snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Purring involuntarily? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Purring involuntarily?
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard from a few different people over the past few days that a cat's ability to purr is involuntary. Some one told me that they heard that this was true because of some studies done where cats purr when they are breast feeding from their mothers and when being fed by bottle, or something like that. Has anyone else heard this? Is it true?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just done a quick google of 'cat purring involuntary' and came up with a number of sites saying that no-one really knows for definite. It is a much debated subject.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...and here's me thinking that they were drilling [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my readings on the matter, no one seems to yet know quite how cats purr anyway. But I've heard them do it at all sorts of peculiar moments: in the middle of a fight, while going to the toilet and when very, very ill indeed.

Interestingly (or not [Wink] ), according to the book Why Does My Cat...? by Sarah Heath, big cats such as tigers can only purr when they breathe out.

JT [Wink]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pregnant cats purr really loudly when they are having strong contactions just before they expel a kitten.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:

They're trying to escape.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well i have no idea why but i read someplace that the ywill purr when nervous or in pain, its supposed to be soothing to them, my cat purred while giving birth as well, and she also purred while nursing, perhaps it is supposed to soothe the babies? kind of like a lulluby.
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my cats was having a nasty abscess examined once, and he started purring as the vet was poking it to see how deep it was. Course he was also nudging her and attempting to steal a thermometer from her pocket at the same time... he's a decidedly strange cat.

Coincidentally, that was also the last time he ever got to go outside, even on a leash in his own backyard with me watching... we discovered that the neighbor's cat is a vicious little beast who's hobbies include beating up defenseless black and white kitties in thier own yards, and I'm not quick enough to protect my poor baby even if I'm standing right there.

Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the book "Do Fish Drink Water?" by Bill McLain:

"When a cat purrs it can mean just the opposite of contentment. A cat may purr when frightened. A sick cat unable to defend itself will purr in an effort to calm a potential aggressor. Cats have been known to purr when giving birth, when they are injured, and sometimes when they are dying. Scientists think that when a cat purrs, calming endorphins are released. If true, this would explain why cats purr when in pain.

Purring is not unique only to the cat family: studies have found that purring occurs in other species, such as in black bear cubs and nursing spotted hyenas.

A cat's purr also has the same romance-enhancing frequency as the voice of singer Barry White."

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luka_the_Pooka:
A cat's purr also has the same romance-enhancing frequency as the voice of singer Barry White.

[lol] & YOMANK! I was not expecting that little bit of info....

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dawnda

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dawnda   E-mail dawnda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a news article several years ago (sorry, no cite or reference) that said cats seem to purr at different frequencies for different occasions, happy, injured, etc.

I used to have a nurse kitty who would wrap herself around aching body parts. My then bf had an abcessed tooth & woke up to find her wrapped around his jaw, & one time when I had a migraine she laid on my head. The purr she gave off was very different from the super-purr that being petted caused, so maybe there is something to it.

--------------------
Behind every good man there is a good woman and behind that another
man looking at her rear end.

Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luka_the_Pooka:
According to the book "Do Fish Drink Water?" by Bill McLain:

". . . studies have found that purring occurs in other species, such as in black bear cubs and nursing spotted hyenas."

Does it say anything about me that my brain edited out the "and"?

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lapis Lazuli
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lapis Lazuli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's okay though, they're wearing goggles.

--------------------
Your pants will be legendary, even in Hell.

Posts: 113 | From: Ottawa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the novel Oryx and Crake, the genetically engineered race of people (Crakers) have a number of different characteristics. One of them is the ability to purr. Their purring sort of acts as a healing vibe. They purr over other characters who have been injured or wounded or who are sick, and it tends to facilitate healing.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read somewhere (I think in one of the Bathroom Reader books, admittedly not models of accuracy) that cats purr when they are feeling social.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by invisigoth:
well i have no idea why but i read someplace that the ywill purr when nervous or in pain, its supposed to be soothing to them...

Perhaps it's similar to a human who is scared out of their wits but has a big, cheesy grin on their face. A sort of "I'm not a threat... see? I'm friendly. Don't hurt me!" defence mechanism.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The frequency of the cat's purr aids healing. There is well-reported recent research (which I used to have access to via works subscription).

http://www.animalvoice.com/catpurrP.htm

The original scientific report is on subscription only sites, but the findings have been well reported. The purr frequency aids bone and muscle growth.

Some of my cats have purred so loudly that they throbbed (I really shouldn't use the phrase throbbing pussy though!).Kitty 2 was purring when being euthanized (she was 21 and had heart failure), it was hard to tell if this was a healing purr or if it was because we were petting and comforting her.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 503 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cats always purr when they're around me. I swear my oldest cat has a Harley engine in there!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only heard that when cats "paw" like when they knead the blanket that is from when they were nursing & they were taken "too early"...I can see how the first part may be true but not the latter. My cat is the "I'll love you when I want it"...she purrs sometimes, not everytime she's petted.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shadow has purred at the vet before--when the doc stuck the thermometer up his you-know-what. I just figured he was a gay kitty. He will come to greet us at the door when we get home from work and give off the cutest "squeeky purrs" (tm). I have reason to believe those are his happy purrs [Smile]

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The time that my cats purr the loudest is when they are about to be fed.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I've only heard that when cats "paw" like when they knead the blanket that is from when they were nursing & they were taken "too early"...I can see how the first part may be true but not the latter. My cat is the "I'll love you when I want it"...she purrs sometimes, not everytime she's petted.

When cats knead it isn't always because they were taken too early, some of them just seem to like to do it.

My kittens were weened at 6 months- that's when mom finally escaped them. We couldn't find good homes, so they were weened when she ran out when a door was opened. Then they started nursing on their older brother. [Eek!]

I think it is more "don't stop" or a comfort thing. Signal does it when he really likes how I am petting him.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mother cats knead when they are nursing kittens. Kittens kneead when they are nursing. Kneading begins as a way of stimulating milk flow from the nipple. It therefore gets associated with sensations of wellbeing! Motley used to "air knead". While sitting up, she raised one paw a few inches off the ground and and clenched/unclenched it. I've only seen this in one other cat - also a tortie like Motley.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archangel
Spider Cider

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Archangel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[from the mile deep bunker, in the flameproof suit] Everything cats do is involuntary, they're animals.[/fmdbfs]
Posts: 1749 | From: -> Canberra <-/ Hong Kong / London | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
Mother cats knead when they are nursing kittens. Kittens kneead when they are nursing. Kneading begins as a way of stimulating milk flow from the nipple. It therefore gets associated with sensations of wellbeing! Motley used to "air knead". While sitting up, she raised one paw a few inches off the ground and and clenched/unclenched it. I've only seen this in one other cat - also a tortie like Motley.

My Cleo did that too. She was also a tortie. Hmmm.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Archangel:
[from the mile deep bunker, in the flameproof suit] Everything cats do is involuntary, they're animals.[/fmdbfs]

Humans are also animals.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:

Torties are nutters [Smile] There now seems to be a basis for the "tortie temperament" (aka "naughty tortie") which is linked to mosaicism - different cells have different X chromosomes activated (which is what causes the patches of red and non-red) and this may also affect them neurologically. Since mosaicism may be linked to some auto-immune diseases (a New Scientist article from a few years back), it is not too far-fetched to link mosaicism to oddities in brain function.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:
Motley used to "air knead". While sitting up, she raised one paw a few inches off the ground and and clenched/unclenched it. I've only seen this in one other cat - also a tortie like Motley.

We have a cat who does the air knead -- he's a black Scottlish fold mix. Our tortie doesn't do it. Of course, our tortie is, for the most part, a stone-cold bitch. [Big Grin]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our cat will air knead, but only when she is laying either on her side or on the couch (and her paw is sticking straight out and hanging off hte edge). She has also been known to sleep-knead.

We call it "making biscuits"

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tux only really "makes biscuits" when she is about to lay down, on a comforter or on the nice soft microfiber blanket that's pretty much the only thing on the dresser. Since she knocked everything else off it. [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Torties are nutters [Smile] There now seems to be a basis for the "tortie temperament" (aka "naughty tortie") which is linked to mosaicism - different cells have different X chromosomes activated (which is what causes the patches of red and non-red) and this may also affect them neurologically. Since mosaicism may be linked to some auto-immune diseases (a New Scientist article from a few years back), it is not too far-fetched to link mosaicism to oddities in brain function.

Oh, my! Should I worry about my tortie? She's crazy but lovable. I would hate to think I'm overlooking a disorder just because I'm used to her craziness.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kit_n_caboodle

Icon 503 posted      Profile for kit_n_caboodle   E-mail kit_n_caboodle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to have a tortie, and my vet told me that generally, when they get a tortie in the office, it's time to get out the big leather gloves, because that's the only way to handle them without getting shredded. [Eek!]

However, my Simone was the most tolerant, loving, friendly, gentle kitty in the world. He used to call her "sweetie". I miss her every day. [Frown]

--------------------
Peter: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Posts: 53 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard any of this about torties before. My twin tortie girls are sleeping beside me right now. They are both lovely cats and I have never noticed them to have temperaments outside the norm of any of the other cats I have had.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I took my tortie to the vet for her first vaccinations it took three of us to hold her down. At the time there was only about a tablespoon of fluff to her, but none of the humans involved came out unscathed. She didn't start kneading until she was just over two years old, so either it took her that long to realise she had been taken from her mother too early or there is some other trigger for the behaviour.

I think torties can be just as sweet and lovable as any other cat, but when they switch to psycho mode they really switch to psycho mode. Mine is sitting on my knee and purring as I type, but it wouldn't surprise me if she decides, in five minutes or so, to affectionately rip my arm off and beat me over the head with the soggy end. Another five minutes after that, she'll be back purring on my lap again.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pikey Snow Queen:
quote:

They're trying to escape.
Which you realize because you've got three cats in trousers you wonder what's up with the cat litter because you keep having to empty it because it's up to here!

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages