snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Bizarro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bizarro
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=20060403
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get it. [Frown]

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "off-model" caveman is from B.C., a comic strip that over the years has become little more than a bizarre soapbox for the creator's Christian viewpoint.

-Tabby
the "and I laughed so hard at that when I saw it in the paper" princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Molasses Cellany
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molasses Cellany   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]

Spikey, if you don't get it, that means you've been lucky and escaped exposure to B.C. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC and click B.C. (comic) to learn more. The forum won't let me link to a URL with parentheses.

I hate that strip so. Yesterday's in particular made me want to track down the author and smack him with a science textbook.

--------------------
Not Mandatory

Posts: 398 | From: Yuma, AZ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
B.C. is not set in the past, but in a post-apocalyptic future, as strips like this one seem to indicate.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Cellany but my aim's improving:
[lol]

Spikey, if you don't get it, that means you've been lucky and escaped exposure to B.C. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC and click B.C. (comic) to learn more. The forum won't let me link to a URL with parentheses.

How strange. Neither RFC3986, nor its predecessors, RFC2396 or RFC1738, which describe the syntax for URLs, seem to think parentheses are a problem.

In any case, problem characters can be escaped by url encoding them; "(" is equivalent to "%28" and ")" is "%29" thusly:

Never mind, strike the encoding idea, this board won't even let me encode them without complaining about parentheses.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Howard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nick,

If you read the link Miss Cellany provided, you'll see that B.C. is set in pre history. Hence the dinosaurs.

--------------------
"I believe you believe that, but I just think you're confused."

Posts: 311 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...and if you read Nick's link, you'll see that he appears to be correct. It seems that Hart may have changed his model (to the post-apocalyptic)to accomodate his anachronisms. The earliest strips certainly seemed to be set in prehistory, but the later ones (with the characters of Conahonty and Anno Domini) seem to suggest otherwise.

Of course, at the end of the day, it's all just a comic strip.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Truth is, I was posting partly tongue-in-cheek. It's a running joke in some comic strip discussions that B.C. is "really" a post-apocalyptic strip. The fact is, it's not "really" set anywhere (or anywhen). I don't think Jonny Hart woke up one day after he got religion and thought, "hmmm... if I want to have the characters talk about Jesus, then I had better change the venue for the strip." Rather, whatever the original setting for the strip was, I think he just used his established characters and setting to write about whatever he felt like writing about, without regard to anachronisms or verisimilitude. It's his strip and he can do what he wants; I just wish he hadn't sucked all the funny out it when he did find Jesus.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Cellany but my aim's improving:
I hate that strip so. Yesterday's in particular made me want to track down the author and smack him with a science textbook.

Ugh. I just looked that one up.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Molasses Cellany
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molasses Cellany   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know! I know! The B.C. universe has been subjected to a horrendous time-space anomaly. That explains everything!

Back when I was still churchgoing, I'd clip one of the strips out every once in a while and ask the pastors if they thought there was any funny in it. General consensus: no. [Roll Eyes]

ETA: Nick, tried the encoding trick as well. Twice. I hate having to give runaround links, but I found myself pretty much forced into it there.

--------------------
Not Mandatory

Posts: 398 | From: Yuma, AZ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bunion
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never really found B.C. that funny either, I don't mind his religious point of view, I just fail to find the strip funny. Sort of like Garfield, Beatle Bailey, Haggar the Horrible, Shoe, Family Circus etc. Well Garfield has about 1 strip a year that makes me laugh, about the only strip I laugh fairly consistantly at is Dilbert.

Some times I wonder what the point of the Comics page is, since 99% of the overal content is not funny. I'll get more laughs out of a weeks worth of PVP Online or Real life Comics than an entire years worth of the 30-40 comics in the local paper. Heck I get more amusement out of the "find the 6 differences" in Slylock Fox than any thing else in there.

Bunion

--------------------
You get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun then you do with a kind word alone.

Posts: 44 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
How strange. Neither RFC3986, nor its predecessors, RFC2396 or RFC1738, which describe the syntax for URLs, seem to think parentheses are a problem.

It's not strange because it's not parsed as HTML. It's UBB.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:

It's not strange because it's not parsed as HTML. It's UBB.
Yes and no. It's certainly converted to HTML (or at least HTML-flavored tag soup) before your browser gets it, because your browser doesn't know anything about UBB code. And it doesn't like it even if you post it directly in HTML.

The message board software seems to flagging the input because it believes that parentheses in URLs are either not allowed or dangerous, but I don't think either applies. Maybe I'll check on one the web authoring usenet groups to see if anybody else knows anything.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
B.C. started out well, but, like so many others, grew stale.

The very first B.C. collection has an introduction by Al Capp ("L'il Abner") in which Capp admits that he is old and stale, and praises Hart for being young and fresh.

The wheel has turned. It's time for Hart to write an introduction for someone.

However...let me give Hart accolades for something he deserves: about five years ago, he had a sequence where Peter set forth on a raft in a storm. He had odd adventures, and, in fact, must have come unfixed in time, for he saw what was identified as a block of styrofoam. (!) The sequence ran for about a year; it was the single most cohesive bit of sustained story-telling he'd ever tried, and, frankly, it was excellent. If they released that in a collection, I'd buy it immediately. (And I wrote to him to tell him so.)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Silas re the staleness. (Don't get me started on the past five years of "Garfield!")

Hart still occasionally comes up with some well-executed material, though -- a few years back, he did a Sunday strip for Easter that condensed the Easter story remarkably into a few panels, with no text other than the voice of (presumably) God proclaiming, "That's my boy!" in the final panel. Did it belong on a newspaper comics page? That's debatable. However, it was impressive as a piece of graphic narrative and a darn sight better than any Chick tract or "Faithmouse" (that hurts just to type it!) crap. Even so, I too frequently wish he would knock off the proselytizing and make with the funny.

ETA: I was just Googling around to see if I could find the strip in question -- I couldn't, but after seeing some other strips I thought I should make it clear that I'm NOT referring to the infamous Easter strip with the menorah turning into a cross.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
I agree with Silas re the staleness. (Don't get me started on the past five years of "Garfield!")

Hart still occasionally comes up with some well-executed material, though -- a few years back, he did a Sunday strip for Easter that condensed the Easter story remarkably into a few panels, with no text other than the voice of (presumably) God proclaiming, "That's my boy!" in the final panel. Did it belong on a newspaper comics page? That's debatable. However, it was impressive as a piece of graphic narrative and a darn sight better than any Chick tract or "Faithmouse" (that hurts just to type it!) crap. Even so, I too frequently wish he would knock off the proselytizing and make with the funny.

ETA: I was just Googling around to see if I could find the strip in question -- I couldn't, but after seeing some other strips I thought I should make it clear that I'm NOT referring to the infamous Easter strip with the menorah turning into a cross.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer comics page has an "unoffical" archive of many strips. For example, the url for last Sunday's B.C. is:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/bc.asp?date=04092006

You'll notice the date is at the end of the url in the format mmddyyyy. If you "hack" the url by putting in a different date, you will find they actually keep a few years of strips around, more or less, depending on the strip. The strip for April 15, 2001, for example, is the infamous "menorah" strip you referenced:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/bc.asp?date=04152001

That's the earliest Easter Sunday B.C. strip I could find on their archive. I didn't find one like you descibed, however, but I suppose you could double check to make sure.

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... (Don't get me started on the past five years of "Garfield!")

Pfft! Marmaduke makes Garfield seem like Noel Coward.

Bad "can't let a comics thread go by without taking a potshot at Marmaduke" Ronald

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ronald:
quote:
... (Don't get me started on the past five years of "Garfield!")

Pfft! Marmaduke makes Garfield seem like Noel Coward.

Not even when Marmaduke caught teh gay?

Nick

--------------------

Announcement here

Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Total hijack, but the conversation reminded my of my favorite Easter comic. For background, that character is mentally stuck in the 80s and goes through periods where all her dialogue is song lyrics.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get that Palm Sunday strip. Jesus didn't tell his followers to stop yelling "Hosanna!" so presumably the stones didn't cry out. But the stone in the panel does. Is Hart suggesting Christians are being "silenced," or did he just need a stone to yell "Hosanna?"
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GS Rabbit
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GS Rabbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always assumed that the name of the comic (and the main character) not only placed the strip chronologically back in time, but was supposed to give it a "Christian" tone.

Not that that explains the anachronistic pCm political references.

ETA: Just read the Wikipedia article, and learned that the author lives in a Broome County. So who knows.

Posts: 49 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh.

I've always liked the BC strips I have at home (two books "inherited" (meaning taken away) from my parents' place). But they were old, no obvious religious references. Those (like the Science Fiction one above) are just plain flat, no depth, stale punning. Too bad [Frown] Actually extremely annoying.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwin Bagley
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Elwin Bagley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elwin Bagley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=20060403

I getit. This bizarre cartoon was dreamed up by a person who really understands the idea of Jesus Christ.

Jesus and other prophets said:
"I am alpaha and omega. Before Abraham I was."

Meaning that the spirit of Jesus, and all humanity is eternal. The power of creation is etarnal, thus all humans were never really born and will never really die.

--------------------
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Elwin Bagley

Posts: 2 | From: Jasper, GA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages