snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » 666-6666 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 666-6666
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard from several people that if you call the number
"666-6666" on Halloween you get a special creepy recorded message. I've
never actually had the nerve to try it myself, and I'm wondering if it's
true.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For what area code? Maybe someone with a lot of time on his hands can check every area code for the number... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan, wasn't that you who dialed Jenny's number in all possible area codes?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
elfbunny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elfbunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try it with 419 area code. It should work for both numbers. I know it works for Jenny's number. And 666 is an exchange in Rossford, OH. [Wink]

--------------------
http://my.tupperware.com/ajd325

Posts: 78 | From: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
666 is also an exchange in Akron, OH.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
666 is also an exchange in northern NJ.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack Thompson's number begins with 666 (well, after the area code), which I believe is in Florida. If you don't know who is (lucky you), he's an anti video game kook.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
666 is also an exchange in northern NJ.

Westwood, right?
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
666 is an exchange in Brooksville or Dade City in Florida - somewhere in Hernando County
Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
666 is also the area code and exchange in HELL!!!! [Eek!]

[lol]

Sorry, I had to!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skippytoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skippytoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is the number for a taxi service in NYC. I think 666 is the exchange for Hillsdale, NJ.

--------------------
In the wheelchair people tower above me
Why doesn't God love me?
-M.C. Evil Jesus

Posts: 158 | From: Queens, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know a guy in Toronto whose number started with 666.

Of course, he turned out to be not a very good friend, so the number was strangely appropriate.

At least, it matched what I thought of him. Lousy little ...

[Wink]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also the exchange for Towson/Cockeysville, MD which could be easily compared to Hell, especially during rush hour.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
666 is the exchange for Gresham, OR. There actually is a number in Gresham that is registered as 666-6666 (I used a reverse look-up to find it) but it didn't give a name.

On the other hand 777-7777 is a nursery/landscaper in Portland. Portland and Gresham are right next to each other - to the point where it's difficult to know where one ends and the other begins. It makes me wonder what the number for purgatory is.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it makes sense for someone to register 666-6666 and then put a spooky message of some sort on it...
The Chicago Tribune's phone number is 222-2222 so my brother who works for them sometimes gives this out as his work number, but for some reason people never believe it's real...

Apparently the University of San Francisco also had the 666 exchange.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought hell *was* in New Jersey? Or at least robot hell.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
I thought hell *was* in New Jersey? Or at least robot hell.

[Big Grin] According to Futurama. Do I get points for that?

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news everyone!

Absolutely. Anybody who recognizes a Futurama reference deserves infinite points (don't spend them all in one place.)

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Michigian's Hell is the only Hell that freezes over every winter [Razz]

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Except for the one in Norway, I would imagine...

(edit) And the lowest two circles of Dante's vision of Hell are permanently frozen anyway...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So Richard, there's a town in Norway too then?

--------------------

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

--------------------

LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the OP, there used to be an advertisement when i was in my teens that started "Do you like to be scared?" and went on about calling some number, "If you really want to be scared..." I think my brother may remember the entire thing (he always went around repeating the commercial) so I will ask him if it gave that number.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I know that Freddy Krueger used to have an 900-number and there was a commercial about it,so maybe that is what your brother was repeating?
Info here.
(edited to remove redundancy.)

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cubbie:

There is indeed... I know about it because my brother went there once and sent me a postcard.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
666 is the exchange for Gresham, OR. There actually is a number in Gresham that is registered as 666-6666 (I used a reverse look-up to find it) but it didn't give a name.

On the other hand 777-7777 is a nursery/landscaper in Portland. Portland and Gresham are right next to each other - to the point where it's difficult to know where one ends and the other begins. It makes me wonder what the number for purgatory is.

Well, the area code for Purgatory is 970; after that, it depends on whom you're trying to reach.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Originally posted by cubbie:

There is indeed... I know about it because my brother went there once and sent me a postcard.
Hell, Norway and Hell, Michigan have much in common.

Although, we're the ones with the comic book

Aura - who went to Hell and literally only got a lousy t-shirt saying "I went to Hell and all I got was this lously t-shirt"

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. There's no such number in Rhode Island. The closest you'll get to Hell here is possibly Onleyville.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Our Hell is better than Norway's. We even had a party on 6-6-06.

--------------------

Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try 606 for the area code. My husband used to live in Jackson, KY and that was his exchange.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The University of San Francisco(Jesuit) used to have the 666 prefix at one time when I worked there my work number was 666-6666 I got lots of calls from kids playing with the phone or people sitting on their hand-phones. USF Giving Satan's Number The Pitchfork
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The subscription address for the NATIONAL REVIEW is P.O. Box 666, Mt. Morris,IL [Wink]
Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
666 is also an exchange in Akron, OH.

I remember several years ago, when I still lived at home, reading an article about a family who were extremely displeased about having the Devil's phone number, and their attempts to have it changed.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I've heard from several people that if you call the number
"666-6666" on Halloween you get a special creepy recorded message. I've
never actually had the nerve to try it myself, and I'm wondering if it's
true.

I'm the type of person who would try that, just out of curiosity. And I think I will. [Eek!]

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a brief update- my brother visited today and I asked him about the old commercial. He did indeed remember the entirety but it was not a 666 number.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages