snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Jest in Time II Porsche Tale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jest in Time II Porsche Tale
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Jest in Time II but I thought that the story of the blonde and the porche didn't really fit the selection. Firstly, it wasn't actually a joke. It wasn't funny- and I don't think it was intended to be funny. It was a tale that make a point- don't judge a person by her looks- the bank thought the woman was dumb, but in fact it was a neat piece of financial shrewdness!

For sure, it isn't TRUE . But then the story about the woman who sells her husbands porche for $1 isn't TRUE either. Thats why we call them legends!

OK, it had flaws. Do banks make such short term loans? Does the bank actually TAKE a car and look after it as collateral?

Mathematically it DOES work - $15 interest on $5000 in 2 weeks is about 7.5% a year- a pretty standard rate.

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Firstly, it wasn't actually a joke. It wasn't funny- and I don't think it was intended to be funny.
http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/12/t/000489/p/2.html#000052
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You miss my point- I was saying that in my opinion it wasn't intended to simply be a funny joke (unlike the rest of the stuff in that section.)

So... its a parody? Of what, exactly? A blonde joke? Banks?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parody

To my reading, it was a witty tale that serves to make a point.

I can, however, see how it could just be a parody- you were expecting a blonde punchline and didn't get one.

**** it.

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages