snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Elephants can't swim any distance.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elephants can't swim any distance.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a lively arguement with a friend today about the ability of elephants to swim. I don't just mean splashing around in water, but being able to travel a long distance in deep water. My friend says they can't, I'm sure they can, although apparently they will only do it for survival.
(PS, not sure if there is a difference between Asian and African elephants).

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They sure can

quote:
Can Elephants Swim Long Distances?

These strong animals can swim long distances without a problem. Experts suppose that elephants once swam from Southern India to Sri Lanka where they settled.

Clip of them in action.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When no one's around, they sometimes do the backstroke.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
followsthewolf
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for followsthewolf   E-mail followsthewolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What, no doggie paddle?
Posts: 117 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love how they use their trunk like a snorkel. Cool stuff.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of the better explanations for some sightings of the "Loch Ness monster".
http://www.users.bigpond.com/rdoolan/nessie2.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0309_0603009_loch_ness.html

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
This is one of the better explanations for some sightings of the "Loch Ness monster".

You know, though, I don't think we can rule out that these are simply spottings of the rarely seen whalephant.

Bonnie "sp. Mizzenmastodon, to be precise" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
. . . the rarely seen whalephant. Mizzenmastodon, to be precise.

You and I owe each other a drink!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a documentary where they swimmed between islands, several kilometers apart. Worked nicely.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, there is some speculation that they may have in fact evolved from dolphin like creatures.

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
I've seen a documentary where they swimmed between islands, several kilometers apart. Worked nicely.

Yes I have seen that too. I was surprised how well and quite effortlessly they swam. Do you remeber what was the distance between these islands? I have a feeling something like 20 km ???? They also had their babies with them.
Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elephants used to be migratory and would swim from West Africa to Florida to lay their eggs. However, as Florida beaches became overdeveloped, they stopped doing that. They can't stand the scent of Coppertone.

--------------------

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you remeber what was the distance between these islands?
Nope. I do, however, remember being irrationally impressed by the guts of the divers filming it from below, despite knowing that the elephants will not sink quickly no matter what.

quote:
Elephants used to be migratory and would swim from West Africa to Florida to lay their eggs. However, as Florida beaches became overdeveloped, they stopped doing that. They can't stand the scent of Coppertone.
No, that was the mammoths. Why did you think there are no mammoths in north america today?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Why did you think there are no mammoths in north america today?

Um...they hate America?

--------------------

bjohn13
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
I love how they use their trunk like a snorkel. Cool stuff.

I guess I always thought that's what an elephant's trunk was for.

I always figured that elephants were excellent swimmers because of their trunks without ever having any proof. I'm glad to know I was right for once.

Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages