snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Man may have been dead 4 years in apartment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man may have been dead 4 years in apartment
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A landlord in Austria wasn't getting any answers to his letters to a tenant, announcing a rent increase.

So, he unlocked the apartment and went inside -- and found that the tenant had been dead for quite a while.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1003austria-dead03-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Neighbors apparently didn't think it was unusual to see junk mail piling up outside his door.

4 years of Junk mail? I don't think so. Maybe a month or so, but that's just ridiculous.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lapis Lazuli
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lapis Lazuli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say-- as someone who used to manage an apartment building, and who has had the misfortune of finding dead tenants... it sure as heck wouldn't take four years for neighbours to start complaining about the smell.

Doesn't mummification require a special process, or do they just mean they found him in his bed, decomposed?

--------------------
Your pants will be legendary, even in Hell.

Posts: 113 | From: Ottawa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeMerick
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeMerick   Author's Homepage   E-mail DeMerick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mummification occurs in arid settings. I don't know how Austria stands when it comes to humidity, though (and I'm too tired to look it up...) I have a link to an article about decomposition, skeletonization and mummification by Arpad Vass if anyone's interested. My morbid mind is fascinated by it.

--------------------
"Writing is a dog's life, but it's the only life worth living." Flaubert

Posts: 11 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lapis Lazuli:
Doesn't mummification require a special process, or do they just mean they found him in his bed, decomposed?

Low humidity is the most important thing, and a lack of exposure to bugs and predators. If the air conditioner was left on, it could have kept the air dry enough that the body dried out. Could have also happened if Austria naturally has very low humidity.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vienna has a central-european climate. Summers can be pretty warm, and winters tend to be cold and dry. But it's far from Egypt or Arizona. To this I may add that air conditioners in apartments are extremely rare in Europe (they are more frequent in modern industrial buildings). There's simply no need for them.

I've heard of similar cases, but the people had been dead for months, not years. And apparently, very skinny people may dry instead of rotting under certain conditions. It's quite strange no one noticed (I mean the power supply or telephone company, the post office, the pensions administration etc.)... and by the way, who paid the rent during all this time ? Usually, a tenant who doesn't pay will hear from his landlord at once, not after four years !... but then again, maybe he had his rent paid automatically by the bank. Anyway. There are too many details that won't fit.

I say : bunk. (or it was a much shorter period of time)

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The article said his rent was paid automaticly from the bank where his pension was direct deposited.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annabohly:
The article said his rent was paid automaticly from the bank where his pension was direct deposited.

And utilities may have been included in the rent. I can't believe nobody noticed four years' worth of mail, though.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by annabohly:

And utilities may have been included in the rent. I can't believe nobody noticed four years' worth of mail, though.
Oooops [Embarrassed] - I confess I just overflew the article and started to google for the story in German at once (didn't find anything, though).

About the mail, maybe the postmen are under instructions to remove it after a while and put it aside at the post office when they notice it's piling up too high or if the mailbox is bursting.

Anyway, it's a weird story. If it's true after all, the poor guy must have looked like his fellow countryman "Ötzi" the Iceman.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabcere
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cabcere   E-mail Cabcere   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeMerick:
Mummification occurs in arid settings. I don't know how Austria stands when it comes to humidity, though (and I'm too tired to look it up...) I have a link to an article about decomposition, skeletonization and mummification by Arpad Vass if anyone's interested. My morbid mind is fascinated by it.

I would definitely be interested in that article, DeMerick. I just finished reading "Death's Acre" by Dr. Bill Bass, and he mentioned some of Vass' work...needless to say, my morbid mind is fascinated by it as well. [Razz]

Regarding the original article...very interesting. Some of the details seem a little "off" to me, too - the four years worth of junk mail, the mummification, etc. - but I wouldn't rule any of it out as "impossible." *fights urge to make a stupid joke about improbability drives* [fish]

Posts: 56 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
not sure about Austria, but in the three years we lived in Germany almost all our bills were paid directly from our bank account and we had virtually no junk mail. I think it's certainly feasible, especially if someone was reclusive and elderly. It seems that I read a few stories like this every year so it's not such an isolated incident.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cabcere, jokes about improbibility drives are only allowed if there was a dead kitten in the heap of junk mail. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabcere
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cabcere   E-mail Cabcere   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
Cabcere, jokes about improbibility drives are only allowed if there was a dead kitten in the heap of junk mail. [Big Grin]

Damn, and here I thought I was safe with the whale and the bowl of petunias. [dunce]

[/thread hijacking]

Posts: 56 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the neighbars have been collecting his Junkmail because appearantly it wasn't that uncommon for him to be away for some time. Since it was said that he spent a lot of time at his girlfriends home.

Which is why the couple wasn't worried with not catching him.

And yes the postmen do collect the mail if the postbox is overflowing.

About the wheather...it has been pretty humid in the last 2 years. And getting worse with each year. At least for Austrian normal standarts.

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages