snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » The "haunted house" no one ever gets through

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "haunted house" no one ever gets through
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to see if there was any "truth" to this attraction being real. IIRC there is supposed to be a haunted house attraction in Atlanta or in GA itself that if you make it through all the levels (more than 3?) you win $$
However, no one EVER makes it past the 3rd level. Also they supposedly have barking & snapping dogs chained just barely before they bite. Anyone hear of something like this?

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Haunted House a Chow

I haven't heard of the barking dogs but that would be enough to keep me away.

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Darn it, I've been pre-emptively spanked!

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awesome my first spanking!

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I work at Netherworld in Atlanta (number 2 haunted house in the country, if anyone is interested www.fearworld.com) and we hear this one all the time. Big UL. Supposedly 13 stories, blah blah, really scary, etc etc. and if you make it out you either get your money back, or $50 or something along those lines. I've heard many variations. There was a haunt that lasted one year here in Atlanta (last year I believe) who tried to capitalize on the UL. They called themselves "13 stories" without clarifying. It was actually 13 rooms with a different "story" for each room. Alot of disappointed patrons. Needless to say, the word spread, and they didn't reopen this year.

(edited for spelling)

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked at the Pasaje Del Terror, Blackpool.( http://www.coastergrotto.com/photo.jsp?pic=36r39.jpg ) most people got through to the end but we did have to mop the floor a lot.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found out that the 13 stories haunted house did reopen this year. ::sigh:: I just checked their message board, and low and behold, it is packed with people asking every question imaginable that revolves around the urban legend. It really bugs me that they have tried to capitalize on the UL and are leaving people confused and disappointed.
Here is a link to the message board. http://members2.boardhost.com/horrorhill/msg/1160678735.html

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 101 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kallrynne:
There was a haunt that lasted one year here in Atlanta (last year I believe) who tried to capitalize on the UL. They called themselves "13 stories" without clarifying. It was actually 13 rooms with a different "story" for each room. Alot of disappointed patrons. Needless to say, the word spread, and they didn't reopen this year.

If patrons can't figure out by looking at a building that it's not 13 stories tall, they've got no reason to be disappointed. Smacked upside the head with a fish, yes; disappointed, no.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 203 posted      Profile for kallrynne   E-mail kallrynne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
quote:
Originally posted by kallrynne:
There was a haunt that lasted one year here in Atlanta (last year I believe) who tried to capitalize on the UL. They called themselves "13 stories" without clarifying. It was actually 13 rooms with a different "story" for each room. Alot of disappointed patrons. Needless to say, the word spread, and they didn't reopen this year.

If patrons can't figure out by looking at a building that it's not 13 stories tall, they've got no reason to be disappointed. Smacked upside the head with a fish, yes; disappointed, no.
This is true! But after reading some of the messages on that message board, I can't truely expect most of the patrons to be able to come to a logical conclusion on their own. Deductive reasoning is a hard concept for some people to grasp.
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I had the money I think I cool way of setting up a haunted house would be for each group of say 15 have three "ringers"(people who were working for the house)

Make sure all doors automatically close so no one can see into the next room until they get there(or go back unless you let them)...all cell phones taken from the group to be returned AFTER their little visit in your house of horrors

Start off really lame so some of the more macho guys are making wisecracks about how UN-scary everything looks

Then...

One of your people(one wearing a fake arm) could have it pulled off by one of the up to then "cheesy" monsters who pops out and grabs the arm and yanks it off with oodles of fake blood spurting all over

Have one of your guys close to the next room and he runs ahead of everyone and slams the door(rig door so it takes enough time to set up next bloody stunt)...he will wear garish easily IDed clothing....they'd hear a scream and a WHAP...by the time they get door open they see a decapitated body wearing the same clothes slowly being pulled by the ankle by some masked creature carrying an ax with your guy in a cubbyhole with just his head sticking out of the floor(and prosthetics around the neck to look like it had been sliced off...much blood again)...he'd be looking at the others and moving his eyes and lips and whispering "RUN!"

Now the group is really scared and they try to get out the way they came in(thinking it's safe)...maybe to panic them more play the sounds of heavy footsteps and screams and cackles coming towards them

Since your last ringer has known all along what was going to happen it should be easy enough to make sure he's where you want him...the last door they came through will not open so he tries another one and runs through and falls into a pit with rubber(but looks real to everyone) spikes and by the time the rest see him he's writhing about supposedly impaled on those deadly spikes(some of the spikes looking like they have gone right through him but have been under his clothes the whole time...need I say it...more blood)

Give them a few seconds to absorb the sight then open a door to the outside so they all scramble out

I'll leave how the rest plays out to you but I do have some ideas involving fake cops who are called to investigate and it only gets worse for the next bunch who go into the house

And that's what I'd do if I were rich and it was Halloween

And yes I do kind of like Halloween...why do you ask?

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really want people to run, have one or two ringers who start the running as well. Once people start running, nobody wants to be the last.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you really want people to run, have one or two ringers who start the running as well. Once people start running, nobody wants to be the last.
My brother had something like that happen to him when he went to a haunted house deal in Universal Studios Orlando a year or two ago. The entire building was pitch black, so you couldn't see where you're going. He & his gal were in the front of the group, and went a little ahead of the others, and ended up walking smack into a wall. They were feeling for a door or turn, but couldn't find one.

Someone from the haunted house popped out from somewhere (not in a costume or as a scare) and told them they were at a wall and to turn around, the turn to the next room was such-and-such a way. Of course, by this time, the rest of the crowd spotted my brother, and ran in his direction, and they all started smacking into the wall. They yelled at him to open the door, and no amount of telling them there wasn't one would help. He finally turned around and went the way the employee told him, and everyone in the group followed him closely the rest of the attraction.

Trish "Sure, he won't take me to Skull Kingdom, but he does this every year without me" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

At Netherworld, we have used crowd plants before. Usually someone rather small and otherwise cute. One year, we had the monster grab her up and toss her to another monster and disappear with her. Varying things like that. We did actually have a plant dressed like a mutilated corpse that was in one room and have him snatched up before they got to the room. This works great in the early part of the season, but once mid october hits, when there are thousands going through the house each night, it gets rather impractical. We now have "lot monsters" to entertain the crowds while they are waiting for an hour plus outside. Much more entertaining on a larger scale than one or two people planted among a couple thousand. I love having plants in the crowd, I just wished it would work on a grander scale.
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a message from someone on myspace about this thread the other day, I'm not trying to bash you but your profile is underage & private so I can't message you. I was going to tell you I was chowed & there's no use looking for it. See the second thread in the topic.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kallrynne
I Saw Three Shipments

Squishy, who were you refering to? I am aware of the chow, I'm commenting on a haunt in Atlanta that is using the UL to promote itself by using the name 13 Stories. I'm not looking for the haunt. I know all about it. Who were you trying to look up on myspace? Sorry, was confused by your post. [Smile]
Monkster
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkster   E-mail Monkster   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He's refering to the person on myspace who msged him about this thread, he can't return the msg because the persons profile is private, so he is posting here to tell the person that the info they require is on the other thread, in the hope that the person who msged him will see the post.

Did that make sense? Because it only vagualy makes sense to me hehe.

Posts: 147 | From: Queensland Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages