snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Can sandstorms rip your skin off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can sandstorms rip your skin off
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 81 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ive heard before that a sandstorm can scrape your skin off if you get caught in it. However does anyone know ifthis is true or not

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know snadblasters can take ANYTHING off ANYTHING, but those might deal with velocities much higher than a sandstorm. So it is at least possible.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds possible, but suspicious.

Remember the episode of Star Trek in which the women showed the miners they could hang their dirty pots and pans in the wind to be sandblasted?

Hard objects like metal, glass, and stone can be etched by sharp, wind-borne particles - sand - but the human skin (and clothing) is flexible and resilient, and should withstand minor exposure to abrasive effects of wind and sand at realistic natural speeds for realistic durations. Camels survive, right?

It sounds like a question for livescience.com, but I'm too lazy to do it right now.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been in an intense sandstorm while in Afghanistan. And except for the fact that the dust and dirt gets everywhere, my skin was fine. I had sand in my ears and black boogers for days afterwards.

I received worse from the rotor blast when being picked up by a Chinook helicopter. That did hurt, but my skin was not ripped off.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been caught with exposed skin in severe sandstorms - I would liken the feeling to a burn, it bloody hurts, and given time sand will erode anything. Saw coke bottles worn smooth in the Sahara.

A lot depends on the material being blown and it's velocity - I was burned and we're talking gusts of about 40 knots i'd estimate. A western Saharan katabatic storm can blow sand at over 100 knots - i'd imagine any human skin exposed to that would suffer more than sandburn...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
desertdweller
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller   E-mail desertdweller   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in the middle east, I have been caught in several sandstorms. It's not a lot of fun, but, other than eye and sinus irritation, nothing to be concerned about.

My skin always remained intact.

--------------------
Just singin' in the Bahrain

Posts: 49 | From: Manama, Bahrain | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once read an account, which I cannot cite, of a man who was caught outside on a sandlot baseball field when a tornado hit. According to the account, the force of the sand being whipped around by the tornado removed paint from his truck and mutilated his features.

But a tornado hitting a field of sand would, I imagine, involve far more intense forces than the typical sandstorm.

Edited for grammar.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was brought up in Somalia. For several weeks of the year there was a wind called the Karif (spelling?) which caused daily sandstorms.
I used to love chasing the mini tornadoes we called dust devils. If you ran into the path of one it nearly lifted you off your feet.

The sand didn't rip off my tender young skin but it did get everywhere and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it damaged my teeth because it got into our food. Everything crunched when you ate it which was grim.

The main problem I recall was eye irritation and conjunctivitis was common problem.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah... without ever having been in a sandstorm, I would wager a guess that it would HURT like a NFBSKer, but you wouldn't be flayed alive (a la the poor buggers in the first Predator movie).

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the ULMB, desertdweller! We're glad you're still in your skin! [Smile]

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been blasted by a sand blaster used for stripping rust and paint from metal which could easily eat straight through sheet metal if used carelessly. Granted, I got blasted at two meters, but that should still be more than any sandstorm can do. I still have skin.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages