snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Spider in ear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spider in ear
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll understand any skepticism on this since I've always thought these stories were false too. If it didn't happen to someone I know very well I wouldn't even bother mentioning it.

Anyway, he'd had a pain in his ear for a week or two so he went to the doctor. When the doctor looked in his ear he found a spider living in his ear canal, eating his eardrum. If it wasn't found he could have gone deaf. The doctor told him this happens a lot and went on to say that we swallow spiders in our sleep all the time, which I know is mentioned here as false. I don't want to doubt Snopes but this guy isn't much of a story teller. Unless the doctor was just a quack and made the whole thing up.

I did find a couple of other examples:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3104168.stm

http://www.homestead.com/WinterSteel/The_Bug_in_the_Ear.html

But neither mention the spider eating the eardrum.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see what would be so shocking as a spider crawling into somebody's ear.

"Eating an eardrum," though seems highly unlikely, considering the way spiders get nourishment. Cite 1 cite 2 Cite 3 are a few examples.

Edited [twice!] 'cuz I can't spell u-r-l.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Charlotte
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen Charlotte   E-mail Frozen Charlotte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure a spider or insect could become lodged in the ear canal (which would probably cause discomfort itself), and might even bite while there, but I think the part about the spider eating the eardrum sounds unlikely. Don't most spiders eat by injecting venom into their prey and sucking out the liquified insides? I'm not sure if that work on an eardrum, which is a thin membrane.

Perhaps your friend was bit by a spider in his ear, and the eardrum was damaged through a reaction to the spider's venom? Some doctors aren't very good at explaining things to their patients, so your friend may have misunderstood exactly what happened.

Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Charlotte
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen Charlotte   E-mail Frozen Charlotte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first spanking? I need to learn to type faster one of these days. Or stop trying to do 10 things at once. [Wink]
Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll echo what other's have said. The Spider in the ear certainly could happen. I think it is not entirely uncommon for a bug to crawl into an ear once in a while. As an aside, I think generally the hairs and wax inside an ear generally make this uncomfortable for bugs which is why it's not more common.

The eating of the eardrum? I'm not believing it. As others have said, biting wouldn't be surprising, but I don't think spiders eat like that.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had a bug crawl in my ear while I was sleeping. I noticed immediatly as I could hear it my ear, amplified. It was a creepy experience. I just put alcohol in my ear, the way you do to get water out of your, it came right out.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I can say is "Eeeewww!"

I'm off to clean my ears.

Oh, and Beach? "I'll echo..." - that was good! [Smile]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beach is right. I have had a yellowjacket wasp explore my own personal ear (and had the grit to hold so absolutely still that I didn't get stung, but that was when I was younger and less jumpy). My doctor has also told me of the technique he uses to get roaches out of kids' ears--it involves squirting lidocaine into the ear canal, and he says it always produces the desired effect.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bug flew into my mouth once. I've heard of people eatting cooked bugs but it tasted GROSS. Stupid bug. X_X

Anyways, no harm done, just a bad taste. Real bad. Dunno what I had but I felt like licking the pavement to remove the taste.

Closest thing I've had was my dog licking my ear, a ferret sticking his nose down it, and a parrot trying to bite the outside [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ink Rose:
A bug flew into my mouth once. I've heard of people eatting cooked bugs but it tasted GROSS. Stupid bug. X_X

Anyways, no harm done, just a bad taste. Real bad. Dunno what I had but I felt like licking the pavement to remove the taste.

[Big Grin]

LOL...I guess we won't be seeing you on Fear Factor any time soon!

Rainmom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of people eating say, scorpions, catterpillars, and such. So I would eat them if somebody told me I wasn't gonna get a mouthful of nasty tasting blech.

In other words, it wasn't the fact that it was the bug. It was the fact that I have had bugs before (eattable bug types) and was fine whereas this was just plain NASTY NASTY NASTY.

Ink 'Was it a STINK bug?' Rose

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a timely thread! I was chatting to a mate in the pub last night who had just come back from a camping holiday in South West France. One evening he thought he felt something crawl into his ear, and he had his boyfriend pour water into his ear to try to float the thing out. No joy, and he assumed it had been a bit of grass or something like that.

A couple of days later he started to experience excruciating pain in his ear. This went on for a few hours, and then, after it had died down, a little of the water that must have been still caught in his ear came out again (you know how ages after you've been swimming you sometimes get that wee "pop", and out comes some water). Anyway, he thought he's get the rest out and started tapping his head. Suddently he felt something tickling his ear again. His boyfriend took a look at his ear and said he could see a bit of twig or grass caught in there. My friend continued to knock his head a bit, and suddenly, out came the insect! His boyfriend then confessed that he'd seen it was the bug right away, but hadn't wanted to scare him...

I saw the blighter: it was about half and inch long, and like a flea in form (or maybe some other kind of hopper - its body was dull brown rather than shiny). It had a very distinctive single feeler/proboscis about a quarter of an inch long, and beady wee red eyes. Any entomologists want to try an identification?

They took the insect to the doctor's when they got home and she promptly syringed his ear to get rid of some debris that she thought could be faeces or eggs (nice). She thought the pain was caused by the insect turning round to come out again, and that he was lucky that it hadn't damaged his eardrum with all its activity.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About 8 years ago, when I was pregnant with my youngest I was laying on my side on the floor watching tv. We had recently taken in a stray cat (for a week only) and had since been ina death battle with fleas!

Laying on my side with my head propped on my hand/elbow when I felt a flea jump into my ear.

OMG, I came UN-GLUED! I freaked out bad. it was jumping around in my ear and I couldn't get it out. I thought I was going to puke.

It only stayed in about a minute and a half, but it was enough time to get me crying and panicing.

yuck, bug in ear, yuck yuck yuck.

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running away to vomit now.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages