snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Starving dog fed on human remains

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starving dog fed on human remains
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one for the "animal eats dead owner" file. This one's genuine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6040984.stm

A starving dog was forced to eat the remains of his owners after the man (82) died from natural causes and his bedridden wife (71) was unable to summon help and died. Police were called to the couple's home after a postman noticed the overflowing letterbox and the emaciated German Shepherd dog.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at least it wasn't 5 years later.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
Another one for the "animal eats dead owner" file. This one's genuine.

Is there a big problem with fake "animal eats dead owner" stories ? [Confused] I am always fairly unsuprised by them, if you are left without food near a dead body it seems like the sensible thing to do, and animals don't have the sentiment or taboos we have... But maybe I have been automatically believing absolute rubbish.

On a somewhat related note - my absolute favourite news article and later correction comes from Fortean Times magazine - which printed one month a story about the incredible loyalty of a dog who had stayed by his dead masters body for weeks. The next month they published a correction stating that the inquest had shown that the dog had in fact been eating the body...

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've no problems with the "animal eats dead owner" concept (after all, we're just meat when we die). I'm amused that pet-eats-body is often told as UL, presumably because we don't want to believe they would eat us.

I have no problem with the idea of my cat(s) eating me though their cat flap means they'd probably go elsewhere for "real cat food". I'd hate them to be shut in and starving after my leftovers are inedible.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh-oh. Here I was thinking that when I'm sick and my cat spends the whole day sitting next to me, it's some kind of special empathy. Now I realise she's just waiting for me to drop dead so she can snack on my corpse...

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Mine don't even wait for me to fall sick ... and I thought they were grooming me or doing little love bites [Big Grin]

Somewhere there's a quote that suggests civilised people are all only 3 square meals away from savagery. Cats measure domestic vs savage in terms of getting/not getting second helpings on time [lol]

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the saddest part is the wife, who was unable to leave/get assistance when her husband died.

But if the dog was feeding upon the bodies, why was he emaciated?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall reading about something like this in a cheap tabloid about 18 years ago. This young man imprisoned his grandmother--he lived alone with her--in her house. He sealed her up alone with her pet dog. She had diabetes and died quickly as a result of not being able to get her insulin shot. Her dog survived by eating her flesh--her legs and feet that is. And when the police and firemen rescued the dog and found its owner's corpse, the pet looked much better than she did.

BTW, her grandson killed her because she was always nagging him.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
Her dog survived by eating her flesh--her legs and feet that is. And when the police and firemen rescued the dog and found its owner's corpse, the pet looked much better than she did.

[lol] OK I know I'm sick - but that comparison makes me laugh. The dog versus corpse-with-eaten-legs beauty contest.

I'm very very sick. Sorry. If there was a hanging your head in shame smiley I would use.

quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
I've no problems with the "animal eats dead owner" concept (after all, we're just meat when we die). I'm amused that pet-eats-body is often told as UL, presumably because we don't want to believe they would eat us.

I wasn't trying to accuse you of having a problem with the concept. I just hadn't noticed lots of fake pet-eats-dead-owner stories and urban legends around. Either I missed them completely or I beleived them.

Do you have any examples ? (So I can find out how much of a fool I've been).

Victoria J

--------------------

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
I think the saddest part is the wife, who was unable to leave/get assistance when her husband died.

But if the dog was feeding upon the bodies, why was he emaciated?

At a guess the owners were fairly skinny (being elderly) and our hot summers probably meant the bodies quickly became either very rotten or very dried out. The dog was probably dehydrated as well. I hope it got a home. It only did that for survival.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I came to terms with the possibility my pets consider me walking lunch long ago. At the animal shelter where I worked, this was far from an unusual scenario.

Occasionally some of the animals would make it up for adoption with an explanation: Owner Died.

Now you know the whole story. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StillandSilent
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StillandSilent   E-mail StillandSilent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has happened a couple of times here. The last one was a little weiner dog who ate part of her elderly owner after he died of natural causes. Despite it being a natural thing, we were all so grossed out that we sent her to have her teeth cleaned at the vet and still wouldn't let her kiss us.
Posts: 75 | From: Morganton NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've already given my cats permission to eat me should i ever drop dead in my apartment. I want them to do whatever they need to do to keep themselves going till they're found.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venus:
I've already given my cats permission to eat me should i ever drop dead in my apartment. I want them to do whatever they need to do to keep themselves going till they're found.

There is surely a market there for a new legal form - a living will for pet owners. [lol]

Victoria J

--------------------

Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the 'stigma' here is that we expect our pets to love us to the end - and beyond. And the thought that "we're just Fido's meat" doesn't work well with that thought.

In truth, the poor dog probably sat there, starving, for days at the owner's feet before realizing he had to do what he had to do... Or at least that's what we pet owners would like to believe...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venus:

Being cats, I'm not sure they'll behave any differently than if they didn't have permission. As Data said "They do not respond to verbal commands" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
Being cats, I'm not sure they'll behave any differently than if they didn't have permission.

Being cats they'd enjoy it more if they didn't have permission.

Victoria J

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages