snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Courses for women (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Courses for women
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is actually from "The Man Show"

Take it with a grain of salt it's meant to be funny.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We know it's meant to be funny. We're discussing whether it is funny.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lanie, Lanie, Lanie....Don't you know by now that if you find anything, no matter how offensive, not funny when it was meant to be funny, you're just a man-hating feminazi without a sense of humor?

C'mon, Get with the times!

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting that. [giggle] I'm such a big silly.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Read my original comment. I said take it with a grain of salt. It is from a show on Comedy Central.

I look at it this way, this list makes NO sense and is based on out of date stereotypes.

So who are they making fun of?
Woman?
No
I see it as making fun of broad out of date stereotypes and the people that actually believe them.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
Lanie, Lanie, Lanie....Don't you know by now that if you find anything, no matter how offensive, not funny when it was meant to be funny, you're just a man-hating feminazi without a sense of humor?

C'mon, Get with the times!

I didn't know I was a man-hating feminazi. Who's going to show me the secret handshake and issue my uniforms?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering, am I the only one who finds the Man Show offensive to men?

I personally know plenty of guys who have interests beyond boobs and beer.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
I didn't know I was a man-hating feminazi. Who's going to show me the secret handshake and issue my uniforms? [/QB]

Meet me in the alley at a quarter to midnight. Bring $10,000 and a case of beer. Good beer, not Budweiser. Come alone.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by glisp42:
Read my original comment. I said take it with a grain of salt. It is from a show on Comedy Central.

Read my original response to your comment. Being on Comedy Central doesn't automatically make it funny.

--------------------

Moeko'sOwl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moeko'sOwl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
I didn't know I was a man-hating feminazi. Who's going to show me the secret handshake and issue my uniforms?

Meet me in the alley at a quarter to midnight. Bring $10,000 and a case of beer. Good beer, not Budweiser. Come alone. [/QB]
Now THAT's funny! [lol]

--------------------
We are all equal, be it before the eyes of God, or for our own sake. We are all worthy of the same fundamental rights, freedoms, and, protections. Mindless hatred is unjustifiable. -Squoval

Posts: 320 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Card:

I personally know plenty of guys who have interests beyond boobs and beer.

Our German equivalent has all that - and cars and sometimes even football. Ain't it great? Gotta love it...

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave. Dry. Crisp. Witty.:
[QUOTE]I'm not picking on women drivers, though. Failing to look for cyclists and pedestrians seems to be endemic to Denver drivers of both sexes. They look both ways for cross traffic, but usually don't look straight ahead to see if there's anyone actually crossing the street before they hit the gas. [Mad]

Happens all the time in Sacramento, with drivers of either sex, in any type of vehicle (except city buses). IME, an extremely annoying percentage of these incidents involve someone who's too busy yapping on the cell phone they're holding to bother paying attention to anything else. (Yes, I have a cell phone myself. No, I do NOT use same while driving in traffic. If I get a call while driving, it goes to voicemail, I pull over to deal with it, or I have a passenger handle the call.)
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
orac_in_oz
Albert Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orac_in_oz   E-mail orac_in_oz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Maybe it would be funnier to me if my friends and I were more like the stereotypes the author apparently subscribes to. There's a lot of "girl" stuff I just don't get.

I don't mind lists like this, but it annoys me sometimes IRL when people make silly assumptions about me because I'm female. I do separate my laundry, but I don't, for example, have towels in my bathroom that aren't intended for use. And I don't dust. [Wink]

As for toilet seats, this is my position, now and forever: Men, on occasion, must use the seat down. Women, however, never use the seat up. Therefore, down is the default position.

There is an argument to say that the issue is having to touch the seat, I think its fair to say neither gender wants to touch the seat more than they have to.
Whilst I'd like to attribute this to an urge to be hygenic, I think laziness probably trumps the list of reasons, maybe especially for men but thats open for debate.
I consider the source of the problem to be stupidly designed toilets.

I therefore think its fair to balance the load of dealing with a stupid design. Rather than creating a roster with a secure web cam to deal with disputes, I prefer to use a system that is easy to remember that balances things between both genders.

The analogy is a computers cache memory:
Each operation (using the toilet) needs the seat in a certain position - if the seat is already in that position, then it saves having to touch the seat once.
So, it makes sense to leave the toilet alone when you finish with it and adjust the seat whenever you approach it.
That applies to all genders.

I think guys that leave pee on the seat need toilet training akin to a young puppy.
bleah!

So, if we all had toilets that kindly welcome us to the bathroom, adjust the seat for us and then shut the hell up!, the divorce rate may well be a lot lower.

orac.

--------------------
Disclaimer: ...Oh, sorry, did I say that out loud?

Posts: 173 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that seat and lid down is the correct default. Thus annoying everybody equally.

I admit this seems less of a good idea at work though (male-only loo) because some people appear to have a severe pebble-dashing problem and don't know how to use the loo brush. As in a horror film, it's somehow worse to have to lift the lid not knowing what you're going to see than it is just to be confronted with it immediately.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
orac_in_oz
Albert Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orac_in_oz   E-mail orac_in_oz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I think that seat and lid down is the correct default. Thus annoying everybody equally.

I admit this seems less of a good idea at work though (male-only loo) because some people appear to have a severe pebble-dashing problem and don't know how to use the loo brush. As in a horror film, it's somehow worse to have to lift the lid not knowing what you're going to see than it is just to be confronted with it immediately.

I guess having it up at least allows you to approach gradually and retreat before the battle even takes place.

I think it was Ben Elton who coined the phrase "whirly splat" to describe some public toilets.

orac.

Edited post for bad logic.

--------------------

Posts: 173 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another (non-gender related) toilet problem we have at my flat is the lid up/down flush/no flush in the middle of the night dilemma. If I use the loo at night I donít flush and put the lid down so I donít wake everyone else up but leave a clear indicator that the toilet needs flushing in the morning unless youíre happy to share water, so to speak. One of my flatmates (the one whose room is furthest from the bathroom) has a huge problem with this despite the fact that
1) All three of the rest of us do it
2) Iíve explained my reasoning to her so she knows if she finds lid down= flush first
3) She gets up later than everyone else so she hardly ever comes across a closed lid
4) Sheís woken some of us up in the middle of the night (very noisy flush and tank refilling) and been asked by us not to flush between 11 and 7 on a school night/day
5) She thinks it spreads germs despite one of my flatmates (Msc in Microbiology) has explained that it wonít and
6) When her boyfriend comes round to visit he not only leaves the lid up with no flush but he also sprinkles the tiles and slams the door on the way in and out.

End toilet hijack/

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
orac_in_oz
Albert Mexico

Red Squirrel:

Reducing the number of night flushes takes priority, I can appreciate that. Saves on water, lets you know when to block your nose etc...

Would your flatmate be pissed (pardon the punn) if you put a sign on the toilet or would she just ignore it.

Orac.

--------------------

Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Card:

In a word, no. I do, however, find it somewhat perversely amusing how the "men's rights" crowd always wants to celebrate all the worst stereotypes about men as if that's what makes manhood great.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Red Squirrel, when DD was an infant, I sometimes didn't flush at night because it might wake her. My then-husband was horrified to discover this -- honestly, you would have thought I'd skipped the toilet and relieved myself on the floor.

--------------------

nod
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The eternal problem of the late night visit.... do I flush or do I put the lid down?

Easy - if there are solids present (apart from paper), then I'll flush; if not, I leave the seat down (and the lid) to remind me to flush in the morning.

Should I be alone in the house during the week, then the same rules apply! Solids get flushed, recycled coffee can wait for a solid delivery (or the return of my good lady) before ultimate disposal.

One last thing - how far does the aerosol of toilet bowl contents fly if you leave the lid up when you flush?

Edited to add..
Yes, I have seen the other thread concerning aerosolling of faeces....

--------------------
Many a True Word Spoken in Jest!

Posts: 73 | From: Devon, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

We settled on that, both for fairness and as a plumbing safety issue (we have pets, and both human household members are prone to clumsiness, which makes it more likely something's going to get dropped in there, and landlords tend not to like having tenants break the plumbing).
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Red Squirrel:
Another (non-gender related) toilet problem we have at my flat is the lid up/down flush/no flush in the middle of the night dilemma.

I have a probably irrational squeamish reaction to dealing with an unflushed toilet, so flush it each use (never seems to disturb my husband when he's sleeping, and he agrees with the "flush each use" approach. His middle-of-the-night trips only disturb me when he gets out of bed or (more) when he returns and pulls the covers high enough off the mattress to send a blast of cold air under the covers with me).
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't flush unless there are "solids" or it's been sitting for awhile. While I was pregnant I was constantly pissing so I noticed a slight increase in our water bill. I'm cheap and it works.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I don't flush unless there are "solids" or it's been sitting for awhile. While I was pregnant I was constantly pissing so I noticed a slight increase in our water bill. I'm cheap and it works.

If it's yellow, let it mellow,
If it's brown, flush it down... [Smile]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have that as a sign in the kids bathroom!

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages