snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Book of Death

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book of Death
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I saw a question on a Q&A forum about a book (or a story that contained
a reference to a book) whose readers died after reading it. Do you know
of any such story or book (real or legendary)? Thank you.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jelly Bean Queen
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Jelly Bean Queen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...it's not a book...it's actually a forum about urban legends...hang on...What was the subject of this forum again?...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh [Eek!]

--------------------
Something witty yet profound that makes me look smarter than I am.

Posts: 51 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it was a joke book...

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's said that L. Ron Hubbard claimed to have written a book titled "Excalibur" that caused those who read it (or at least a large precentage thereof) to commit suicide.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Mission Earth" apparently has a similar effect.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Necronomicon?
Which an alarming number of people actually believe exists?

Although I'm not sure if that kills you or just makes you go mad.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Chicken Soup For The Soul" nearly did me in.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Novelization of "The Ring"??

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you all speaking out of Pride or Prejudice [Wink]

ETA: Bood of the Dead

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forceflow15
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forceflow15     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chuck pulakak (spelling please) wrote a book about a book that killed everyone who read it. He is hte guy who wrote fight club, and I believe the book is called lullaby.

--------------------
Forceflow

"There was Joye in the courtroom, but he slipped on a-peel." = Prof. Kutner

Posts: 101 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:
The Necronomicon?
Which an alarming number of people actually believe exists?

Although I'm not sure if that kills you or just makes you go mad.

The Necronomicon exists, it just doesn't open doors into hell and all that good stuff.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by forceflow15:
Chuck pulakak (spelling please) wrote a book about a book that killed everyone who read it. He is hte guy who wrote fight club, and I believe the book is called lullaby.

I thought it only killed people if it was read aloud? It was supposed to be linked to SIDS. All the babies who had the lullaby read to them ended up dying.
Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to say that book by Sutter Cane, but that didn't kill ya, it just made you insane and then you killed everybody else...

Trish "Sam Neill, telling it like he's been to the Glurge gallery" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 81 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
****Edit: In regards to the novel, Lullaby. Trish snuck in on me.****

This was a favorite of mine a couple of years ago, so I'll try to get this right.

The (anti)hero of the novel is a journalist researching a series of recent SIDS deaths. He discovers that in the home of each of the families is a cerain book of lullabys. In the book is an old African culling song. The song, when read or even thought at a particular person, causes their death.
quote:
Novelization of "The Ring"??
Funny you should mention that actually, because The Ring was, in fact, based upon a novel.

P.S. Chuck Palahniuk [Smile]

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ethan Frome nearly did me in. And I'll read anything...

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I saw a question on a Q&A forum about a book (or a story that contained
a reference to a book) whose readers died after reading it. Do you know
of any such story or book (real or legendary)? Thank you.

I think it is Robert W. Chambers "The King in Yellow".

http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/literature/chambers/stories/kinginye/contents.htm

And here a few more explanations :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

The cursed book that will cause its readers to go crazy or die a horrible death is a favorite of the horror literature.

Another dangerous read might be the mysterious egyptian Book of Thoth, whose readers are punished by the gods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Thoth

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
The song, when read or even thought at a particular person, causes their death.

So how did the author of the book know of it without dying?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the closest thing I can think of is "The Sorrows of Young Werther" by Goethe, however, suicide was anything but a sure thing. But at least this was real.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
The song, when read or even thought at a particular person, causes their death.

So how did the author of the book know of it without dying?
I believe the song has to be read/thought to you. Just reading it yourself won't do you in, someone has to direct your way. It's actually pretty funny. In the novel it's not the murderers and rapists he uses the song on, but the random annoying people we all encounter throughout the day.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But when they were translating the book into german, did each translator just work on one word each?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Wenn is die nunstuck git ein slottermeyer? Ja! Bayerhundt die oder der flipperwalt gespuckt!"

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
omnigeist
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 402 posted      Profile for omnigeist   E-mail omnigeist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
/unlurk
This is one of the things that really interested me during some of my "looking up things for no reason then following the related stories thing" I do when I'm bored (How I found this site too), not sure what I was looking for originally, but I found this and it was really cool. It is a pretty common theme in stories and is referred to as a motif of harmful sensation, which means that doing some normally mundane thing becomes supernaturally bad. wiki

omnigeist
/relurk

Posts: 11 | From: Union Mills, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages