snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » How do these people survive? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How do these people survive?
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure if this story fits, but...

I work with a government agency that is just paranoid about security. One of the things I need to do my job is called a SecureToken. It helps me get into our computers when I am away from the office. To get the token, I need to fill out a form on my computer at the agency web site. However, it was not working right. So I call the help desk, and they come up with the solution right away:

To get to the token form, I have to disable any popup blockers and turn off my virus protection.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ligeia:
quote:
Originally posted by unbroken:
To date I've tried to get into the library using my photocopying card, my ATM card and my tram card, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I try to get in with my credit card.

Over the years, I've discovered that: my house keys won't start the car, the car keys won't get me into work, and the keys to Taco Bell's front door won't open my front door.
And I've realized that the remote to our car doesn't open the front door to the house.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
I have had co-workers accuse me of making up the words "scofflaw," "gaslighting*," and, my personal favorite, "sullen."

*In the sense of trying to drive someone insane, as in the film Gaslight.

I'm amazed at the number of people to whom I have to explain the phrase, "preaching to the choir."

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was headed to a voice lesson one day and had some time to kill, so I decided to go to McDonalds and get some lunch. I placed my order at the drive through, and the voice through the speaker inquired "Is this for here or to go?" I sat there for a moment, not saying anything, waiting for her to realize her mistake. Then I said "It'll be to go", at which point she replied "Okay, please drive to the next window."

To this day, I wish I'd had the prescence of mind to say "It's for here.", just to see what would have ensued.

To the employee's credit, when I drove up to the window, she had a very sheepish look on her face...I just wondered why it had taken her even that long to realize her mistake.

Edited because drive thoughs do not exist.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seanette:
Pulled card out of wallet, didn't quite get it to reader before the cashier could not longer suppress a giggle. I was attempting to pay for my transaction with my library card, which is filed next to my debit card in my wallet. [Big Grin]

Last September the library in my college installed card-reading devices (previously they'd employed someone to sit there all day and look at people's student cards as they were going in). To date I've tried to get into the library using my photocopying card, my ATM card and my tram card, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I try to get in with my credit card.
And in today's "nice move there, ding-dong" category, while at the library, I tried to hand the librarian my debit card to check out some books. (Yes, I am able to laugh at myself for these things. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The icon is for me.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Pulled card out of wallet, didn't quite get it to reader before the cashier could not longer suppress a giggle. I was attempting to pay for my transaction with my library card, which is filed next to my debit card in my wallet. [Big Grin]

Last September the library in my college installed card-reading devices (previously they'd employed someone to sit there all day and look at people's student cards as they were going in). To date I've tried to get into the library using my photocopying card, my ATM card and my tram card, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I try to get in with my credit card.
And in today's "nice move there, ding-dong" category, while at the library, I tried to hand the librarian my debit card to check out some books. (Yes, I am able to laugh at myself for these things. [Big Grin] )
The number of times that I have tried to check out books with my military ID. *sigh* You know you do it too much when the pages (what I was called when working at the lib) correct you before you even get your wallet open. Talk about reflex.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elphaba- Fabala- Elphie- Fae:
I was headed to a voice lesson one day and had some time to kill, so I decided to go to McDonalds and get some lunch. I placed my order at the drive through, and the voice through the speaker inquired "Is this for here or to go?" I sat there for a moment, not saying anything, waiting for her to realize her mistake. Then I said "It'll be to go", at which point she replied "Okay, please drive to the next window."

To this day, I wish I'd had the prescence of mind to say "It's for here.", just to see what would have ensued.

To the employee's credit, when I drove up to the window, she had a very sheepish look on her face...I just wondered why it had taken her even that long to realize her mistake.

To her defense, she may have switched postions for the day and once you have a method of serving in your mind it sticks [Razz]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or she may have been repeating the same lines over and over for 7 hours or so, and decided to say something stupid and see if you'd notice, just for kicks.

I used to say the stupidest things through the headset when I worked at McD's. My favorite was "Welcome to Burger King, how may I help you?" Not a single person ever appeared to notice. I would also cheerfully with my customers a happy stay in Texas (the McD's was in Missouri). People typically just want to get their food and go, and they don't really pay attention to what the employee says.

So maybe the drive-thru girl was just trying to make a crappy job a little less boring by messing with you a bit.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend used to say "don't drink and drive" when handing drinks out [lol]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Did you think to say "swimming pool" at any point? If she didn't understand something you said, then repeating it doesn't necessarily help.

You know, I didn't think to say swimming pool. I did, however, spend time I didn't mention above explaining where the other rooms were, where the pool and posada rooms were in relation the the main lobby building, where the other rooms were. She seemed to understand all of that. She just couldn't seem to understand that our smallest room type is the posada room, and that they are in the buildings which are located around our main pool.

If she had had an accent, I would have guessed something was lost in translation but I was left kind of baffled.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those "dividers" that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the "divider", looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it. Not finding the bar code she said to me, "Do you know how much this is?" I said to her "I've changed my mind, I don't think I'll buy that today." She said "OK," and I paid her for the things and left. She had no clue to what had just happened.
Although still stupid, it is not completely far fetched. I have seen stores where there was a bar code on those dividers, and that barcode basically told the cash register to sum it all up and print out the reciept. Some kind of "shortcut", instead of having to go through the hard work of pushing a button.
Whenever I hear about this type of "shortcut," and given my experience in customer-service-type jobs post-military and pre-career, I'm always fairly sure that shortcuts like these are the product of a lengthy and costly time-motion study. When I worked in the service industry we often had suits coming around and doing studies on how we could be more time efficient with our transactions and this magical bar-code divider sounds like something we would have gotten after a study. Most likely this divider is not to keep someone from the "hard work of pushing a button", but rather to shave an average of 2.5 or 3 seconds off the customer's transaction.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And on the flip side, I can't count the number of customers who, when coming through the drive-through of the Dairy Queen I worked at in high school, would tell me they wanted their food "to go." Um, yes, I'm glad we're on the same page — if you eat it "here" in the drive-through, the other customers behind you tend to become agitated. (To be fair, when they told us that, we took it to mean they wanted their ice cream with lids in sacks, as opposed to us just handing each item to them through the window.)

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
F minor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for F minor   E-mail F minor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Temple:
quote:
I have had co-workers accuse me of making up the words "scofflaw," "gaslighting*," and, my personal favorite, "sullen."

I'm amazed at the number of people to whom I have to explain the phrase, "preaching to the choir."
A friend of mine once complained about me using obscure words. What word had brought this on? "Spoof".

When I asked what I should have said, he suggested "funny".

Posts: 124 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 602 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car. "Do you need some help?" I asked. She replied, "I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?" "Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an Ala rm, too?" I asked. "No, just this remote thingy," she answered, handing it and the car keys to me. As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied, "Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk."

The alarm on my car goes off if I use the key instead of the remote to unlock the door. Not that I wouldn't use the key if it were the only way to get into my car of course.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fencer
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fencer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by F minor:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Temple:
quote:

A friend of mine once complained about me using obscure words. What word had brought this on? "Spoof".

When I asked what I should have said, he suggested "funny".

One of the gals at work commented that she was thinking of moving to Texas - she heard that "Armadillo" was nice. This is the same gal who was amazed that I knew so much about Passover "because you are Christian and Passover is Jewish". She was appalled when I told her that Christianity and Judaism have a common history, and that GASP - Jesus was Jewish.
Posts: 24 | From: Ferndale, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
When I worked in the service industry we often had suits coming around and doing studies on how we could be more time efficient with our transactions and this magical bar-code divider sounds like something we would have gotten after a study. Most likely this divider is not to keep someone from the "hard work of pushing a button", but rather to shave an average of 2.5 or 3 seconds off the customer's transaction.

I do some of that sort of thing in my work, and I'd agree -- not necessarily that it was the right solution, but about the probable source of it. Companies spend a lot of time trying to simplify processes and make transactions as efficient as possible -- although it doesn't always show in the results. [Wink]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personal story:

I had to make an interview, and the source asked me to fax a few questions (no email, no, he wanted them on paper). It's a soft story, so I say "no problem" and type my questions on Word; afterwards, I print two copies and walk to my desk. As I put down one of the printed pages, my boss looks at me.

Boss: Why did you make two copies?
Me: Because I'm going to fax one, and I want to keep one on file.
Boss: *glares*
Me: *penny drops*

I don't think I helped my chances for a promotion there.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Boss: Why did you make two copies?
Me: Because I'm going to fax one, and I want to keep one on file.
Boss: *glares*
Me: *penny drops*

Hey, don't ruin my favourite joke when using the fax (or someone else is using it):

*Look at the paper going into the fax*
*Look at the paper going out of the fax*
Say "It didn't work, it came back."

Some jokes never get old.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought a pair of earings and noticed when I got home there was a crack in the back of one of the stones. I took them back but the only remaining pair like them also had one with a crack in it. The ensuing conversation went as follows:

Girl: I'm sorry, both pairs are cracked. I'll have to refund you.

Me: But only one from each. Can I switch them so one pair has two good earings?

Girl: No, no I have to damage out both. But don't worry, you'll get your money back.

Me: But why don't you just switch them? Then you can just damage out one pair and keep the money for the other.

Girl: But they're both broken.

Me: Not if you switch one.

Girl: (long, suspicious pause)...I don't know....

Me: Look, I'm not trying to rip you off here. This way you get money for at least one pair. Otherwise you lose everything.

Girl: (reluctantly) Weeeell, Ok, I guess...

Me: Thank you! (quickly switches earings before she changes her mind)

Girl: (as I'm leaving) You know, this cracks are on the back, so I think I'll just go ahead and put this pair back out...

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 302 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My own moment:

I was walking back to my car after work. I pulled my keys out of my left pocket and used the remote to unlock the doors.

When I got closer, I reached on my pants pocket to take out my keys. *gasp* They weren't there! I checked my jacket pocket, nope. I moved my keys from my right hand to my left hand and searched my right pocket, not there either! I'm starting to panic now.

Then I realize what I just did. [fish]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gift-wrapped smittykins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gift-wrapped smittykins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I actually did that once during my tenure at Burger King(1991-2000). I bounced around from front cash to drive-thru quite frequently(often going back and forth when we were understaffed), and once I innocently asked that question. She simply replied "to go"; and when I apologized to her at the window, she said, "No problem. I'm sure you must be frazzled." [Smile]

My latest "duh" moment: A few nights ago, at bedtime, I went to put my cordless phone back on its base to charge for the night, only to discover it wasn't the phone. It was the cable remote. [fish]

--------------------
"We're all entitled to a few eccentricities, provided they don't harm anyone, break the law, or cause a public nuisance"--James Qwilleran, The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell(Lillian Jackson Braun)
Member AAMAH

Posts: 352 | From: Seneca Falls, NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Buchet:
A teacher wrote that he'd marked a student's history essay. When handing it back, he remarked:

"By the way, traditionally, we don't write about kings with an Arabic numeral after their names, but a Roman numeral. Henry VIII, not Henry 8."

"I know," the student replied, "but my keyboard doesn't DO Roman numerals."

OMG! I did the same thing not 3 months ago! i'm surprised that I made it through my first year of college if I couldn't even realize to use the V and the I to do them. [dunce]

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another blonde moment mois has done.

I was in a hurry to get on the road so I won't be late for my trig class. So I grab what I thought was a bottle of water and shove it into my bag. I drive all the way to school and don't think about it- until I go to take my bag out of the car. What I thought was a bottle of water was really the TV remote!!! [dunce]

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turbo Snail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, since we're all telling on ourselves. My wife and I were going out of town and she said, "make sure you grab the phone". Of course she meant the cell phone. We drove off and it finally dawned on me that the little spot I usually stick the cell was not going to hold the cordless from the house land line..... I guess if we stayed within 1500 feet of the house, I wouldn't look so stu.... ah, driving in circles, nope, still stupid!

--------------------
Has anyone seen my other shoe?

Posts: 40 | From: Richmond, Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Isaac
Happy Holly Days

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Isaac         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
When I worked in a deli lo these many years ago, the clear plastic containers we used for salads were 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound and pound. We never called them pint or quart.

When I worked in a deli, the containers were pints and half-pints, but we weighed each purchase on a scale and printed the price out of it based on the weight, and each salad was a different weight. A pound of potato salad always fit into a pint container, as did most of the other salads, but some of the lighter salads had to fit into a quart container to make a pound, and some particularly heavy salads had to fit into a half-pint container to make a pound.

--------------------
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.

Posts: 1600 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a customer call a few month ago.
She said that she had problems with her TV couldn't receive and programs. If we had any trouble in her district.
Told her that we have none but that I would have a look at it.
What she was seeing on the screen.
Nothing.
So I was checking the cable with her.
Still nothing.
That was the moment when she told me that...there wasn't any light on the TV at all.
Was it switched on.
Silence. And that was the moment when she relised that she had no power in her flat.

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FIL and I were working on my car one year, just doing some routine maintenance under the hood, cleaning battery terminals, checking fluid levels, etc. At some point he leans his hand on one of the headlight casings and immediately there's a "snap" as the casing breaks under his weight. Looking puzzled, he comes over to the other headlight and says "who would think that a little bit of weight would break------" and SNAP it goes!

I have two minivans, one recent and one old. The 2004 model has the remote unlock keyring while the 1994 has nothing of the sort. I can't say how mnay times I've stood there pointing and pushing waiting to hear the locks open on the 1994 model. It's at least once a week.

A few from retail days:

When working at Radio Shack, I once had a customer who was genuinely confused as to why we displayed typewriters together was televisions at such high cost. He was speaking of computers. This was in 1998, so computers were nothing new, but he had honestly never seen one before.

I probably got about a customer a month who wanted to return a battery-operated device because it was "defective out of the box" apparently unaware that they would need to put batteries in in order for it to work. A lot of times offering to put batteries in and demonstrate that the device was in working order was not sufficient to save the sale.

I've also had customers complain about the range of cordless phones. Further inquiry would often reveal expectations of being able to use a 900MHz cordless phone across town, as if it were a cellular phone.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ed Hopkins

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Hopkins   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a few tales of supermarket check-out woes.

I hate the self-check lane. Once I tried to scan the discount card and received "Unknown item. Please see a store associate for price." I was scanning the card of another store. Before the associate got there, I switched to another lane and started over.

Once I had with me some purchases from another store. I set them down in order to bag my groceries. The system beeped and said, "Unknown items in bagging area. Please purchase all items before bagging." Before the associate got there, I switched to another lane and started over.

The staffed lanes aren't much better. A checker greeted me with "Good morning, ma'am." (I am a male with a full beard.) She immediately apologized and claimed that most shoppers are women. She rung up my items and told me the total. I handed her a twenty at which time she asked, "Debit or credit?" She didn't catch this one herself so I responded, "Well, it's cash, so ... debit maybe?"

At a vitamin shop a display claimed "50% off all items" I grabbed some protein bars and proceeded to the check-out. I happened to notice that she rung up only a 30% discount. "The sign says 50%." I noted. She explained that these bars had already been reduced 20% so she was taking off the remaining 30%. By way of proof she peeled off the sticker to reveal the prior price. I was torn between trying to explain that when you offer a 50% discount, it has to be taken off the price displayed not the secret hidden price, or that when you take off 20% and then 30% off the new price, it's only 44% off the original price not 50%. Both tasks seemed too difficult to attempt for the money I stood to gain.

Posts: 38 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While at my city's fireworks display on the 4th of July, my wife, son and I struck up a conversation with a nice woman on the next blanket over. After chitchat about the weather and the neighborhood, the conversation turned to fireworks.

Her : "They don't really use fireworks in other countries, do they?"
Me : "Well they were invented in China over a thousand years ago, so I assume at some point they got around to using them."

The mind reels...

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hopkins:

I hate the self-check lane. Once I tried to scan the discount card and received "Unknown item. Please see a store associate for price." I was scanning the card of another store. Before the associate got there, I switched to another lane and started over.

Once I had with me some purchases from another store. I set them down in order to bag my groceries. The system beeped and said, "Unknown items in bagging area. Please purchase all items before bagging." Before the associate got there, I switched to another lane and started over.

But the self-check lane isn't stupid -- it's a machine. If it sees a bar code it doesn't recognize, what other message would you expect to get besides "Unknown Item"? That's what the wrong store card is to the machine. Or was that a story about you doing something dumb? [Wink]

As for the "unknown items in bagging area," you know that works off a scale, right?

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ed Hopkins

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Hopkins   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

But the self-check lane isn't stupid -- it's a machine. If it sees a bar code it doesn't recognize, what other message would you expect to get besides "Unknown Item"? That's what the wrong store card is to the machine. Or was that a story about you doing something dumb? [Wink]

As for the "unknown items in bagging area," you know that works off a scale, right?

Yes, I was the stupid one in those stories, not the machines. But I do think they are more trouble than they are worth. In a normal lane, what I did would not have brought the entire transaction to a permanent halt. And, in a sense, the machine is stupid because it jumped to the wrong conclusion in both cases.
Posts: 38 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
And, in a sense, the machine is stupid because it jumped to the wrong conclusion in both cases.

It didn't jump to any conclusion, it followed its programming, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

I don't like self-checkout lanes either, except for very simple transactions. If I have any bulk foods, bakery items, produce, etc., I won't use them.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't like self-checkout lanes either, except for very simple transactions. If I have any bulk foods, bakery items, produce, etc., I won't use them.

Geez, it seems like the only people who use the self-checkout lanes are me and people who have no idea how to use the technology.

Really, if self-checkout adds about 35 minutes to checkout, you may want to consider using a conventional cashier.

[/rant mode]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a good'n today:

Before running some errands I made the husband a sandwich and got out a bottle of water to take with me.I had the mustard sitting right next to my water. Guess which one made it into my purse? I didn't realize it until I was already on the road.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fencer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fencer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Hopkins:
[qb] I have a few tales of supermarket check-out woes.

The staffed lanes aren't much better. A checker greeted me with "Good morning, ma'am." (I am a male with a full beard.) She immediately apologized and claimed that most shoppers are women. She rung up my items and told me the total. I handed her a twenty at which time she asked, "Debit or credit?" She didn't catch this one herself so I responded, "Well, it's cash, so ... debit maybe?"

In the cashiers defense after several Ma'ms in a row it's easy to get stuck on auto-pilot. I'ts happened to me and I generally apologize and say that I am "gender dyslexic". Also, the Debit or Credit thing probably is automatic - She might have been speaking out of habit and not realized what she had said.

Posts: 24 | From: Ferndale, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages