snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Meth Makes Winter Deadly for Young Couple (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Meth Makes Winter Deadly for Young Couple
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 15 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two kids strung out on meth wandered in a Nebraska snowstorm for hours, hallucinating while trying to call 911 for help. Their unfamiliarity with the area and the effects of the drug made it impossible for them to communicate their whereabouts to the frustrated dispatchers and they died of exposure.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Primetime/story?id=549455&page=1

More information and links to phonecall transcripts here:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1317088

I live in an area where death from hypothermia is not uncommon, but the fact that they were talking to various dispatchers for 4 hours yet couldn't describe their location in time to be rescued makes it very disturbing.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
911 still doesn't have Caller ID?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They were on a cell phone. How was caller ID going to help find them?

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:

Couldnt they trace the cell location? Even if it doesnt have GPS, they could narrow it down a bit.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The moral of this story? Don't do crystal meth.
Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We need a new page here. This shouldn't be under "Horrors" it should be under "Just desserts".

I feel no sympathy. None at all. Other than for the poor law enforcement and rescue folks that got ratcheted up trying to find these miscreants.

People say I am hard hearted - but I give my emotional support for those who deserve it.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh ok, I just read the post and not the article. I was assuming they were calling from payphones.
rotten little boys

"She (Janelle Hornickel) said people were taking the cars apart and putting them in the trees. She gave their location as "Trees above the Mandalay" — the Mandalay apartments in Omaha

(A)uthorities were confused. Her cell phone signal was coming from Sarpy County, Neb., not Omaha. Nevertheless, they sent police to the Mandalay and found nothing."

So the authorities ignored the information they were receiving and listend to someone who was obvisously not thinking clearly. What happened?

Mallow

Good grief, Malruhn: Of course people shouldn't do meth. OTOH, a death penalty is a bit overboard on "just desserts" isn't it? Have you never done anything reckless and/or unlawful in your life, drove a car or bike recklessly, overindulged in alcohol, had an affair with an angry man's girlfriend? Particularly when you were young and thought yourself immortal?

These two were messed up from the meth, but too many people have died in similar circumstances from simple ignorance - not understanding what the weather can do to you, not knowing how to stay warm, not keeping track of where they're going, not keeping emergency supplies in the car, and thinking a cellphone is all you need to be safe on the road.

Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
We need a new page here. This shouldn't be under "Horrors" it should be under "Just desserts".

I feel no sympathy. None at all. Other than for the poor law enforcement and rescue folks that got ratcheted up trying to find these miscreants.

People say I am hard hearted - but I give my emotional support for those who deserve it.

Does every violator of every law deserve the death penalty in your empire?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About 20 years ago my boyfriend at the time procured some psilocybin mushrooms and introduced them to me. This was in the dead of winter in Connecticut and we decided, after an hour or so, to go for a walk in the gorgeous snow-silent woods. It was glorious. We eventually reached a river. I could hear running water but it ran beneath a frozen surface. We started walking across and made it about half way before we started hearing the warning creak-crack sounds. We stopped and had enough sense to slowly, carefully work our way back the way we had come. It took us half an hour, carefully slowly sliding our feet, the ice giving a little the whole way, but we made it. I was terrified and cursing myself for being so stupid as to ingest hallucinogens. The relief I felt at surviving my stupidity played a big role in my decision that day to not play with drugs in the future.

If I had died on that day the world would not be a better place without me. Not that I've done anything grand with my life but I've had a few small positive impacts on some people, places, and animals over the last two decades. My family and friends would not have swallowed their grief and carried on thinking "well, she was stupid for doing the drugs and got what she deserved."

What happened to those two 20 year olds is a tragedy. Their families are likely diminished by their loss. From the article it sounds like the woman was an active, intelligent member of the human race. Who knows what she might have contributed, large or small, if she had survived. It sounds like the man had a serious substance abuse problem which, if he'd survived this horrible adventure, he might have overcome and gone on to contribute to society. I just don't buy that they got what they deserved.

Posts: 374 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What she said. "Kids strung out on meth" are kids with parents, kids with siblings, kids with people who love them. They didn't deserve this, and to insist they did is to be simplistically brutal.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you choose to do drugs, you deserve whatever the outcome is. I refuse to believe in the United States that two 20 year olds had no idea that taking meth was going to mess them up somehow.
Life is about choices, if you choose to do something stupid, illegal, and potentially deadly, you deal with the consequences.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Young death is always a tragedy. Sometimes a more predictable tragedy than others, though...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People make all sorts of mistakes, especially when they are young and foolish. The idea that these two got what they deserved just because they had taken drugs and then got into a situation where the outcome was tragic does not serve to prove any sort of karmic balance to the universe.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

So if someone driving 56mph on a 55mph highway is killed in an accident, did he get what he deserved because he was breaking the law and speeding. People who speed know what the risks are and deserve what they get, right? Does a guy going a mile over the "legal" limit get his "just desserts" by dying?
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a tribe living by a river, and in the river live crocodiles. The tribe has one particular piece of wisdom passed down through the generations: If you happen to meet a crocodile, don't stick your head in its mouth. Every now and then - and who knows the reason? - people ignore this advice... Which is sad, because they die, but also very stupid, because they were warned. They had a choice; there are crocodiles.

ETA: I don't think they "got what they deserved." What it does come down to, though, the sad fact of the matter, is that they did something very stupid and died because of it. They should have been aware of the consequences of their actions; what they did was no different than had they been playing Russian Roulette with a .357. Meth is one of the most vile, vicious drugs there is in terms of the effect it has on a person. Hunter Thompson wrote that there is nothing more depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge; I wonder, though, if he'd ever gone on a really bad meth trip when he wrote that. Meth was a big problem in Broken Arrow, and I've seen my fair share of people freaked out on it. It's an ugly thing to see, the consequences, while not usually as deadly as in the OP, are sadly often similar.

Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meth is a pretty big deal here in NE. What's interesting is that I remember when this story broke -- these two kids killed in the storm, and they were bright, and everyone loved them.

The part about the meth didn't turn up until little, and it wasn't as well covered as the initial tragedy. (I only heard about it when a friend told me.) Which is a shame -- maybe more coverage would have made others stop and think before doing meth. But who knows, maybe not.

I feel so sorry for the parents -- to have your children die, and then find out they were on drugs when it happened.

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faeriefeet
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeriefeet   E-mail Faeriefeet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NewZer0:

I feel so sorry for the parents -- to have your children die, and then find out they were on drugs when it happened.

--NewZer0

I agree. My cousin died when she was 21 of a drug overdose. Her parents had absolutely no idea what she was into. She was stripping and the night she died, some guy had paid her in an assortment of drugs including crack, meth, and X...taken all together, not so good I guess.

Unrelated to the original topic, but I've seen what stuff like this does to parents, so I had to put in my two cents.

Posts: 54 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a difference between doing "something reckless" and doing something that has a very real chance of becoming fatal. A man driving a motorcycle to work in the morning that gets into an accident? Worth sympathy. Evil Knievil getting turned into a smudge whilst sailing across the Canyon of Certain Death? No sympathy.

There are gradients of what I consider stupidity - and this is one that tips the scales for me. I feel no remorse for my attitude and no sympathy for the two kids. I have tried twisting this around to be two of my cousins - or even my sister... and cannot scrape any sympathy for getting what is deserved for their completely avoidable actions.

Way back in the day, I actually did some drugs... but before I did anything stronger than baby aspirin, I researched the drugs - and avoided anything that stood a good chance of producing an addiction. Then, when I took the drugs, I always had an informed friend along - a 'designated driver' as it were, or 'babysitter' - to keep me from doing anything really stupid. I also never imbibed enough to 'completely' lose control. Yes, I did something irresponsible - but was as "responsible" as possible in doing it. Had I turned my brain to mush, I would also not feel sympathy for myself either.

If you don't want to die - your odds are much better if you don't do anything really reckless - like crystal meth and a wintertime walk.

No, I still feel no sympathy. Had these miscreants killed somebody else while stoned - THEN I would feel sympathy - but only for the REAL victims, those hurt by these two.

The parents of these two - yes, I feel some sympathy for them. But only for their loss... not for the fact that they failed to instill enough common sense into their children to make some quasi-intelligent choices.

Am I hard hearted? Maybe. But I also lean on the idea of karma and 'reaping what you sow'. For my "recklessness" it took me years of recultivation to begin to reap something worthwhile - and I wasn't all that bad. For some it merely trickles back into their lives - and for these two, it slapped them between their eyes with a two-by-four.

I stand by my opinion.

And Mallow - yes, there was a time when I thought I was "immortal"... we all know I was wrong - but had I bought the farm back then - I would have deserved it. Now, if I died tomorrow - THEN I believe I would deserve pity - as I am doing nothing reckless and wouldn't be dying by my own actions or stupidity... it would have to be by the action or stupidity of somebody else. THAT deserves pity - not this.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In a weird way, I see Malruhn's point, which in itself is surely a sign of the impending apocalypse, but just as there are varying levels of stupidity, so are there varying levels of sympathy. The difference is that I see what happened to those kids as a consequence, not a punishment. I'm not thinking, "They got what they deserved," I'm thinking, "That was a possible logical consequent outcome to the actions that they took, combined with the conditions under which they took those actions." Well, not in so many words. It was an outcome, not the Wheels of Justice in the Universe turning.

I won't lie to you--I get as sick as the next guy of yet another generation of Darwin Awards winners coming along down the pike. However, I get just as sick of the attitude that when terrible things happen to people who do terrible things to themselves that they somehow deserved it. I have just as little sympathy as Malruhn for meth users, however, we are as night and day when it comes to whether the subsequent misfortunes are justice or consequence.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
If they had been lost in almost any other state Hornickel and Wamsley might have been found. But Nebraska is one of just nine states that does not have the most up-to-date 911 GPS tracking system for cell phones, so operators could not pinpoint their location.

source here

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
If they had been lost in almost any other state Hornickel and Wamsley might have been found. But Nebraska is one of just nine states that does not have the most up-to-date 911 GPS tracking system for cell phones, so operators could not pinpoint their location.
I think Starla was pointing out that Caller ID and GPS tracking are nowhere near the same thing.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mallow

"And Mallow - yes, there was a time when I thought I was "immortal"... we all know I was wrong - but had I bought the farm back then - I would have deserved it. Now, if I died tomorrow - THEN I believe I would deserve pity - as I am doing nothing reckless and wouldn't be dying by my own actions or stupidity... it would have to be by the action or stupidity of somebody else. THAT deserves pity - not this." - Malruhn

Well then, Malruhn, we have very different responses to tragedy and human mistakes. I would not have thought 'you got what you deserved' if you'd been killed as a young thing (or an old thing for that matter) while performing a reckless act. I'd have felt as I do about these young people: how stupid, how reckless, how ignorant of consequence, and how tragic they didn't survive to learn from their mistakes - as you apparently did.

Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boy is 9. He has been told, in varying degrees and age-appropriate ways, about the dangers of drug use. His sister will get the same traetment when she is old enough and has developed language skills.

I got the same talk. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that my parents dissaproved of drug and tobacco use. They spoke about its dangers in an unabashed and frank manner. I knew that neither had ever touched an illegal drug or picked up a cigarette.

But, still, I've smoked pot. I've 'shroomed', I've had a cigarette or two. I drank to excess. That said, I NEVER, not even once, got behind the whell of a car under the influence, so thank G-d some of the 'talks' sank in.

So yes, my kids will hear of the dangers. They will be presented with evidence. They will be told the truth that pot may not lead to heroin use, but it's still a drug. They will be taught that they will, as long as I can control it (AH, there's the rub...)lose driving priveledges for a loooooong time should they ever get behind the wheel, or in a car with someone who is, under the influence.

I will teach them all this...and then I will pray that my influence outweighs their curiosity and teenage feelings of invincibility.

I cannot conceive of the saddness and destruction I would feel should they ever die or be hurt because of an 'experiment'. My grief would be unmatched at the shear waste of it all.

As long as the drugs exist, no manner of legislation or War on Drugs will remove all of these stories from the headlines. Using is a risky behavior, but people engage in risky behavior all the time (skydiving, race car driving, on and on). It is a tragedy when an otherwise productive member of society is cut down due to a stupid act. I would say that the consequences were known, and it should not be a shock that the outcome was horrific. But, shocking or not, I cannot find it in myself to say that they 'got what they deserved'. I don't think they 'deserved' one thing or another. Their friends and family, on the other hand, did not deserve such grief and loss in their lives because two young people decided to play.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 15 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you choose to do drugs, you deserve whatever the outcome is. I refuse to believe in the United States that two 20 year olds had no idea that taking meth was going to mess them up somehow.
Life is about choices, if you choose to do something stupid, illegal, and potentially deadly, you deal with the consequences.

Yeesh. I noticed a few posts to this thread that express a similar sentiment. Not a lot of compassion there, folks.

Several years ago, a young mother named Terry, an alcoholic, wandered around in the snow, drunk and incoherent, and eventually died from hypothermia. She left behind a family who loved her, including her father, Senator George McGovern.

So, is her crime more, or less severe than the two kids in the story? She was older than them, so she definitely should have known better, right? On the other hand, her drug, alcohol, happens to be legal, so maybe she gets a bit more sympathy? Just wondering what yard stick you use to determine if someone "got what they deserved".

I guess a lot of you folks don't accept the fact that addiction is a disease.

Nothing personal, but I'm glad that when I was trying to get sober, I didn't experience that kind of harsh judgement. Even if that is what I deserved.

I know I sound like a bleeding heart, but without having met these people, or knowing any of the circumstances of their lives or addictions, it seems pretty presumptious to just dismiss them out of hand as deserving of their fate.

We all make mistakes - luckily, most of us don't die from them.

But I guess you've never made one, so can afford to cast stones. Bully for you.

AliBaba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor

What a waste of two lives and a hole in so many others.

The two of them might have been saved with the GPS system, but it does cost some money to put into place. Usually it's funded county by county within a state, so even if it is mandated you could run into poor counties that have bad/non-existant systems.

quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:

Am I hard hearted? Maybe. But I also lean on the idea of karma and 'reaping what you sow'.

Guessing you had better not expect, or ask, for any sympathy. Ever.

Hard hearted, but my opinion too.

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say that I don't feel bad for the kids. I feel bad for their families, but the the individuals.

Unfortunatly, life does not follow the 8th Ammendment. The punishment does not alway fit the crime, as in this case.

I've known people who drove while completely wasted, they couldn't stand up, and arrived home safely. I've known people who were completely sober and did nothing wrong get killed in a car accident.

Life sucks, then you die. Life will never be fair. I have little sympathy for the stupid. These kids' suffering is over, It's their families I feel bad for.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may be so bold as to speak for others, I would venture a guess that there is inherently less compassion for those whose poor fates are brought on due to alcohol, (other)drugs, smoking, and even obesity. In general, the feeling can be summed up in that '"they brought it upon themselves (by engaging in risky behavior)". I would even go so far as to say that we have that same view (albeit very un-PC)about AIDS victims.

To an extent, those feelings have merit. One chooses to smoke, one chooses risky sexual behavior or takes drugs, or drinks, or eats a whole apple pie, etc, etc. But, on the other hand, as AliBaba said, for some, these same behaviors that many partake in with little or no consequence, lead to addiction for others. Still, we have a vague (or not-so-vague in some cases)feeling that it was "all their fault", even when the person is in the grips of an addiction.

I, too, am guilty of those thoughts. In fact, when I first heard the story, I would have sided with Malruhn , in that 'They got what they deserved". But, that was a knee-jerk reaction (on my part, Malruhn explained himself thoughtfully, and I gather his opinion stands. I can respect that in so much as he gave a though-out explination of his opinion)on my part, and further thought was that indeed, NO, that is a most brutal outcome. I will say again what I said previous, that while a poor outcome may be predicted from drug use, DESERVE is a strong statement to make. More so in this particular situation. They were not risking others by driving around, they did not neglect a child, they did not rob somebody, wherein in these circumstances I could very well wish ill upon them. No, instead they were just some young people experimenting and their deaths were tragic.

ETA: DemonWolf , I love this:
quote:
Unfortunatly, life does not follow the 8th Ammendment. The punishment does not alway fit the crime, as in this case.

May I use it in future talks with my kids? I have the feeling that it will come in handy [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
Several years ago, a young mother named Terry, an alcoholic, wandered around in the snow, drunk and incoherent, and eventually died from hypothermia. She left behind a family who loved her, including her father, Senator George McGovern.

If you have never read the book Terry: My Daughter's Life-And-Death Struggle With Alcoholism, written by Sen. McGovern, you all need to run out and buy it. It really helps explain the grips alcohol can have on someone, and how even those with the best family support and all the money needed to help overcome their addiction cannot do so.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

This is the first time the term "addiction" has been used for these two. I have seen nothing about them being "addicted" in any of the news reports.

And that is taking the cowards way out.

Yes, I am in the camp that says addiction is not a disease. This is purely a personal opinion, and I know that the Surgeon General takes a different opinion, but it is how I believe.

Yes, I know that addiction is a phenominally powerful force - strong enough to waylay many, many people. But, where I find my snopes gene kicking in (that would be the strongly skeptical gene!) is that many people use this as a cop out. They use (insert drug of choice), and don't WANT to put forth ANY effort to kick it, so they fall back to the, "It isn't my fault - it is a DISEASE!!" argument.

>>>EDITED TO REMOVE SOME UNWARRANTED SNARKINESS<<<< ...therefore it is laziness. Yup - I said it. But please - this is an argument for the Rantidotes page...

These kids did something very stupid - and got caught. I will say that I agree with DemonWolf wholeheartedly - that sometimes the punishments don't fit the crime - but I feel that in this case it did.

Sub-Contractor, it is in cases where the punishment does not fit the crime that I feel sympathy is warranted.

Case in point: Last month during the Superbowl here in Jacksonville, two Deputies were injured when their Sheriff's department patrol boat slammed into a piling. The accident was completely avoidable - going over 30 knots in restricted waters at night - with no emergency. The driver of the boat did a face plant into the piling, basically removing the front part of his skull. The passenger suffered multiple broken bones and a minor concussion.

As the boat took off, the passenger was heard yelling at the driver to slow the hell down... to no avail... the driver was senior and "in charge". I have much sympathy for the passenger... and absolutely none for the driver.

I don't work with the guys - I didn't even know the guys... but I visited the passenger in the hospital to wish him well and to ask if I could help out his family while he healed.

I did not even look for the driver. The risks he took were absurd, completely voluntary, and not warranted. In my mind, he deserved the punishment he received. The passenger didn't.

--------------------

Mallow

No? I would have expected you to make the point that the passenger got in the boat knowing the driver was an idiot, and therefore got what he deserved.
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
quote:

Yeesh. I noticed a few posts to this thread that express a similar sentiment. Not a lot of compassion there, folks.

So, is her crime more, or less severe than the two kids in the story? She was older than them, so she definitely should have known better, right? On the other hand, her drug, alcohol, happens to be legal, so maybe she gets a bit more sympathy? Just wondering what yard stick you use to determine if someone "got what they deserved".

I guess a lot of you folks don't accept the fact that addiction is a disease.

Nothing personal, but I'm glad that when I was trying to get sober, I didn't experience that kind of harsh judgement. Even if that is what I deserved.

I know I sound like a bleeding heart, but without having met these people, or knowing any of the circumstances of their lives or addictions, it seems pretty presumptious to just dismiss them out of hand as deserving of their fate.

We all make mistakes - luckily, most of us don't die from them.

But I guess you've never made one, so can afford to cast stones. Bully for you.

AliBaba

I never said I didn't feel for the kids, I said if you do something stupid, you deal with the consequences.

Darn near every 20 year old in America has had the "don't do drugs they'll nfbsk you up" lecture since they started school.

quote:
Hornickel, a college junior at Creighton University in Omaha, seemed to have it all. She was a member of a sorority, she was in a business fraternity and she had a job.

Her family in rural Ord, Neb., said she was a star student and athlete. She was in the drama club, sang in the choir and was a cheerleader.

Someone who so seemingly had it together, would have had it drilled into her that drugs will mess you up.

I have sympathy for the families of these kids, I have sympathy for the kids they will never have.
But I don't have much sympathy for people who knew they were doing something stupid and potentially deadly, and still did it. I didn't have sympathy for myself when I was doing the same things. I got lucky, these kids didn't.

Part of life is about choices and consequences. You deal with what you do.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

I may have interpretted things differently than they were meant, but I don't think 'addicton' was used as an excuse for the kids in the OP, but rather a side point, and a way to point out that NOT using a drug is not always an easy/possible-at-the-momnent choice.

And yes, I agree that SOME people use it as a cop-out (my BIL uses his BS disabilities as an excuse tp be a miserable F-up and failure). However, the addicted's first physical/psychological need is to 'get a fix'. It takes a strong person to let the rationasl part of his/her mind pull them out from behind that cloud to getting help. That said, I agree that the strong person will find a way to be succesful in life despite any psyical/psychological handicaps. That may come in the form of finding treatment...Whew! This has gotten FAR off topic.

--------------------

Aaron
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Darn near every 20 year old in America has had the "don't do drugs they'll nfbsk you up" lecture since they started school.
I think that's one of the problems. Kids have been told so many bullshit horror stories and exagerations about drugs by authority figures that they don't take the dangers seriously. How can anyone expect kids to believe that meth can lead to serious addiction or death when they've been told the same thing about marijuana. When kids get to be old enough to realize that some drugs aren't nearly as bad as they're portrayed, they might incorrectly assume that all drugs are safe.

--------------------
(insert witty remark here)

Posts: 229 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages