snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » More Signs of the Times (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: More Signs of the Times
GravyTrain
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GravyTrain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I had taken a picture, but I was once at an event where the caterers provided an assortment of sandwiches for lunch, including the now-cliche-level "Smoked Turkey Beast" sandwich.

Can't you just see it?

"Boys.. gather round.. and I'll tell you the story about when your grandpappy hunted the legendary.. TURKEY BEAST!.. I remember walking through the dark woods.. and I heard that noise.. there was no mistaking the evil.. and it rang through the woods.. GOOOOBBBBLLLE GOOOOOBBBBLLLE...."

Posts: 1157 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least grandpappy didn't have to hunt down and kill El Pollo Diablo.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
 -

That just shows how bad the problem really is.

Was it the Colbert Report or the Daily Show that said "the Chinese may out number us, but we still out weight them..."?

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the point is that extremely obese people are included in "obese" and "overweight" as well, and obese people are included in "overweight" too. So 35% of us are overweight, another 25% obese, and 5% extremely obese.

Or was this obvious, and I'm pedantically belaboring a joke, which is quite possible?

The scary thing to me here is that almost as many people are "obese" as "overweight."

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dookie_booty
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 22 posted      Profile for dookie_booty   E-mail dookie_booty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie4JCM:
quote:
Originally posted by dookie_booty:
I live close to the liguor store in the second pic. I recognized when I first saw it cause I drive by it alot. [lol] Course I never go in. Too shady looking. I always found it funny that it says that. Guess people are too desperate to get drunk. [Razz]

Dookie, is this one in Westminster by any chance? Looks like one that I lived by years and years and years ago off Springdale, but I thought nah - too long ago! Now I'm wondering!
Nope, way off! [lol] Actually, it's in Fullerton. If you know where that is. [lol]

--------------------
Don't blame me, my evil monkey did it.
-----------------
Just remember, When everything seems difficult, I'll be shining from a far, When it feels like things have gone away, I'll see you again.

Posts: 130 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sidewinder
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for sidewinder   E-mail sidewinder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
damn, i can't find the picture i took of a rather odd sign outside my home a few years back. It wasn't anything spectacular, and i think it's fairly common here in Uk.

"Apologise for inconvenience"

Might not seem like much to you guys, but to me and my goofy friends it was a hoot!

Posts: 282 | From: wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 96 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Blue Fuzzy Thing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Fuzzy Thing   E-mail Blue Fuzzy Thing   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
They could just be advertising the ice cream scoop's durability. A spoon that can withstand a bullet shouldn't break in half while trying to scoop rock-hard ice cream, right?

No, I'm thinking more for safety:

John paled as the thug walked into the ice cream parlor waving his gun and shouting “Come on, empty the register, I’m not fooling.” Opening the register, he ignored the cash and instead reached behind the drawer. As his hand wrapped around the cool plastic of the hidden ice cream scoop, he breathed a sigh of relief. Everything would be ok; the bullets couldn’t hurt him now.

--------------------
People say I have ADD, but they just don’t understand that... Oh look! A chicken!

Posts: 151 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
 -

I have always wondered who the hell people with mullets are going to get their hair cut that way — who graduates from cosmetology school to perpetuate a hairstyle from the ’80s that should never have been in the first place?

I'm happy to see that at least one shop is taking a stand.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

If you can't read it it says:

1990 Plymouth Sundance
Automatic, red, runs, new fuel pump,
recent brake work, back folds for: furni-
ture, instruments or fat dead bodies!
$880. [And then all the contact info]

Sorry, I know it looks like crap, but I haven't got a scanner.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aarspace
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aarspace     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear if you talk on a celery phone you can actually LOSE WEIGHT! You know....negative calories and all that.

--------------------
Bob Dole + The Green Lantern = BEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Posts: 33 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 215 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 220 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

DaGuyWitBluGlasses

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OTL:
I can understand why you would make an ice cream scoop out of bulletproof plastic. What I can't understand is why you would advertise it as such.

Bulletproof Plastic is not "Plastic that is Bulletproof"

It refers to a Polycarbonate (one of which is known under the Brand Name LEXAN, used to make Nalgene(t) bottles)

The plastic isn't really bullet-proof. It is to be laminated to make bullet-proof/resistant glass.

So what is more appealing to the consumer: Bulletproof, or Polycarbonate?

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dareyawes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dareyawes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses:

It refers to a Polycarbonate (one of which is known under the Brand Name LEXAN, used to make Nalgene(t) bottles)

The plastic isn't really bullet-proof. It is to be laminated to make bullet-proof/resistant glass.

For various reasons never to be mentioned again my camping buddies and I decided to pop off a few 22 LR caliber rounds at a Nalgene bottle. All we managed to do was repeatedly knock it off of the fence post. So I know of at least one hunk of polycarb that is indeed bulletproof (or at least bullet resistant - provided it isn't solidly wedged against a backdrop or hit with a decent calibered weapon). Surprisingly, a wire tipped blowgun dart did manage to penetrate the lexan enough to cause a small leak.

Wow, what a pointless anecdote. My apologies for all that.

Now that I think about it, "Bulletproof" DOES sound more impressive than "Polycarbonate", so I guess DaGuyWitBluGlasses (unlike me) has a point. "Blowgun proof", of course, would impress absolutely no one - even if it were true.

Posts: 152 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OTL:
I can understand why you would make an ice cream scoop out of bulletproof plastic. What I can't understand is why you would advertise it as such.

How about "neither"? [Razz]

"Polycarbonate" may not be all that appealing a name, but if you use "bulletproof" instead, the consumer is going to assume that you mean... well, "bulletproof". Which is going to make them wonder why you're expecting someone to shoot at an ice cream scoop. (Because why would you advertise it as being bulletproof if you're not expecting it to be shot at?) (It doesn't really matter what the actual definition of "bulletproof plastic" is; what matters is what the consumers are going to think it means. And they're going to think "bulletproof plastic" means "plastic that is bulletproof".)

Again, why not "unbreakable" or "really strong" plastic, or something along those lines? At least people will understand what you actually mean.

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, "unbreakable" would be an adjective, and so false advertising.

Like i said "bulletproof plastic" is not plastic that is bullet proof. What i mean by that is "bulletproof plastic" is a term. "Bulletproof" is not an adjective, it is not separable from plastic.

It is not advertising the plastic as being bulletproof, it is saying what kind of plastic the scoop is being made from.

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is not advertising the plastic as being bulletproof, it is saying what kind of plastic the scoop is being made from.

Even so, if I saw an ice cream scoop that said it was made from bulletproof plastic my first thought wouldn't be "Ah, that's the type of plastic they use" it would be "Huh? Why do I need that? Who's going to shoot at my ice cream scoop?" and then I'd be so busy pondering that I'd forget about the ice cream altogether, so that's just bad advertising [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Bulletproof" is not an adjective, it is not separable from plastic.
Sure it is. "Plastic" is a noun that can be used on its own, without any modifiers.

quote:
And hence it's an adjective -- a word that "modifies a noun by limiting, qualifying, or specifying."

- snopes

Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that from the "Jack the Ripper Cooks (an)Italian" cookbook?

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't have a camera with me, so I couldn't get a picture, but while stopping in Coarsegold, CA, for a stretch your legs break I saw this on the marquee of the KFC:

All You Can Eat Buffet
Drive-thru

Sounds like a pretty good idea, but I bet the line moves rather slow.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages