snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Humor » Ban comic sans (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ban comic sans
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
I have been sending my resume out the past few weeks with not one bite. Do you think it is because I used Comic Sans as my font choice?

yes

{edited to elaborate}
Assume that I've got 50-75 resumes to glean for each opening in my department. I have no intention of reading them all. I know that half of them are underqualified. Half of what's left has not researched my company or the position being offered. Fifty percent of the rest will be eliminated due to my personal biases, even though I'll never admit that I have any. Oh, and I have 20 minutes (before lunch-next appointment-start of my weekend) to go through the entire stack of resumes. During my first run-through, all I'm interested in is reducing the pile.

"H'mmm, this one looks like it was written with a Sharpie", It's outta here.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all of my professors require Times New Roman, 12 point, double-spaced, one inch. I had one renegade that insisted on Garamond, but that was it.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comic Sans.... *shudder*

In college, I was an editor for the school paper. One of my reporters insisted on turning in her articles typed in Comic Sans. Single spaced. In pink. Oh, my eyes! Even worse, the articles themselves were badly written most of the time. We used Bookman Old Style for our typeface; could she have made it easy on the editorial staff and handed it in that way? NO! Luckily for me, she grew tired of tormenting me after a year and left the paper staff. Ever since then, though, I haven't been able to take seriously anything typed in Comic Sans, pink or otherwise.

Most of my professors didn't particularly care about what font we used, as long as it was readable and didn't look like we were trying to use a larger font and fill up more space. I tended to use either Palatino or Arial.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually comic sans does seem to be very inefficient, space-wise. As far as taking it seriously? Nah, it's very obviously for recreational use only. I certainly wouldn't have handed in articles typed in it! Jeesh.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It continually amazes me that people use anything besides TNR or Arial for academic writing. I even get irritated when I see a paper written in Courier - to me it seems like the writer was trying to pad for space. That someone would use a party-invitation font like Comic Sans for formal writing is just mind-boggling. Why not just use Curlz MT and get it over with.

At the beginning of last semester, one of my more tech-savvy professors announced that she would take points off any student who failed to use 12-point TNR on a paper. This prompted several students to complain to the Dean that the professor was "stifling academic freedom." Ho ho.

Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
Comic sans reminds me of those alphabet posters kindergarten teachers stick up in their classrooms to show kids what letters are supposed to look like. It has a very "elementary school" feel.

When I was training to teach we were told that Comic Sans is one of the fonts that best represents letter formation to children. (Along with Sassoon) Hence everyone of my homemade worksheets uses it. It has its place. [Smile]

Holly

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
Years ago, a catalog I used to like to read, changed their font from a sans serif to a serif. They explained the change, saying that studies had shown that long sections of text are easier to read if the font has serifs, because the eye naturally follows the serifs across the page, whereas sans serif letters just sort of sit there. )

Correct -- at least that's what I've been taught in library science (and the palaeography lessons that go with it). Apparently the serifs make longer texts easier to read.
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
polyglotmom

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:
I like Comic Sans, and wish I had Comicbook on this computer. It's in our letterhead, but my company is supposed to be fun and jovial. But, it's never used in the body of the text...Times New Roman all the way, baby!

Besides, if it did go away, how'd I ever address my son's b-day party invites?

I've always loved CSS because I guess it represents the free-spirited me who doesn't want to take it seriously. Plus I like the way it looks. I HATE TNR! Too stiff, formal and dogmatic. It smacks of my mother insisting on addressing letters to me as Mrs. John Smith instead of Mrs. Mary Smith or Mary Smith or addressing the two of us as John and Mary Smith. That makes me feel like a piece of chattel and I'm insulted that her traditional education is more important than my feelings. For some reason TNR reminds me of that.
Happy Moscow
Helga Switzerland

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Moscow   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I applied for my visa to live permanently in the UK, I received a letter typed in Comic Sans from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate. It did not inspire confidence.

(Sure enough, they NFBSKed up my application and lost my passport before finally sorting things out.)

--------------------
My blog (and my husband's)
~
'One grows absurdly attached to a potto.' - Patrick O'Brian

Posts: 90 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
I have been sending my resume out the past few weeks with not one bite. Do you think it is because I used Comic Sans as my font choice?

Yes. Although I hold no animosity toward readable font, the only ones that would be appropriate for professional purposes are TNR, Arial, and possibly Garamond. If I were to receive a resume written in a "fun" font, it would go straight in the garbage.

I like to have a wide array of fonts for my own personal use, and as long as it's readable I don't mind it being used to make signs like "Please keep door closed" or "Place trash here". But for formal documents and business memos, stick with Times New Roman as your default.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest I was joking abnout my resume in Comic Sans. It is in either TNR or Ariel. I tried jazzing it up with a different style of font and thought it appeared too clever or prententious.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever looked closely at the euro symbol in Comic Sans? It has a face. I'm not kidding:

-

If there's one popular font that needs banning, it's Arial. Arial started its sad little life as MS's knock off of a font we already knew and loved, Helvetica (known to many computer users as Swiss 721, a knock off in and of itself). Arial is uglier and harder to read than Helvetica, but because Microsoft owns it and its name puts it near the top of the list alphabetically, it's actually starting to become more popular than Helvetica. Sign makers and logo designers have already begun to use it where they used to use Helvetica, but thankfully the truly hip magazine and book publishers still turn their nose up at it. I absolutely refuse to use it anywhere I can use the real deal. The only place I'm forced to use it is in web publishing, where it's pretty likely that the end user will have Arial and not Helvetica installed.

Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

What on earth is wrong with Arial? I like it far better than TNR, find it pleasing to the eye and extremely easy to read. Its being (apparently) a knock-off doesn't phase me, and I'd use it for real writing.

How do you make that Euro sign?

dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The easiest thing on a standard keyboard is to copy and paste it using Character Map. Or, copy and paste this:

Arial has serious character width issues. Some letters (A, G, R) are so wide that they look awkward. Some are too narrow (J, M). Among other issues that bug me, the slanted ends on the "curvy" letters make it look too informal. If people don't like Helvetica, there are about 100 really nice sans-serif fonts that are much better looking and more legible than Arial. To me, the font just has a very amateurish look to it. If Microsoft didn't own the font and it just came out of some little foundry, it would have been laughed off the face of the earth.

Here's a great page on the history of Arial:

The Scourge of Arial

Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spryte
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spryte   Author's Homepage   E-mail Spryte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
all fonts have their purpose - comic sans was made for comics. it should never be used for business unless your business is comics.
Arial is a good font for body content in business and academic papers and such - courier is used when students can't make the paper long enough, so they use a bigger font (this has resulted in making most professors insist that only Times New Roman should be used)
don't waste time trying to ban a font - make a new one! we should only keep adding to the font possibilities - i like options

--------------------
"Let's enjoying!"

Posts: 122 | From: New Orleanian in Japan | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 206 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfsunctional:
Here's a great page on the history of Arial:

The Scourge of Arial

Nice link, dysfunctional – I was going to post something, but I see that article covers it:
quote:
The few cases that I have heard of where a designer has intentionally used Arial were because the client insisted on it. Why? The client wanted to be able to produce materials in-house that matched their corporate look and they already had Arial, because it's included with Windows.
… and then we have to find some tactful way of explaining why that isn’t such a hot idea. And no, it’s not because we want them to pay us to produce them.* It’s because if they can’t handle the idea of more than one font, or judge the qualities that make one font more appropriate than another, then they aren’t going to be able to produce visually effective materials in any case, and will probably undermine everything they’re hoping to achieve with the carefully crafted corporate ID that they’re asking us to design for them. It’s like getting a custom-made car, and then asking for all the nuts and bolts to be 3/4 inch “because I want to do my own maintenance, and I’ve only got one spanner.”

* All right, it is a bit. [Wink]

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Effective imediately, I officially rescind my allegiance to the Revolutionaries of Aerial Typeface.

I now belong to the Everlasting Association of Touch Typing in Helvecita (because) It's Swell.

I will spare no effort to make a clever acronym.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spryte:

Arial is a good font for body content in business and academic papers and such - courier is used when students can't make the paper long enough, so they use a bigger font (this has resulted in making most professors insist that only Times New Roman should be used)

Courier is useful for IT types who are editing source code in a word processor for whatever reason (usually for printing). It's also good when the need for column editing arises (usually in cleaning up non-csv data).

buf 'good for card wallopers who still have to count columns' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ciara...

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The easiest thing on a standard keyboard is to copy and paste it using Character Map. Or, copy and paste this: €

I'd say the easiest way is to press AltGr and the E key. Or is that just a European keyboard function?

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ciara...:
quote:
The easiest thing on a standard keyboard is to copy and paste it using Character Map. Or, copy and paste this: €

I'd say the easiest way is to press AltGr and the E key. Or is that just a European keyboard function?
My Canadian Keyboard does not have that function.
Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right Alt + 5 on International Keyboard makes €.

You have to use the right alt key though, the left one doesn't work.
I think you change your keyboard to International by accessing the language bar. Which you can get to by right clicking on your task bar, and then goint into the toolbar list and selecting languages. Then a little keyboard appears on your task bar. If you right click that and choose settings, you go into a menu of different keyboard settings you can use.

ETA:

On a Canadian Multilingual Standard Keyboard it is right alt + E = €.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Hehe ok I cut and pasted because I don't know where the taskbar is.

Seriously though, the Euro in comic sans didn't have a face! I blew it up to 72 point font and there was no face lol.

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blow it up to 200 points, Shades. It's there in mine.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Oh ok...now to show my ignorance...(small voice) - how do I blow it up to 200? Wordpad only goes up to 72 [Frown]
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Instead of using the dropdown font size menu, just type in the number in the box.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I blew up my € and it just got to be a really really big euro sign. I could see how if it seperated it would look like a this smiley (= but the dashes stayed across the (.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Thanks, Spam, that's a cool trick to know. I blew it up (in comic sans of course) to 200 and then 300 and still no face.

But I will say it does look pretty cool at 500 [Big Grin]

Ok just one last thing; it says "Comic Sans MS" as opposed to just "Comic Sans." Could that explain it?

Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got the face too. It must depend one which version of the font you have or something. I have Version 2.10 in case anyone wants to compare.

Here's a nice large Euro in Comic Sans so you all can see how it looks on your own computer.

Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Well, Wizard, I can't see the eye on the one you posted. Folks'll have to scroll up to see dysfunctional's Euro up the page from here.

Shades, I'm sorry to tell you that on my home computer, I can't get the eye on either Word Pad or Word. It may be that Comic Sans MS issue, or not. I'm not sure what version I have at work.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone ever looked closely at the euro symbol in Comic Sans? It has a face. I'm not kidding.

My God - it's true! I thought you were joking... (edit) - I think my version of Comic Sans came with Office 2000, or possibly with XP Pro. Those are what I'm using, anyway; the eye shows up in Word 2000.

I find sans serif fonts easier to read on screen, and serif easier to read when printed, but perhaps that's just me. My document template at work uses Helvetica (my choice).

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aquadude
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquadude     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine has no face. Oh well.

--------------------
ˇEl Toro Loco!

Posts: 63 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's cool -- it actually has a face!

Comic Sans has always been my favorite font. The one I hate -- Jokerman. Who'd use that one?

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soccer:
Kind of off-topic, but what font does your work or school usually look at as the best. At my high school, teachers said they wanted essays and such in any readable, not real fancy font, and that usually came along with the suggestions of, "Think of times new roman or courier."

Correspondence is required to be in Times New Roman (fine with me, I like that font). E-mail is user's choice, but most people at work stick with the default in Outlook, whatever that is (I changed mine to TNR).
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nighthawk

I hate that font. I have a friend who writes his essays in Comic Sans.
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Tahoma all the time now. I'm sick of Arial and TNR. And it actually takes up less width than either. (I just did a comparison typing out the alphabet.)

I don't like Comic Sans either, for two reasons - one is personal (reminds me of a person I don't like who used it) and the other is that it's just over done. It's everywhere. Unfortunately I think Technical is getting to that point, too, which I find sad because I like that font.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages