snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Death by dandelion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death by dandelion
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was just wondering if you might of heard of the Death by
dandelion story. It basically says that you can kill a person by
capturing them and detaining them and then filling thier belly button with
dirt and planting a dandelion seed inside, once the dandelion begins to
grow and take root, the roots grow into the belly button and inside the
person. The person is then realeased thinking that they've escaped harm
only to find that the roots are growing within them, slowy killing them.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Round-Up in the navel should take care of that.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I was just wondering if you might of heard of the Death by dandelion story. It basically says that you can kill a person by capturing them and detaining them and then filling thier belly button with dirt and planting a dandelion seed inside, once the dandelion begins to grow and take root, the roots grow into the belly button and inside the
person. The person is then realeased thinking that they've escaped harm only to find that the roots are growing within them, slowy killing them.

Wouldn't the released person notice that there's a dandelion growing from his belly button? I mean, how many people do you see walking down the street with a flower growing from the belly button. Maybe the released person is not all that observant, but I know that a dandelion growing out of me would be a kind of clue that not all was well.

This sort of elaborate plotting always reminds me of Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies. While Dr. Evil is expounding on some fantastic way of killing Austin Powers, Dr. Evil's son just wants to grab a gun and shoot Austin.

There are things to be said about keeping it simple [Big Grin]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "botanical hitman" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude, ya gots a dandelion growin' out yer belly button.

Goodness gracious, old bean, I do believe you are correct in that observation.

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I thought it was a weird piercing. I KNEW I should have called the police after blacking out and waking up in that basement with duct tape on my wrists and mouth!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Little Round-Up in the navel should take care of that.
That's the evil beauty of the plan. The dandelion in and of itself is harmless, but herbicides applied by the victim to the navel are absorbed through the skin, leading to the victims death.

Changes the ruling on the death from murder to misadventure. And the evildoer gets away with it.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And, of course, during the entire course of detention, the person has to be completely bound so they don't gouge the dirt out of their navel. Furthermore, as soon they are released, they don't immediately take a shower?

ETA: How do you do it if the victim has an "outie"?

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Then you use other applicable orfices.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1: It'd be pretty tough for the roots, which for dandyions are pretty fine, to puncture the skin, they'd just spread on top of it.

2: if they did puncture the skin, the roots would be attacked by white blood cells and be damaged probably killing the young plant.

3: sweat is fairly acidic and salty, that'd probably stop the seed from germinating.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of dandelions, has anyone tried dandelion wine? I'm curious what the taste is like.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dandelion roots when growing in the ground are thick like tap roots. Mature plants are hard to dig up. However even if by some chance a dandelion seed did germinate in someones naval, anyone who bathes regularly would wash it away easily.

On the other hand don't swallow the seeds because, like watermelons they could do a lot of damage when they mature inside you.

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so true Kitoboo. My mom used to tell me when I was a kid about the guy who ate watermelon seeds and then the vines grew out his ears!

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spring is bustin' out all over!

Sorry. [fish]

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking of dandelions, has anyone tried dandelion wine? I'm curious what the taste is like.
One time, but it was one of my two "way, way, way too drunk" incidents, so my memory of the taste is somewhat blurry. It tasted better on the way down, that much I'm sure of...

I've tasted the leaves in salad, but that was just a big meh. It tasted more or less like ordinary green salad.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It probably would be possible to kill someone like this if you kept them tied down for days and days, but... they'd probably die of thirst first.
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitoboo:
However even if by some chance a dandelion seed did germinate in someones naval, anyone who bathes regularly would wash it away easily.

Right -- that's why Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle used the Radish Cure on the little girl who wouldn't bathe.
[fish]

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It probably would be possible to kill someone like this if you kept them tied down for days and days, but... they'd probably die of thirst first.
Well you'd have to water the dandelion seedling, so you could water your victim at the same time! [Smile]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
once the dandelion begins to
grow and take root, the roots grow into the belly button and inside the
person.

Would it only work with a dandelion? Or would another flower kill them just as easily? Great. Now I have a picture of a man with pretty red flowers growing out of his bellybutton in my head. Not pleasant.

quote:
Originally posted by mommyrex:
quote:
Originally posted by kitoboo:
However even if by some chance a dandelion seed did germinate in someones naval, anyone who bathes regularly would wash it away easily.

Right -- that's why Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle used the Radish Cure on the little girl who wouldn't bathe.
[fish]

Thank you for bringing back a nice memory! I used to read those books all the time-and I hated baths when I was a little girl, too. Thankfully, my mother was nice enough not to plant radishes on me. [lol]

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks sorta painful http://tinyurl.com/sxop6

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bugs though... those would work great. I keep thinking of he scene from Heroes Die in which Hari/Caine stumbles onto a torture lecture where the students are learning techniques of implanting spider/bug eggs under the skin. >_>

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the flip side, I can sort of imagine this becoming a bizarre fashion accessory.

They'd call it...the NavelWeed!

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages