snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » How do these people survive? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How do these people survive?
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do these people survive?

ONE
Recently, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half dozen n uggets. "We don't have half dozen nuggets," said the teenager at the counter. "You don't?" I replied. "We only have six, nine, or twelve," was the reply. "So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?" "That's right." So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets.

TWO
I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those "dividers" that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the "divider", looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it. Not finding the bar code she said to me, "Do you know how much this is?" I said to her "I've changed my mind, I don't think I'll buy that today." She said "OK," and I paid her for the things and left. She had no clue to what had just happened.

THREE
I saw a lady at work putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly. When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."

FOUR
I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car. "Do you need some help?" I asked. She replied, "I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?" "Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an Ala rm, too?" I asked. "No, just this remote thingy," she answered, handing it and the car keys to me. As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied, "Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk."

FIVE
Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, "I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?" "Just use copier machine paper," the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five "blank" copies.

SIX
I was in a car dealership a while ago, when a large motor home was towed into the garage. The front of the vehicle was in dire need of repair and the whole thing generally looked like an extra in "Twister." I asked the manager what had happened. He told me that the driver had set the "cruise control" and then went in the back to make a sandwich.

SEVEN
My neighbor works in the operations department in the central office of a large bank. Employees in the field call him when they have problems with their computers. One night he got a call from a woman in one of the branch banks who had this question: "I've got smoke coming from the back of my terminal. Do you guys have a fire downtown?"

EIGHT
Police in Radnor, Pa., interrogated a suspect by placing a metal colander on his head and connecting it with wires to a photocopy machine. The message "He's lying" WA s placed in the copier, and police pressed the copy button each time they thought the suspect wasn't telling the truth. Believing the "lie detector" was working, the suspect confessed.

NINE
A mother calls 911 very worried asking the dispatcher if she needs to take her kid to the emergency room, the kid was eating ants. The dispatcher tells her to give the kid some Benadryl and all should be fine, the mother says, I just gave him some ant killer..... Dispatcher: Rush him to emergency!

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once called an airline company and asked about flights to Britain. After some tinkering with keys, she said "We don't fly into Britain. Is there another city you could fly into?" I suggested London, and luckily, they did fly there.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this like deja vu all over again?

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J Caldwell
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J Caldwell     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
I once called an airline company and asked about flights to Britain. After some tinkering with keys, she said "We don't fly into Britain. Is there another city you could fly into?" I suggested London, and luckily, they did fly there.

Would you also call the airline to ask to fly to California, or would you want to fly to LA, SF, etc.? Admittedly, the person on the other end of the phone should have asked where in Britain you wanted to fly.
Posts: 163 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG... I heard one that's along these same lines, but I'm going off memory, so I know my delivery will be horrible.

A travel agent is trying to book a flight for an elderly woman. The woman is flying from Pittsburgh, PA, to Detroit, MI. The flight is about an hour long. The flight attendant tells the woman that the flight will depart at 1:00 p.m. from Pittsburgh and land in Detroit at 1:01 p.m. The elderly woman is confused, sure she has the times wrong. The travel agent tries many times (and fails each time) to explain the time seems odd because of the change in time zones. Finally she tells the woman, "Our planes are REALLY fast," and the woman believes it.

(And before anyone starts looking up flights from Pitts to Detroit to debunk the hour long flight thing, remember, I did say that I was telling this from memory.)

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're right; I should probably have said "Can you tell me if you have any flights into Cardiff? or Bristol? or Manchester? or Leeds? or Birmingham? or Glasgow? or Edinburgh? or London Gatwick? or London Heathrow? or London Stansted?" That would have been much more efficient.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
OMG... I heard one that's along these same lines, but I'm going off memory, so I know my delivery will be horrible.

A travel agent is trying to book a flight for an elderly woman. The woman is flying from Pittsburgh, PA, to Detroit, MI. The flight is about an hour long. The flight attendant tells the woman that the flight will depart at 1:00 p.m. from Pittsburgh and land in Detroit at 1:01 p.m. The elderly woman is confused, sure she has the times wrong. The travel agent tries many times (and fails each time) to explain the time seems odd because of the change in time zones. Finally she tells the woman, "Our planes are REALLY fast," and the woman believes it.

(And before anyone starts looking up flights from Pitts to Detroit to debunk the hour long flight thing, remember, I did say that I was telling this from memory.)

Can I debunk it by pointing out that Detroit and Pittsburgh are both in the Eastern Time Zone?
Try making it a flight from Detroit to Chicago -- that fixes the time zone thing, and an hour sounds about right. [Big Grin]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for a laugh, I phoned Dell once and said "Your manual told me to boot the computer, so I booted it, and now the front of it's all broken and sparks are coming out of it. I want my money back."

They weren't very nice about it.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all of the stupid people in the OP are women.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

No, they're "ladies." So they really can't help it.

--------------------

Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
Just for a laugh, I phoned Dell once and said "Your manual told me to boot the computer, so I booted it, and now the front of it's all broken and sparks are coming out of it. I want my money back."

They weren't very nice about it.

[lol]
From my Dell customer service experiences I'd think that would be an awful lot of button pushing and hold time just to pull a joke. You must have a lot of time on your hands!
[lol]

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, they're "ladies." So they really can't help it.

You know, Chloe, sarcasm isn't very attractive at all. Why don't you lovely ladies just leave that to us menfolk?

You must have some knitting you could be getting on with. Or a pie to bake or something.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, good thing you reminded me: my spare toilet roll has been sitting out where anyone using the bathroom could see (the shame!), so I have to get cracking on crocheting a lovely one of these.

--------------------

KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wow, this guy sure does run into a lot of stupid people.......maybe he's contagious?

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, good thing you reminded me: my spare toilet roll has been sitting out where anyone using the bathroom could see (the shame!), so I have to get cracking on crocheting a lovely one of these.

While you are at it do you think you can crochet for me one of those beer can hats?

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:

Can I debunk it by pointing out that Detroit and Pittsburgh are both in the Eastern Time Zone?
Try making it a flight from Detroit to Chicago -- that fixes the time zone thing, and an hour sounds about right. [Big Grin]

[lol] okay okay... as I said... [Big Grin]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
Almost all of the stupid people in the OP are women.

Yeah I noticed that, and in most of the others the gender isn't given so you're left to fill in the blank yourself. Not that the OP is sexist or anything. Perish the thought...

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Dara bhur gCara mentioned funny computer stories, I dug this one out of my "stuff to keep" email folder

CUSTOMER SERVICE

This has got to be one of the funniest I've heard of in a longtime. I
think this guy should have been promoted, not fired.

This is a true story from the WordPerfect Help line which was
transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department.

Needless to say, the Help Desk employee was fired. However, he is
currently suing the WordPerfect organization for "Termination without
Cause." This is the actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer
Support employee (now I know why they record these conversations)

"Rich Hall computer assistance; may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's a blank; it won' t accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV.
Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power
cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the
wall."

"Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two
cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well , there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other
cable."

"Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of
your computer."

"I can't reach."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle it's because it's
dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes, the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from
the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power failure."

"A power....... a power failure?.... Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now.
Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer
came in?"

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like
it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it
from."

"Really? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too NFBSKing stupid to own a computer." [lol]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bunion
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately my TiVo died this last weekend so I called their tech support. The first guy I talked to was really good and told me that my TiVo was history and that it would cost around $100 to exchange my old one out for a refurbished one, but they had a deal where I could get a brand new one for $69. So I told him I may as well do that and he transfered me to the accounting people so I could cancel my current TiVo account since I would have to start a new one with a new TiVo.

So I get on the phone with this new guy and tell him I just needed to cancel my account since my TiVo died. He then goes on to tell me that he can get me a good price on a refurbished one, so I ask him how much and he puts me on hold. He comes back and says that he can get me the refurbished one for only $59. I explain to him that I can buy a brand new TiVo for only $69 and not have to worry about sending my old one in. He says hold on a sec let me talk to my supervisor and puts me on hold again. He comes back on all excited saying that he can get me the refurbished one for only $49 now. I tell him that I fail to see how that is a good deal when I can get the new one for $69. He then tells me that the $49 is a really good price, I just tell him to cancel my account. He sounded totally dejected at that point when I finally ended the call.

Bunion

--------------------
You get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun then you do with a kind word alone.

Posts: 44 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those "dividers" that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed. After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the "divider", looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it. Not finding the bar code she said to me, "Do you know how much this is?" I said to her "I've changed my mind, I don't think I'll buy that today." She said "OK," and I paid her for the things and left. She had no clue to what had just happened.
Although still stupid, it is not completely far fetched. I have seen stores where there was a bar code on those dividers, and that barcode basically told the cash register to sum it all up and print out the reciept. Some kind of "shortcut", instead of having to go through the hard work of pushing a button.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
Since Dara bhur gCara mentioned funny computer stories, I dug this one out of my "stuff to keep" email folder

CUSTOMER SERVICE

This has got to be one of the funniest I've heard of in a longtime. I
think this guy should have been promoted, not fired.

This is a true story from the WordPerfect Help line which was
transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department.

*snip*

You really ought to check the main site.From Barbara's writeup,...
quote:
Here's a quote from the tech's original post to alt.shenanigans which picks up the story just after his clueless user tells him there's a power outage:

This woman was good friends with my supervisor, who was also a French professor (still is, matter of fact--and in addition, she's now also my wife), so I couldn't deal with her the way I really wanted to, and was forced to explain sweetly and gently to her that computers needed power just like office lights, and if the office lights were out, then the computer was too, and that yes, if she hadn't saved her work she had probably lost everything she'd done so far in WordPerfect. But I could still fantasize:
[The tech goes on to describe what he felt he should have said, culminating in the now infamous "Too stupid to own a computer" line.]

As for the OP,seven is an oldie, and eight has been floating around for a while.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once got into a "verbal altercation" with a girl at the deli counter of the grocery store over a container of potato salad. The exchange went something like this:

Me: I'd like a pound of the potato salad (advertised as $1.99/lb)
Clerk: (after looking frantically at all the containers) Um, we don't have any 1 pound containers right now. Do you want a different amount?
Me: (pointing to the right container) It's right there.
Clerk: No. That's a pint container.
Me: Yep, that's the right one.
Clerk: I'm sorry, Ma'am, it's not a pound. It's a pint. Are you sure that's what you want?
Me: Yes, they're the same thing.
Clerk: No, they're not, but I'm happy to get whatever size you want.
Me: (giving up in frustration) No problem, honey. I'll take the pint.

Let's all sing it together now - "A pint's a pound the world around."

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

But it's not. A pint of lead weighs more than a pint of feathers, and a pint is 20 ounces in the UK anyway.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A pint of deli salad is the same as a pound of deli salad, however.

ETA: In the US, anyhow. And I'm not sure why, because it seems to me that 16 volumetric ounces of coleslaw would not weigh the same as 16 volumetric ounces of potato salad or kidney bean salad or pasta salad. But that is, in fact, how it works.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

I don't follow that. A pint of lettuce surely weighs less than a pint of potato salad.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of the pint's a pound thing before. I'm pretty sure my deli actully charges by weight. When the pre-package items, like spinach dip, the prices of several identical containers are slightly different due to the weight difference.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

To clarify, I do not endorse the terminology. And it's been years since I've purchased deli salads, so perhaps the practice has changed. But I have seen "pints" and "pounds" referred to as equivalent units of measure for deli salads.

--------------------

Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this one in my inbox today, please excuse the arrows.

This is a sad commentary on how stupid some people are and how the system
> keeps them that way. Just follow the rules, don't think or inject something
> like rational thought into the process.
> Subject: Funny funny funny
>
>
> Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die.
> This is so priceless, and so easy to see happening,
> customer service being what it is today.
> A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February
> and March for their annual service charges on her credit card,
> and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge.
> The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00.
> A family member placed ! a call to Citibank:
>
> Family Member: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."
> Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still
> apply."
> Family Member: "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."
> Citibank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."
> Family Member So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"
> Citibank: "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to
> the credit bureau, mayb! e both!"
> Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
> Citibank: "Excuse me?"
> Family Member"Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her
> being dead?"
> Citibank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."
> Superv! isor gets on the phone:
> Family Member: "I' m call ing to tell you, she died in January."
> Citibank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still
> apply."
> Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"
> Citibank: (Stammer) "Are yo u her lawyer?"
> Family Member:: "No, I'm her great nephew." (Lawyer info given)
> Citibank: : "Could you fax us a certificate of death?"
> Family Member:: "Sure." (fax number is given) After they get the fax:
> Citibank: "Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can
> do to help"
> Family Member:: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just
> keep billing her. I don't think she will care"
> Citibank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."
> Family Member:: "Would you lik! e her new billing! address?"
> Citibank: "That might help."
> Family Member:: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69."
> Citibank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!"
> Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?"

--------------------

Squishy0405

Stupid Surviving Waffles

Me: I didn't order waffles, I only clicked once.
ULMB: You said pancakes.
Me: Yes, pancakes not waffles
ULMB You clicked twice
Me: NO, I clicked once
ULMB: I can't take them back you infected them with your mind games
Me: Looks at the ceiling...the floor...o0o a penny! ::Forgets the point::

ETA: Thanks for disecting that Dr. Winston, its still funny. I can't believe I didn't think to check on that, I usually do before I email things [Eek!]

--------------------

NobbyNobbs
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobbyNobbs   E-mail NobbyNobbs   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
A pint of deli salad is the same as a pound of deli salad, however.

ETA: In the US, anyhow. And I'm not sure why, because it seems to me that 16 volumetric ounces of coleslaw would not weigh the same as 16 volumetric ounces of potato salad or kidney bean salad or pasta salad. But that is, in fact, how it works.

A pint is not a pound. Pint is a measure of volume. Pound is a measure of weight. It's like saying "An inch is a minute." It doesn't make sense.

If you still doubt it, put an empty pint container on the scale. See what a pint of air weighs. Then fill it with lead shot. See what a pint of lead weighs.

The confusion (which I am constantly battling with my students) is that we often confuse "weight" with "mass". Weight is how hard gravity pulls down on something (measured by a scale) and mass is how much stuff it is made of. Here on Earth, we tend to equate the two. Go to the moon and your weight changes but your mass doesn't.

Now, since mass is intimately related to volume, people may think that weight is intimately related to volume. The problem is, density is also related to volume. Air and lead have different densities. Therefore the same volume of them has different weights. And different masses.

Everybody sufficiently confused yet?

--------------------
Back in the days before electricity, we were forced to watch TV by candlelight.

Posts: 229 | From: Paoli, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

I've only heard of:

Which weighs more a lb of dimes or a lb of nickels (interchangable of course)...they weight the same...something to that effect ?

ETA: extra info...found this conversion link. 1Lb=16oz=1pt (in the US)
Conversion Chart

ETA2: to the previous post-either way a pint is 16oz so the lead and air is still the same-a pint.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

No, a pint of *water* (in the US, at least) weighs 16oz. A pint of lead weighs much more; a pint of air (or feathers, or straw) weighs a lot less.

--------------------

Squishy0405

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the moon a pint would be a pint even though the weight has changed...Yeah I'm confused.

ETA: OK
So a pint of water =16oz weighs 1Lb
if you made a pint of lead it should weigh 1Lb
if you made a pint of feathers you would add enough to make 1 Lb even though the amount of each object would differ...

ETA2: for example a pint (lb) of m&ms would differ in amount than a pint of snickers because snickers are bigger blocks and m&ms are tiny...therefore needing more in amount to reach the 1Lb

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Part of the problem, I think, is that US recipes measure by volume for dry ingredients rather than weight. So you have a certain number of cups of flour, rather than a certain number of ounces. As a result, you learn that a rough equivalent for a pint is a pound, so that instead of having to squeeze 16 oz of butter into a measuring cup, you know that it's two cups, or a pint. While this works, roughly, for most cooking ingredients, it doesn't hold true for things that are much denser or much less dense--like lead, or feathers.

Or I could be wrong, because this sounds vaguely like physics to me. *runs screaming*

ETA: since Squishy's last post. A pint measures *volume*--what you're calling "amount"--i.e., how much of it you can stick in a pint jug. If you add more feathers to make up a pound, the volume of feathers is no longer a pint.

--------------------

Squishy0405

My measuring cup has ounces and cups on it (i think its for liquid) and then i have the other cups. I didn't know until my last yr in high school that there was a difference in cups for dry & wet ingredients [dunce]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages