snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » How do these people survive? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How do these people survive?
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
On the moon a pint would be a pint even though the weight has changed...Yeah I'm confused.

ETA: OK
So a pint of water =16oz weighs 1Lb
if you made a pint of lead it should weigh 1Lb
if you made a pint of feathers you would add enough to make 1 Lb even though the amount of each object would differ...

ETA2: for example a pint (lb) of m&ms would differ in amount than a pint of snickers because snickers are bigger blocks and m&ms are tiny...therefore needing more in amount to reach the 1Lb

Pint and (lb) are not interchangeable. (lb) is short for pound. Also, you may be confused because we have volume ounces, 16 of which make a pint, and weight ounces, 16 of which make a pound.

Volume is the amount of space an item takes up. Weight is how heavy it is, or how hard gravity is pulling on it. Mass is something slightly different but I can't recall enough of physics class to explain it.

edited because I confused mass and weight.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bunion:
Unfortunately my TiVo died this last weekend so I called their tech support. The first guy I talked to was really good and told me that my TiVo was history and that it would cost around $100 to exchange my old one out for a refurbished one, but they had a deal where I could get a brand new one for $69. So I told him I may as well do that and he transfered me to the accounting people so I could cancel my current TiVo account since I would have to start a new one with a new TiVo.

So I get on the phone with this new guy and tell him I just needed to cancel my account since my TiVo died. He then goes on to tell me that he can get me a good price on a refurbished one, so I ask him how much and he puts me on hold. He comes back and says that he can get me the refurbished one for only $59. I explain to him that I can buy a brand new TiVo for only $69 and not have to worry about sending my old one in. He says hold on a sec let me talk to my supervisor and puts me on hold again. He comes back on all excited saying that he can get me the refurbished one for only $49 now. I tell him that I fail to see how that is a good deal when I can get the new one for $69. He then tells me that the $49 is a really good price, I just tell him to cancel my account. He sounded totally dejected at that point when I finally ended the call.

Bunion

How did any of the people in this story act stupidly? I would think that $20 less than the brand new price and not having to cancel and restart your account would be a great deal for a non-broken Tivo.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am probably thinking of the volume oz
So much for that website [Roll Eyes]
I knew I should have taken Physics (easy) instead of AP BIO which I failed for family reasons [Mad]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
Mass is something slightly different but I can't recall enough of physics class to explain it.

Mass quantifies the amount of stuff (matter) an object contains and is equal to the measure of the resistance of said object to changes in its speed and direction. Or something. There are other definitions as well, I think, that relate to gravity and such, but the ol' memory ain't what it used to be.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by WonkoTheSane:
quote:
Mass is something slightly different but I can't recall enough of physics class to explain it.

Mass quantifies the amount of stuff (matter) an object contains and is equal to the measure of the resistance of said object to changes in its speed and direction. Or something. There are other definitions as well, I think, that relate to gravity and such, but the ol' memory ain't what it used to be.

Wonko

Thank you!

--------------------
Officially Heartless

landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since it seems like we've gone totally off topic now, may I ask a silly question? Is there a word that is the opposite of "dense"? Kind of like "dilute," but for solids.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we've all been talking about deli salads,.....

Every deli I've been in shows the prices as pounds (or at least half-pounds). Also, every deli I have ever been in has pint / quart containers. Also, every deli I have ever been in, if you ask for a pound of salad, takes the pint container, and fills it most of the way up, weighs it, and says "It's a little bit over. Is that OK?"

We, the consumers, have gotten used to asking for a pound and the worker giving us a pint, that we don't think about mass vs. volume. I don't think most deli workers even think about it actually being a pint, they just know that the litte one is about a pound and the big one is about two pounds. Or, maybe they are taught that the little one is a pint and that a pint is about a pound and this brain cell doner was drifting during that part of training.

Oh, and as a kid I learned the rhyme "A pint's a pound the world around" as a way to remember that a pint has 16 ounces and a pound has 16 ounces, and that for liquids (milk, water) in cooking it's the same.

So, there. None of you is crazy. It's reality that's nfbsked up.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and this site has as antonyms for dense:[quote]Antonyms of adj dense

5 senses of dense

Sense 1
dense, heavy, impenetrable

INDIRECT (VIA thick) -> thin

Sense 2
compact, dense, thick

INDIRECT (VIA concentrated) -> distributed

Sense 3
dense, thick

INDIRECT (VIA impenetrable) -> penetrable

Sense 4
dense

INDIRECT (VIA heavy) -> light

Sense 5
dense, dim, dull, dumb, obtuse, slow

INDIRECT (VIA stupid) -> smart[/url]So, dense as in a thick liquid, would either be "thin" or "distributed".

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bunion
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bunion:
Unfortunately my TiVo died this last weekend so I called their tech support. The first guy I talked to was really good and told me that my TiVo was history and that it would cost around $100 to exchange my old one out for a refurbished one, but they had a deal where I could get a brand new one for $69. So I told him I may as well do that and he transfered me to the accounting people so I could cancel my current TiVo account since I would have to start a new one with a new TiVo.

So I get on the phone with this new guy and tell him I just needed to cancel my account since my TiVo died. He then goes on to tell me that he can get me a good price on a refurbished one, so I ask him how much and he puts me on hold. He comes back and says that he can get me the refurbished one for only $59. I explain to him that I can buy a brand new TiVo for only $69 and not have to worry about sending my old one in. He says hold on a sec let me talk to my supervisor and puts me on hold again. He comes back on all excited saying that he can get me the refurbished one for only $49 now. I tell him that I fail to see how that is a good deal when I can get the new one for $69. He then tells me that the $49 is a really good price, I just tell him to cancel my account. He sounded totally dejected at that point when I finally ended the call.

Bunion

How did any of the people in this story act stupidly? I would think that $20 less than the brand new price and not having to cancel and restart your account would be a great deal for a non-broken Tivo.
I was paying a monthly fee for my original TiVo, so I wasn't going to save anything. Had I paid the lifetime fee for it, yes it would have been better. But since I was still going to have to pay a monthly fee no matter what, why should I pay to send my broken TiVo in to get a used one when a new one was only $10 more? Not to mention the several weeks it would have taken to get the exchange done, and it would have definitely cost me more than $10 to mail the broken TiVo back.

Bunion

--------------------
You get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun then you do with a kind word alone.

Posts: 44 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A far number of years ago, a friend of mine who was a Navy electronics technician bought a large, and quite expensive, stereo system. He hooked all the components up, put a tape into the tape player, pressed "play," but there was no sound coming out of the speakers. He checked all of his connections, including the one going into the electrical outlet, and everything looked right. He was considering getting his multimeter out to measure power in and out, when his 12 year old daughter asked "Shouldn't that button marked 'power' be pushed in?"

It helps if the ON/OFF switch is in the ON position.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NobbyNobbs
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobbyNobbs   E-mail NobbyNobbs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squishy0405:
[qb] Volume is the amount of space an item takes up. Weight is how heavy it is, or how hard gravity is pulling on it. Mass is something slightly different but I can't recall enough of physics class to explain it.

Stand aside, everyone, I'm a qualified physics teacher! Everything's going to be just fine....

Volume: the amount of physical space somehting takes up.
Weight: a measure of the force of gravity on something
Mass: technically, a measure of the amount of inertia an object has. More easily understood as the amount of matter or "stuff" in something.

--------------------
Back in the days before electricity, we were forced to watch TV by candlelight.

Posts: 229 | From: Paoli, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw on a site that mass is also a measurement of inertia if that helps anyone...

Now looking through I was spanked by Nobby...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
I've never heard of the pint's a pound thing before. I'm pretty sure my deli actully charges by weight. When the pre-package items, like spinach dip, the prices of several identical containers are slightly different due to the weight difference.

For all of you who have never heard this little ditty

quote:
There is an old cooking phrase which addresses the weight of water and other similar liquids (and in some cases, solids) used in the preparation of foods: "A pint's a pound the whole world 'round".

Here's the link .

In short, a pint of water weighs 1.04375 pounds (US) and, therefore, in the kitchen "a pint's a pound".

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
Since it seems like we've gone totally off topic now, may I ask a silly question? Is there a word that is the opposite of "dense"? Kind of like "dilute," but for solids.

Technically, "dilute" is not the opposite of "dense." Dilute is the opposite of "concentrated."

Amount of X mixed in Y is concentration, and can be concentrated or dilute.

Amount of X per unit volume is density. Usually called high-density or low-density. Because of how the world works, you really can't control density of materials very well. You can bump an order of magnitude or two in either direction by controlling structure (aerogels) or using very heavy atoms (lead, tungsten, depleted uranium).

So: not much vocabulary has developed to describe density, just because we don't see that much a difference in density for materials.

For concentration, you can have stuff that's pure, or concentrated, or dilute, or trace, and so forth.

And you'd use "dilute" for solids too. Or "disperse." If you have a powder of Interesting Metal that you want to work with, and you need so many cubic centimeters of it, you can make a little bit go a longer way by mixing it with a Boring Powder That Does Nothing, (aka diluent) to spread it out.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
A pint of deli salad is the same as a pound of deli salad, however.

It's probably close, because it's mostly water. But it's only a rough estimate. She was right; they're not the same thing.

quote:
ETA: In the US, anyhow. And I'm not sure why, because it seems to me that 16 volumetric ounces of coleslaw would not weigh the same as 16 volumetric ounces of potato salad or kidney bean salad or pasta salad.
A pint of water weights about a pound. (A US pint of tapwater, room temperature, is around 1.05 lb.) Anything with the same density of water will have this same relationship. Foods which consist almost entirely of water, in such a way that they have nearly the same density of water, will also weigh about one pound per pint.

This doesn't work with dry foods, or alcohol, or wet foods which have things in them that change the density of the water.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
Since we've all been talking about deli salads,.....

Every deli I've been in shows the prices as pounds (or at least half-pounds). Also, every deli I have ever been in has pint / quart containers.

When I worked in a deli lo these many years ago, the clear plastic containers we used for salads were 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound and pound. We never called them pint or quart.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about the pint/pound thing for cooking anyway. Honestly, I've never seen a recipe call for water by the pounds. And anything that is called for in pounds (sugar, flour, bannas as examples) doesn't fall into the pound = pint rule anyway.

This discussion seems to prove that not everyone understands that a pint = pound. I'm having a hard time understanding why the person in the OP didn't just say, "I'd like a pint".

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked up "pint" in the dictionary and it specifies 16 ounces (for U.S. applications). It also states "a container with a pint capacity" and "the amount of a substance that can be held in such a container."

So, wouldn't a pint of, oh, I don't know, let's say mercury (atomic weight 200.59) or a pint of helium (atomic weight 4.0026) still both be 16 ounces, but the pint of mercury would fit into a much smaller container because it's heavier?

In other words, a pint of either would weigh 16 ounces, but one would have more volume than the other and therefore, require a larger container.

I'm just rambling. Does that make any sense?

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
robbie, that should have said 16 fluid (or fl) ounces. A pint equals 16 fluid ounces. A pound equals 16 weigh (or avoirdupois) ounces.

So a pint of something is the same as a 1/2 quart of something. A pint of mercury would be 16 fluid ounces of mercury and weigh 227 ounces. A pint of helium would be 16 fluid ounces of helium and weigh 0.0029 ounces. A pint of anything always takes up the same amount of room. But it will be heavier or lighter depending on what it is a pint of.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In submarines, seawater is used as internal ballast. Since ballast is a weight, American submarines measure the water in pounds. The internal ballast tanks, however, are considered as volume in cubic feet. So conversion of weight to volume is a consideration. The weight of seawater depends on a number of variables, including temperature, salinity, and depth, thus the pressure. Seawater, at the surface, on average weighs 64.1 lbs per cubic foot or 1027 kg/m³.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we are talking conversions:

What do you call the rate at which a vehicle consumes gas (petrol) in a country that uses metric?

It can't be mpg... it can't be mileage.. can it?

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kilometers per litre. Fuel consumption.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Litres per 100 kilometres

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, in Sweden, litres per mil (a Swedish mil is 10 km).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by me, no really:
Litres per 100 kilometres

That's the same in Germany (well actually it's "Liter pro 100 Kilometer", of course).

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NobbyNobbs
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobbyNobbs   E-mail NobbyNobbs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't liters per kilometer the inverse? I mean, miles per gallon is distance per unit volume. Liters per kilometer is volume per unit distance.

Both measurements are helpful, but quite different.

--------------------

Posts: 229 | From: Paoli, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know - it totally confuses me! Try converting gas prices in canada some time.

prices in Canadian Dollars, dispensed in liters, and used over kilomerters, in my car that shows English (isn't that funny) miles. We worked out a formula so we could figure out gas prices, but we could never figure out mileage/consumption.

the liters per 100 km makes sense - finally. But I want to know Km/ltr.

Ganz- is it really km/ltr in japan?

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course it is, Franny. Every civilized country in the world uses the metric system. [Smile] What's so difficult about it? It's the same as miles per gallon except that the miles are shorter and the gallons are smaller. (And it's easy to convert to barbaric measures, such as liters per 100 km, but not to primitive measures such as leagues per quart.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shouldn't that be leagues per hogshead?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moeko'sOwl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moeko'sOwl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or furlongs per fortnight?

--------------------
We are all equal, be it before the eyes of God, or for our own sake. We are all worthy of the same fundamental rights, freedoms, and, protections. Mindless hatred is unjustifiable. -Squoval

Posts: 320 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
Of course it is, Franny. Every civilized country in the world uses the metric system. [Smile] What's so difficult about it? It's the same as miles per gallon except that the miles are shorter and the gallons are smaller. (And it's easy to convert to barbaric measures, such as liters per 100 km, but not to primitive measures such as leagues per quart.)

England uses the metric system for most things (I think -- jeeze the memory really is the first to go [Frown] ) but they do measure distances in miles, at least road distances anyhow. That always struck me as odd.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NobbyNobbs
Deck the Malls

How long has it been since the English currency system switched over? Somewhere I have a list of ha'pennies, pounds, shillings, and guineas, just to show my students how much sense a metric system makes. I just don't know how out of date it is.

--------------------

Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NobbyNobbs:
How long has it been since the English currency system switched over? Somewhere I have a list of ha'pennies, pounds, shillings, and guineas, just to show my students how much sense a metric system makes. I just don't know how out of date it is.

Those are Imperial, are they not?
Stupid question, I know, but as a metric baby I don't honestly know.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gonna hijack this back to "dumb customer service people" for a minute -
I recently went to Borders, and I had a 10% Off One Book coupon that they had emailed me - I'd finally broken down and given them my email address. So I bring my book ($29.95) and a magazine ($3.95)to the register, and am helped by this artsy student type. He's obviously new, and has that "I thought I was going to spend my day discussing the virtues of Faulkner, instead all anyone asks me about are self-help books" face of the disillusioned chain-bookstore employee (been there, done that, my friend.) ANYWAY, I hand him my items, and the coupon, and tell him, "I have this coupon you guys emailed me." He takes it, regards it strangely, and sets it off to the side. He rings up the items, then asks, "Would you like to give us your email address, so that we may send you valuable coupons?"
So, we're off to a good start.
He can't get the barcode on the coupon to scan, so he enters the 10% discount manually. Unfortunately, this applies the discount to my Spin magazine (39 cents) instead of the book ($2.99). I point this out, and he says, "Well, the cheapest item is always the discounted one."
So, I ask him, why would I even buy the magazine, since I could just pick it up later, and save almost 3 dollars? He just stared and got the manager, who fixed the problem, rolling her eyes in exasperation at her employee. I got the feeling he wasn't long for Borders.
OK - continue the discussion of weights and measures. [Smile]

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phil'sGirl
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil'sGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
I'm not sure about the pint/pound thing for cooking anyway. Honestly, I've never seen a recipe call for water by the pounds. And anything that is called for in pounds (sugar, flour, bannas as examples) doesn't fall into the pound = pint rule anyway.

This discussion seems to prove that not everyone understands that a pint = pound. I'm having a hard time understanding why the person in the OP didn't just say, "I'd like a pint".

BeachLife, I ask for a pound because the prices are per pound. When I ask for a pound, the deli girl, and its always a girl, picks up a container and fills it. She doesn't say anything about pint containers, and until I read this thread, I had no idea they were pint containers. Nor have I heard 'a pint's a pound' either.

Both of which qualify me to be questioned as to how I survive, apparently.

If the price was per pint, I'd ask for one, but it's not, so I don't.

--------------------
"Nobody ever looks like McCarthy, sir. That's how they get in the door in the first place" Toby on The West Wing

Posts: 816 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages