snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » UK variation of UNMARKED police car legend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK variation of UNMARKED police car legend
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 213 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Notice the snopes page mentions only American, Canadian and Australian variations of The Knockoff Pullover, so maybe this one I received yesterday is a new edit:

quote:

Useful advice for all the girls in our lives. Drive safe, be happy xxx

A bit of useful advice - it is true, someone has asked the Dorset Police

It's been said that this number works in the UK thought you should know this....The number does work from a mobile. This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and took place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend , when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and ut its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc. So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone . This connected her to the police dispatcher. She told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area . The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car Behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground.........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did. Too bad the cell phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112.This is good information that I did not know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females.

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizz24
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizz24     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds like it's just been copied straight from the US version but without changing all the terms - cell phone? police dispatcher? They could have least have done more to make it sound British. In any case, would phoning 112 actually connect you with anything here - isn't it just the alternative 999 (feel free to correct me anybody!)?
Posts: 37 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lizz24:
In any case, would phoning 112 actually connect you with anything here - isn't it just the alternative 999 (feel free to correct me anybody!)?

112 is the standard distress call number in the whole of the European Union including the UK.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
112's not the "standard" in the UK, Floater - the standard emergency number is 999 - but it does work in the UK and connects you to the same operator that you'd get if you dialed 999. It's standard in that sense, I suppose, but not in the sense that it's the number that most people in the UK would actually use.

In fact, the email wouldn't work if the 112 number was more widely known here. If you substituted "999" and then tried to pretend that it's a little-known resource then people would laugh at it!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I stated it is the standard number in the EU. The problem is that Braitain retained the old number parallell with the new, so people have not been made aware of this.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it would be more accurate to state that Britain adopted the EU standard to operate concurrently with it's own standard number.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
winegums
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winegums   E-mail winegums   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon,

because, of course, all convicted rapists work under the cover of early afternoon daylight...
Posts: 50 | From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I saw a car behind me with a flashing red light on it indicating me to pull over I would simply flip it the bird and drive off

quote:
1.00pm in the afternoon
[lol]

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe how irresponsible they are: recommending that people use their mobile phones whilst driving! The horror!

Whilst CONVICTED RAPISTS!!!! aren't habitually using the unmarked car ruse to ATTACK PEOPLE@S DAUGHTERS!!!, the gang that recently stole £50m from a Securitas depot in Kent did kidnap one of the guards using this ploy.

quote:
Mr Dixon, who was driving home to Herne Bay in his Nissan Almera, was stopped near Maidstone by a Volvo posing as an unmarked police car. He was bundled inside and handcuffed.

At 8pm, bogus police officers called at Mr Dixon's home and abducted his wife and son, after telling them that he had been involved in a serious accident.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
with a flashing red light on his rooftop

english police cars don't use red lights. (do they? i'm doubting myself now!)

the fake police car used in the securitas robbery was a bit more believable- police do use volvos, and the man was wearing a high vis jacket (i think) and a police cap.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
with a flashing red light on his rooftop

english police cars don't use red lights. (do they? i'm doubting myself now!)

I think they use blue lights.

--------------------

Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
correct.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew about 112 in 1996 or so when I did a St John first aid course.
They told us that 112 was the new Europe wide number,similar to 911 in US/Canada and would eventually replace 999.
I guess it is still the supplimentery number.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages