snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Son finds dad's old bones in bed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Son finds dad's old bones in bed
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Estranged from his father, a gay Brooklyn man came home to make peace, only to make a horrifying discovery: His mother had been hiding his dad's corpse in the family's apartment for three years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/473871p-398555c.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
niner domestic actual
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for niner domestic actual   E-mail niner domestic actual   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a similar story up here in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/11/27/halpern-fridge.html

--------------------
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 47 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In BED?! As in, she was sleeping next to his bones at night? Oh man, that is all kinds of wrong.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not read your Faulkner lately?
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:

Not if I can help it.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Dad, poor Dad, mother's got you lying in bed...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds like a short story I read in high school or middle school...but now I can't think of the title...is it ringing any bells for anyone else?

--------------------

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read that story:

"Human skeleton for sale. One owner."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings,

You might be thinking of “A Rose For Emily,” a short story authored by William Faulkner. Brandi alluded to it a few posts up:

quote:

This sounds like a short story I read in high school or middle school...but now I can't think of the title...is it ringing any bells for anyone else?

A quick Google search didn’t turn up a full version of the story, but here is the Cliff Notes summery for A Rose For Emily. If someone does stumble on the whole thing, and it doesn’t require anything shady, I’d love to give it another read. I really must get a library card in my new town!

ETA: I found a full version of "A Rose For Emily."

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Rachael
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Rachael   Author's Homepage   E-mail Little Rachael   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:

Not if I can help it.
Ha! I caught that reference.

"A Rose for Emily." Great story.

On topic...Man, that would freak me out. Especially when I think about the kind of people my parents are...totally unexpected.

--------------------
If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.

Posts: 6 | From: Alaska | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 301 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae:
In BED?! As in, she was sleeping next to his bones at night? Oh man, that is all kinds of wrong.

Damn straight it's wrong. Everyone knows you keep the bodies in the freezer. I'll get it [fish]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ComicBookGeek

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ComicBookGeek     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Faulkner wrote "A Rose for Emily"? Man, then why did I LIKE that story?

--------------------
My Blog

Posts: 177 | From: Mobile, AL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ComicBookGeek:
Faulkner wrote "A Rose for Emily"? Man, then why did I LIKE that story?

Some novelists I'm indifferent to at best do fine work in shorter fiction. (Stephen King, for example)
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by KDS:
Greetings,

You might be thinking of “A Rose For Emily,” a short story authored by William Faulkner. Brandi alluded to it a few posts up:

quote:

A quick Google search didn’t turn up a full version of the story, but here is the Cliff Notes summery for A Rose For Emily. If someone does stumble on the whole thing, and it doesn’t require anything shady, I’d love to give it another read. I really must get a library card in my new town!

ETA: I found a full version of "A Rose For Emily."

Yes! That was it. Though now I feel kind of dumb for not realizing that Brandi mentioned it and it went right over my head [dunce]
Oh, and thanks for the link!

--------------------

PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read that story for the first time. Thanks KDS for posting the link. I liked it quite a lot, but I'm kinda morbid like that.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a short story in a horror anthology like that. The story, I suppose this is a spoiler if someone comes across the story, has a man making love to this wife. He's been hiding her out since she supposedly killed the kids, and comments on how the sex -- and the marriage in general -- is better now. The doorbell rings, and it's the police. In his hand is one of the wife's withered, decaying breasts.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chilling, ChelleGame. Was it really the wife who killed the kids (and then the man who killed the wife) or was it the man who killed the whole family? Both are pretty creepy endings.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Chilling, ChelleGame. Was it really the wife who killed the kids (and then the man who killed the wife) or was it the man who killed the whole family? Both are pretty creepy endings.

Because it was told from the husband's point of view, and because he was mental, it was unclear. My interpretation was the man did killed the family, but it was not explicitly stated.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages