snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Teddy bear park murder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teddy bear park murder
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Received an email from a friend about a family playing in a park.
As father followed his child playing about, the mother sat on a park
bench. A distraught man was crying for his daughter. The mother began
looking and calling. Then the man, bent over in grief, showed her the lost
child's teddy bear. As the woman bent over to look, the man punched
her,dragged her into the woods, killed her, and later put her body into
the trunk of his car. He took the body to another remote area, buried her
up to her neck, and visited her every day to brush her hair and put
lipstick on her.
This is supposed to come from a TV show that was based on a real
incident. True?? It seems to me to be only another legend made up to make
people scared to help anyone.
What is your take on this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems plausible to me. Why not?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Criminal Minds, episode " The Last Word," airdate November 15, 2006.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Strange,

It's a widely accepted theory that fictional crimes in TV shows and movies can (I say *can*) inspire "copycat" crimes in real life.

What we see more and more is fictional crimes in TV shows and movies presented as facts on the Internet.

While I can figure out the first case (deranged criminals being fascinated and re-creating what they saw on TV), I really wonder about the motivation behind the second.

The satisfaction of telling a good, if tall, story ?

Or just the will to spread fear and insecurity ?

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly people see (or hear about) the show, then later on the forget the source but remember some of the details, and confuse the fictional cases with reality.
There's no need to assume malice when ignorance is just as likely.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
There's no need to assume malice when ignorance is just as likely.

That's a great saying. I agree, most of the time. [Wink]

I didn't think Criminal Minds was one of those "Ripped from the Headlines" tv shows like Law and Order is, but maybe they did for this one.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TV.com has an Ask Writer Jim forum for Criminal Minds. I was going to ask if this episode was based on a specific real-life case, but I'm only a level 1 user and can't use the boards yet. So if anyone else has an account there, you can ask him.

(And let me take this opportunity to thank snopes for making this message board easy to work with. I didn't mind having to wait a few days to get my registration approved here, but with TV.com who knows how long it will take till I'm a level 2. [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diabolus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diabolus   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep in mind, when a TV show/movie says "inspired by/based on true events" they're taking as much license as they want. I mean, just one element of a true story can "inspire" a whole new fictional story. For instance, someone's death could be the only thing that "inspires" the story. Not even the circumstances surrounding it, just the death itself.

--------------------
Once you truly understand why you reject all other gods, you'll understand why I reject all gods.

Posts: 3 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
Seems plausible to me. Why not?

The main point of implausibility to me would be the details known only to the killer. The woman was killed almost imediately in the story, no one else would have seen the sucker punch and dragging off or it would have been a much shorty story, and how would anyone know exactly what he did every day that he visited? Since I can't imagine a lot of circumstances where it would be advantageous for a killer to volunteer these sort of creepy/damning insights, I assume it to be on the long end of "dramatised" or flat out fiction.
Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages