snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Fish change cat's eye color!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fish change cat's eye color!
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 503 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mom's neighbor refuses to feed her cats fish. Her reason is that the fish will cause their eyes to change color!

This is the first time I have ever heard this one.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard it. either, and I've had multiple cats all my life.
The only thing I can think of is that kittens are born with blue eyes, and adult eye color sets in when they're 5-6 months old. Maybe the feeding of fish happened to coincide with they baby to adult eye color change and got connected because they occurred in the same time frame.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
yeah, that's pretty bizarre. i've never noticed that feeding a cat fish will change it's eye color- though perhaps she got this mistaken idea because cats' eye color can change a lot through their first couple years on their own, like people's eyes. If she was feeding a cat fish while it's eyes were changing color- voila! false correlation.
Thinking of eye color, I've got kinda catty-colored eyes- yellow with dark green rings. a lot of people have asked if I have colored contacts on. Nope! They were blue when I was a kid, maybe they turned this color because of all the fish I eat... Yeah, that must be it. [Razz]

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rebeca by the Sea
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebeca by the Sea   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rebeca by the Sea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall being told at one point that fish-flavoured cat food (as opposed to beef- or chicken-flavoured) was bad for housecats, though I don't remember why this was supposed to be true. Perhaps she heard a variation of this?

Rebecabythesea

Posts: 13 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom says she is convinced it is true but I have no idea where she may have heard it. I too have had cats all my life and I've never heard anything remotely like it. Not even the one about fish being bad for them. No matter anyways, my cats don't like fish. But I will ask my cats' vet about that one out of curiosity.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted