snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Disabled man's car breaks down; he dies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disabled man's car breaks down; he dies
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I once heard about a disabled man whose car broke down and,
because he was disabled, I guess, didn't leave his van, was found dead in
his car something like 10 days later because no one stopped to help him. I
was told this story in the course of discussion about what to do when your
car breaks down, stay with it, or leave it? This was the reason given for
why not to stay with your car. The version I heard took place somewhere in
Ohio, I think. Has anyone else heard a story like that? Could it possibly
by true? This was many years ago.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see how this could be true. If he was on the side of the road, he would have been found sooner or later by a patrol car unless it was an extremely rural area.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
if it was an extremely rural area he would've been found by the people stripping the car for parts.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that makes sense. You shouldn't stay in your car because this disabled guy stayed in his car and he died. So staying in your car means you, too, will die. Yup, makes sense. Damn murderous cars.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're stuck in the wilderness in a vehicle, I thought the usual advice was to stay with the vehicle because it's easier to find when people come looking for you. It stops them from finding an empty car and then, a few months later, a dead body two miles away.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
If you're stuck in the wilderness in a vehicle, I thought the usual advice was to stay with the vehicle because it's easier to find when people come looking for you. It stops them from finding an empty car and then, a few months later, a dead body two miles away.

That is the usual advice. The vehicle also offers some protection from the elements and, if you're on a busy roadway, from being hit by other vehicles.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the OP was thinking of this very lucky guy?

I would have thought that if you were driving while disabled you would prepare for this very scenario; by carrying a cell phone, or at least a window sign saying "Help! Broke Down".

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Disabled man's car breaks down; he dies
See, now that's how I like my horror. Direct and to the point.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 81 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something similar happened in BC last March. An elderly man died in his car parked along the Trans Canada Hwy, and he wasn't discovered for a few days. link
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages