effort is made to save the baby. This fetus looks farther along than 26 weeks. The smooth skin is the clue. IF it's a real fetus, it's a still-birth, or a preemie that didn't make it. The blood is obviously added; births, even by c-section, are not that bloody.

BTW: fetuses with lethal brain defects like anencaphaly are almost always what is aborted in the so-called "partial birth abortions," where the fetus is sometimes dissected before it is fully delivered. Aside from the fact the fetus' heart is usually stopped before dissection begins, even if not-- A FETUS WITHOUT A BRAIN DOESN'T FEEL PAIN!

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete says that he believed it because he meets women with her attitude all the time. What?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Pete says that he believed it because he meets women with her attitude all the time. What?

Well, when you're as wild a demagogue as Pete, when your politics are so firmly stuffed into such a tiny little barrel, you really start to hear only what you want to hear from others. So "A woman's right to choose is inalienable and inviolable" would start to sound like, "Aren't abortions just wonderful? I'm going to run out and get one RIGHT NOW!"

Basically, he's seeing the two statements from so far away that they appear side-by-side, even though they're miles apart. And he's in good company. You can't turn on the TV these days without some pundit equating "Are you sure going to war in Iraq was a good idea?" with "Death to America! Death to the President! All hail Osama! Allahu Akbar! Snarf!"

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bet this guy likes Faithmouse. If you frequent the Glurge Gallery, you've seen this one before:

http://www.faithmouse.com/daily256.gif

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages