snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » How do these people survive? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How do these people survive?
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muskrat Monroe:
Still, I'd rather be be called sir again than have a repeat of the guy who, as I was ringing up his cantaloupe, winked and said "You sure have nice melons." [Eek!]

I make jokes like that with my wife; I would never consider that comment with a clerk I do not know.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Muskrat Monroe:
quote:
Originally posted by Little Red Cervette:
I've been referred to as "sir" twice by store clerks.

Heh. I've been refered to as "sir" twice by my customers- both were older men, not quite elderly but certainly retirement age.
I was recently referred to by a complete stranger as a "F*cking fag" and berated for wearing a pink (IMO reddish brown) jacket, because only women and "fags" wear pink. I don't think he ever realised that I fit better into the first category of authorised pink-wearers than into the second.
I've had a couple of run-ins with mistaken gender or age. Once the police broke up a college party I was at and checked IDs. He was pulling people out of the crowd saying "him, him, her, him, etc..." He pointed to me and said "her". This I'll let slide because it was dark, I was sitting down and my hair was very long (for a guy) at the time.

The one I won't let slide was when I was about 14 and I received an invitation to participate in a teen beauty pagent. I have no idea why they thought I was a girl. I have no sisters nor do I cross-dress. I didn't even have long hair at the time. My brother is relentless about teasing me with this, even to this day.

My latest annoyance is that I keep receiving crap from AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) which is an organization for people over fifty. I'll spare you from having to check my profile and tell you that I'm 28. I guess they're trying to get us while we're young.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're not exactly stupid customer stories, but they may fit under the "How Do These People Live?" category.

My father was once driving behind a woman in a very beat-up car. She stopped suddenly for some reason, and the drive shaft fell off her car, making a loud noise. (I assume the u-joint broke, and it came detached from the differential.) She got out to see what happened, saw the shaft, picked it up, put it in the trunk, then got in her car and started it and tried to drive off.

Last winter, I went to a large conferenced over Hanukkah on Judaism. It started on Dec. 23, and lasted until the 30th. When I was boarding my dogs, one of the vet employees asked where I was going, and I explained it was a conference on Judaism, and the sponsers got a great deal on the hotel, because apparently hotels are chronically underbooked at Christmas. She asked me a couple of questions about the conference, and I answered, explaining that more than a thousand Jews from around the world would be there. At this point, one of the other employees looked at me and said "You mean, they're away from their families at Christmas?"

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages