snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Baby killed in microwave

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baby killed in microwave
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A potentially true version of Wasted and Basted

Police: Baby Might Have Been Microwaved
quote:
An infant girl who died in August 2005 of a high body temperature might have been put in a microwave, and her mother has been charged in the death, authorities said Tuesday.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So we have the baby, but where's the poodle?

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am wondering why the babysitter has not been tagged as a suspect - I wish they had gone more into detail. Depending on the length of time the baby was in there and other things, the death could have been a delayed reaction from the previous night. Maybe they did look into it, but the story doesn't say.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as I read this topic the guy on ABC News on the radio reported this story. The parents are being charged on one count of murder.

TurbanMan

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My word!!

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=169628

The babys father, Terrell Talley, said his daughter was fine when he and Arnold arrived home after leaving her in the care of the baby sitter, his sister.

When I went in the house, my baby was sitting in the car seat, she was asleep and she was alive, he said. The baby sitter aint had nothing to do with it.

Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The article also says the baby's burns were internal and there were no visible burns. It's possible the baby was not fine when Arnold arrived home.

The articles don't give enough reasons why they suspect the mom and not the babysitter or father.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
The article also says the baby's burns were internal and there were no visible burns. It's possible the baby was not fine when Arnold arrived home.

The articles don't give enough reasons why they suspect the mom and not the babysitter or father.

I seriously doubt the baby would have appeared fine when the parents came if she'd truly been put through a microwave. The internal heat would have also damaged the heart muscles and most likely she wouldn't have survived.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]I seriously doubt the baby would have appeared fine when the parents came if she'd truly been put through a microwave. [/QB][/QUOTE]

It really depends on where in her body the burns were. Not to get too graphic, but it could have, for example, caused one burn in her stomach that caused a slow internal leakage of toxic material to the rest of her body.

EDIT Sorry I'm new, I don't know the right way to do a quote.

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Buckleupp welcome to the board!

Get yourself along to initiation to learn all the tricks for using the codes. The full reply form should help when posting. If you select the quote button on this post you will see the codes you need.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GreenJeanz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreenJeanz   E-mail GreenJeanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never really thought that the baby in a microwave story would ever come true. [Frown]
Posts: 35 | From: GA, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, this isn't the only case. There was a woman a few years ago sentenced to five years in prison for killing her son in the microwave.
Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I see one of these, I just want to hold Toddler Moon just a little bit tighter....

Lady "horrified" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay I'm not around babies like EVER but um how could you fit a baby in a microwave? Are one month old babies that small?

Anyway this is terrible, why the NFBSK would you do that? I mean if you want to kill a baby (And I'm not saying I would do that ever) aren't there other ways?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Monica

Yes, they're that small. most of the time.

My oldest (who was also too early, like my baby was) was exactly 2 feet long at birth. My youngest was 13 inches.

Curled up, yes, they fit in a microwave.

And i know this because I found one of Princess Moon #1's dolls -- 13 inches long -- curled up inside the microwave one day. Had a LONG talk with that child....

Lady "disturbed" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
Okay I'm not around babies like EVER but um how could you fit a baby in a microwave? Are one month old babies that small?

Anyway this is terrible, why the NFBSK would you do that? I mean if you want to kill a baby (And I'm not saying I would do that ever) aren't there other ways?

~Monica

Well, yes, of course there are other ways. Babies are pretty helpless; one could kill one by pretty much any method one chose. But people who do kill babies tend to be not exactly in their right minds, so who knows why they choose the methods they do?

NOnny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buckleupp:

EDIT Sorry I'm new, I don't know the right way to do a quote.

The "/" only goes on the closing tag.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When Mom told me about this I just felt like barfing. [Frown]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages