snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Chinese torture methods (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Chinese torture methods
Ann Catherine
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Rubi:
About a rat in a bowl placed over a victim’s abdomen: it really has been used in war by the Chinese against captured Japanese soldiers, at least according to a Japanese WWII vet I knew. Only he said that...

Did he witness this or was he saying something he had heard about "those barbaric Chinese" ?
Sounds like it would work. There have also been alot of stories circulated about cat's eating their owner's after death. I've also seen this in a movie. Gruesome...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain_Pizzapasta
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain_Pizzapasta   E-mail Captain_Pizzapasta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
True indeed. In Budapest there is a "Museum of Torture”

There's one also here, in Milan. It's full of seemingly innocent instruments, which suddenly become not-so-innocent when you read what they were built for, during the Dark Ages.

There's a big chair full of rounded spikes. People was tied on it for days, and body's weight itself was enough to slowly pull the spikes into the meat.

There's a metal mask with a little blade which was inserted into the wearer's mouth. If the wearer moved his tongue, he got it cut. That was the punishment for those crimes which involved speaking too much.

There are strange, big pincers which was used to grab women's breasts and twist them, causing unbearable pain.

There are many horrible instruments like the ones I've described you, and others even worse...

...and almost all of them are former properties of the Catholic Curch.

--------------------
Mamma mia!

Posts: 22 | From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain_Pizzapasta

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain_Pizzapasta   E-mail Captain_Pizzapasta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapMaker:
Ever notice how most tortures involve the genitals?

I've read that in ancient Japan they used to torture people by putting penis into a cup of cold water and testicles into a cup of hot water, or the opposite, can't remember. It seems that this treatment, for some reason I can't undestand, causes atrocious pain. I don't know if it's true.

--------------------
Mamma mia!

Posts: 22 | From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann Catherine:
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
Nope: 2 arms, 2 legs, the head, the torso.

My thoughts exactly...
Yes, but it was explained immediately after my comment why it was wrong.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite the fan of Elizabeth Bathory's works, actually. Last year, my boyfriend even gave me a MacFarlane figurien of her.

She had some pretty interesting suspencion devices, such as these spike-lined orbs. They were spun until all the flesh was picked clean off the bones.

Hey, let's have some fun: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=torture_devices

What torture device would YOU be? [Wink]

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tomcat
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tomcat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got The Rack... seems about right.

--------------------
www.audiowaveprod.com

You can go 'round the world,
You can go 'round the block.
But all I want to hear,
Is some '55 rock...

*Cub Koda

Posts: 170 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
yty
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
quote:
Originally posted by yty:

regarding stomach explosion, it can be achieved by mixing dog meat and green bean, but obviously not uncooked rice...

Do you have a cite for this? snopes has a few "stomach explosion" recipes, and to date, they're all labelled false.
found some not-so-reliable chinese sources on the internet, can't find anything about the stomach explosion version that i have heard, all sources either say the effect is "poisoned" or "feel ill"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lunchlady
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lunchlady   E-mail lunchlady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I thought I'd get stoning [lol] [Big Grin]
but apparently my #1 is:

People were hung in various positions from you, sometimes with weights, stretching and dislocating limbs. Sometimes they were left to starve or succumb to the elements. All in all, you're a pretty forgiving person, provided they don't -really- get you angry.

What torture would you be?

kisses, lunchlady

--------------------
lunchlady

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
---James Bovard

Posts: 71 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Witches were tied to you, and burned to a crisp. A classic, though not very nice. People probably tiptoe around you a little.

What torture would you be?

It really bothers me that people actually thought this stuff up!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Pizzapasta:
There are strange, big pincers which was used to grab women's breasts and twist them, causing unbearable pain.

This torture device was known as the "purple nurple."

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Pizzapasta:

This torture device was known as the "purple nurple."
No thats actually being forced to watch the Minnesota Vikings play football. Now thats torture [Big Grin]

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by '59 Ford Wheelman:
I firmly believe the Chinese water torture (as I've always known it) to be highly effective. Yes, the restraints are a part of it, but it also exploits the human weakness of repetitive annoyances being irritating. If you want to test it yourself, leave your faucet dripping before bedtime. Try to sleep.

Couldn't this be something that you would get used to? I mean, I have water splashing/running all night from an aquarium filter and I sleep just fine... I also sometimes have off-and-on sounds of either gnawing or wheel noises...

I would also think with the water torture, after a while you may stop feeling it if the drops are hitting the same place each time, as it may become numb. Could be wrong of course.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blueskies

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueskies   E-mail blueskies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rubi:
About a rat in a bowl placed over a victim’s abdomen: it really has been used in war by the Chinese against captured Japanese soldiers, at least according to a Japanese WWII vet I knew. Only he said that the rats were starved, and honey or meat grease or something of the sort would be put on the POW’s bare skin, and the rats (multiple) would begin licking and biting it. One tasting blood, they would keep going. I don’t think the rats were always the actual agents of death—infection was.

I have not heard such a torture method, it may very well be true.

It's ironic that a Japanese veteran would complain about Chinese torture methods, the Japanese used to slice open pregnant women's abdomen and play kickball with the aborted fetuses. They also competed in beheading races when it became apparent that it would waste too much ammunition to shoot all the Chinese POWs. They took out a city full of civilians in a couple of weeks in Nanking.

My family is from Southern China where the Japanese invaders fortunately were relatively mild. A gruesome death that my grandmother personally witnessed entailed a Japanese soldier forcing water down an unlucky Chinese civilian's throat, and then proceeding to stomp on said man's belly, rupturing his stomache and killing him. I am not sure what he did to deserve death, but I am sure the Japanese had good reasons, maybe he looked at them in an offensive way.

Hm, sorry for digressing. As you can tell, I am not exactly grateful about what Japan did in WWII.

Posts: 4 | From: NYC, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of the pregnant women thing. I find it hard to believe even a soldier could do something like that without being violently sick...
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. When I saw people had been posting to this thread earlier today, I expected to find something to do with this article here.

Blue "First they thwart investigations, then they deny what those turn up - yup, that'll convince the world there's nothing wrong, folks" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:
Originally posted by '59 Ford Wheelman:
I firmly believe the Chinese water torture (as I've always known it) to be highly effective. Yes, the restraints are a part of it, but it also exploits the human weakness of repetitive annoyances being irritating. If you want to test it yourself, leave your faucet dripping before bedtime. Try to sleep.

Couldn't this be something that you would get used to? I mean, I have water splashing/running all night from an aquarium filter and I sleep just fine... I also sometimes have off-and-on sounds of either gnawing or wheel noises...

Just to throw in my $0.02, my understanding of the Chinese water torture (based solely on input from my college roommate) was not that it was a continuous stream of water dripping on you, but that it was several well-spaced droplets hitting you. The way he explained it was that it would be several minutes apart (between 5 to 10 minutes) and occasionally one or more drops would be omitted. The waiting for the next drop, along with the probability that the intervals would be extended, would account for the torture and tension experienced.

No personal experience, of course, and no cites. This is solely based on input from a distant college roommate.

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jenovatrix
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenovatrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard about a torture/murder method used among Buddhists (I think), because they were forbidden to directly kill anyone.

The unfortunate person was sewn inside an animal hide, submerged in water, and then left outside. It was said that the subsequent shrinkage of the animal hide crushed the victim sewn inside.

--------------------
"Flaming Bags of Poo should not be delivered indefinitely after a bad date." - Sims 2 patch fix
my space ::my kitty friend, Orion

Posts: 181 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine the bamboo torture would work. Any plant will grow towards light. If something is in the way it would go around it towards the light source, not through it. Unless the victim is tied directly to the soil... I did find a site that gave tips on containing bamboo groves, they suggested "High density polyethylene or high density polypropylene 40-60 mil" to contain the shoots and rhizomes, and said they would penetrate a "A vinyl carpet runner from Home Depot". So I guess it comes down to how dense is the human body compared to the materials suggested.

I did find pictures of a cage torture though http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=86
I also found a mention of bamboo being laid across many prisoners legs while someone stands on the bamboo for hours.

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jenovatrix:
I've heard about a torture/murder method used among Buddhists (I think), because they were forbidden to directly kill anyone.

The unfortunate person was sewn inside an animal hide, submerged in water, and then left outside. It was said that the subsequent shrinkage of the animal hide crushed the victim sewn inside.

There was a similarly indirect torture/execution method used by Christians.

The unfortunate person in this case was tied to a large stake, and piles of wood and straw were placed around them and then set on fire. Apparently the subsequent heat from the fire caused the victim to burn to death.

I'll get it: [fish]

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All these are fancy and ornate especially the death of a thousand cuts (although none of those discussing that one seem to mention the way it was performed. A jacket, made of what was basically chicken wire was tightened onto the torso, arms and thighs of the victim. This cause little lumps of skin to protrude from the jacket which could then be individually sliced off and if so desired cauterized to prevent the victim from bleeding out. HOWEVER;

According to british and french observers during the second opium war the worst torture was the simplest. They bound victims au crapaudine (hands to ankles behind the back) with leather straps, wet the straps and then literally left the victim to rot in his cell. As the leather dried it tightened into the skin, completely cutting off circulation. Gngrene set in, flies laid eggs in the flesh, larvae ate the victims starting in the dead flesh but according to witnesses,unlike normal maggots the species of fly living in the dungeons was willing to eat living tissue. See you don't need to get fancy or use tools.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steelfox

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelfox   E-mail steelfox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, and this may be a little off topic. I heard that when a Chef (Chinese or Japanese I think it was) served pufferfish and the person died because it wasn't cut correctly that the Chef would kneel infront of a member of the dead person's family in the middle of the town square. The Chef would stab him/herself with a sword in the stomach. When blood came out of their mouth the family member would cut off the Chef's head.

Makes me not want to become a Chef that's for sure.

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
that's just sepuku, ritual suicide. Done (willingly or at least as willingly as suicide can be) by the Japanese when they've been shamed. Was done quite a lot up until sometime after World war Two when the practice died out.
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What?!?!

You mean that if something breaks on my Honda, someone at the factory do not have to commit supuku?

No wonder the quality is dropping...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
that's just sepuku, ritual suicide. Done (willingly or at least as willingly as suicide can be) by the Japanese when they've been shamed. Was done quite a lot up until sometime after World war Two when the practice died out.

Not really. It was done until the beginning of the Meiji period and was abolished in 1873. Since 1900, very few people have committed seppuku.

(BLT, isn't suicide "willing" by definition?)

No, it's not true that chefs who serve the poison from fugu commit seppuku in front of the family.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
I've never heard of the pregnant women thing. I find it hard to believe even a soldier could do something like that without being violently sick...

That's what Hosea 13:16 refers to.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(BLT, isn't suicide "willing" by definition?)
"Throw yourself off this building or we'll slit your throat".

Uh, no. Not always.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages