snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Goblin Baby/Drug teen legend - silly rubbish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goblin Baby/Drug teen legend - silly rubbish
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please note, this isn't a critictism of Snopes-= they are just considering what they are sent!

the Urban Legend about the teens stealing a goblin that turns out to be a kid is a weak legend, in my opinion. I say this because it simply lacks the plausability of a good urban legend, meaning that to me it simply reads as fiction.

Firstly, where are the child's parents? Ok, this can be covered by the "missing child" angle, but that angle seems rathered " tagged on " to the legend.

Secondly, where do these teens live? Logically it is with mummy and daddy, or in student housing. In both cases surely the child would have made enough noise to draw some none drugged up attention to herself?

Are we to also assume that no-one noticed a child being carried away?

As such to my reading it lacks any moral or cautionary tale because its just so damn far fetched.

Its useful to draw a comparison with 2 urban legends, along the same lines that DO work.

The boy in the mall bathrooms who has his penis cut off- This plays on a real fear- the mother has to leave her child out of her care, where he is a (potential) target. The "ethnic gang member might be a physical danger" works as a direct threat. The fact that the threat is deliberate works well in this legend.

Also there is the babysitter who microwaves a child- this story has a very realistic setting - a child left in the care of a teenager. And the idea that the teenager might be a danger due to drugs or whatever (generally due to a fear he or she won't be fit for job)- is a very believable fear at the back of a parents mind.

Furthermore stories about drug addicts mistaking X for Y generally seem more suited to the Weekly World News IE its best suited to comic effect. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the legend began their or on a similar website or publication.

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Story told as true that is untrue = Urban legend.
Where does this story not fit the description.
The quality of the story is unimportant. I've had this one emailed to me as a real story, so no matter how stupid it is, it is out there.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that saying "Bloody Mary" three times into a mirror and expecting something otherworldly to happen is pretty weak, too. But it makes for good campfire ghost story fodder.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked that legend- I think it could be turned into a funny movie.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
Story told as true that is untrue = Urban legend.

Well, I'd say there is a bit more to an urban legend than that. To quote Jan Harold Brunvand, " The Vanishing Hitchhiker " (New York, Norton Publishing , 1981)

" Urban Legends... Are realistic Stories concerning recent events (or alleged events) with an ironic or supernatural twist." (My Emphasis) Preface page xi.

Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spindely Fingers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindely Fingers   E-mail Spindely Fingers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
" Urban Legends... Are realistic Stories concerning recent events (or alleged events) with an ironic or supernatural twist." (My Emphasis) Preface page xi.
OK, fair enough. Using that definition (and paying special attention to your emphasis) the "Vanishing Hitchhiker" legend is just as plausible as the goblin legend. We know no real details of either the hitchhiker or driver, save those that change from teller to teller, nor do hitch hikers routinely vanish.

I'm not ignoring the "supernatural twist part of the definition. I just think that if an audience is to suspend their disbelief enough to believe in the supernatural, it can be assumed they can suspend their disbelief enough to assume teenagers under the influence of illegal substances might mistake a child for a goblin. I guess thatís my main point, really: plausibility neednít be an issue.

Also, why does it have to be assumed the teens live with their parents? Iíve had friends who had apartments by 18 or so. Still teenagers. And with the kind of parties said friends have thrown and the kind of noise generated at those parties, I know that neighbors donít always notice/care about the noises in the next flat.

--------------------
Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. ...
What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.
And all music is. -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 55 | From: Salisbury, NC/Bridgewater, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of popular ULs fall apart under a lot less scrutiny than that. Obviously if it's still being passed on, people are still believing it.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the OP is asking where are the parents of the small child that is mistaken for a goblin.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erica:
I think the OP is asking where are the parents of the small child that is mistaken for a goblin.

Unfortunately, the part about the small child roaming unattended at night is the part I find easisest to believe. There are plenty of irresponsible parents whose neglect has far worse results than their kid wandering off and being held as a goblin for three days.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages