snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Cat mates with dog, has puppies? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cat mates with dog, has puppies?
PixiKat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 503 posted      Profile for PixiKat   E-mail PixiKat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mimi's (the cat) own offspring born with dog traits last Friday, three months after mating with a neighbour's dog, in the southern Brazilian city of Passo Fundo, Rio Grande do Sul state, November 15, 2006.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/061116/ids_photos_wl/r1391296501.jpg

I can't find any other stories about this anywhere. :/ Anything on google news is just a copy/paste of this. I'm calling UL on this one...

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Extremely doubtful. Most interspecific hybrids come from the same genus. Dogs belong to the genus Canis and domestic cats are Felis. According to this, they also have a vastly different number of chromosomes (cats 38; dogs 78). Furthermore, depending on the size of the dog, there would be mechanical issues which would complicate mating.

And that lady in the picture needs to adjust her top.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks to me like she's using her thumbs to pull back on the skin along the top of the kittens' heads to make their snouts look exaggerated. Even then, I don't think they look all that doglike.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, Photoshoppers and attention-seekers have gotten lazy. She hasn't even tried to make the puppies look cat-like.

But yeah, Izzy's right. Dogs and cats are not closely related enough to interbreed, and the reproductive cycle is a bit different (Cats only ovulate after mating.)

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you cross a lion and tiger
You will get what's called a liger.
But I doubt your cat and parrot
Can produce for you a carrot.

There is a section on "WOOF-PUSS" hybrids here FANCIFUL FELINE HYBRIDS I like this
quote:
Then in July 2003, The Weekly World News (similar to the UK's Sunday Sport tabloid) warned Americans to beware of "Docats". This terrifying new species of mutant predator was apparently roaming US streets, preying on the homeless in America's cities. "Concerned researchers" claimed the Docat to be a strange canine/feline hybrid which could have killed and eaten more than 100 homeless persons in the previous 12 months. Presumably they meant a big cat hybrid.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. It looks like she took two puppies and put them next to a pissed off cat.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Impossible. In addition to the different chromosome numbers, most species will reject the sperm of such a distantly related species. Cats and dogs aren't even in the same family, much less genus. Cats and dogs are in the order Carnivora, along with species like bears, otters, raccoons, walruses, and seals. It would be just as ridiculous to claim a cat mated with a dog as it would be to claim that a cat mated with a walrus or a bear.

I'm sure there are also key differences in their reproductive biology such as hormones and gestation time, but I'm not an expert on that. I know that cats have mating-induced ovulation that's triggered by a bite to the neck.

Besides, dogs and cats are the most common domestic animals in America, often living side by side. If a mating between them were possible, it would have happened long ago.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UrbanRenewal says they are kittens and don't look dog-like, moonfall86 thinks they are puppies that don't look cat-like, but I think they are really just foxes with mange.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I take Yahoo news with an extra grain of salt considering that they re-print segments of the Weekly World News. We all know their credibility is a few hundred galaxies on the far side of nil.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
UrbanRenewal says they are kittens and don't look dog-like, moonfall86 thinks they are puppies that don't look cat-like, but I think they are really just foxes with mange.

YOMANK! [lol]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definately puppies.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kelandaidansmom
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 506 posted      Profile for kelandaidansmom   E-mail kelandaidansmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have so many problems with this story.
Isn't a cat's pregnancy only 9 weeks? If so why did she stay pregnant for 3 months? [fish] Cats don't usually go over their due dates. I know that for certain. And those babies are puppies. They do not look even a bit like cats, nor is it genetically possible. [Confused] That's like saying a person mates with a dog and has a litter of puppies. It's that screwed up! [flame] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
A mother is the most over-worked, under-paid profession. It is also the most rewarding.

Posts: 2 | From: Moncton, NB, Canada | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drama Queen Of Mars

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drama Queen Of Mars   E-mail Drama Queen Of Mars   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one who now has the theme song to that cartoon "CatDog" stuck in my head?

[fish]

Drama one fine day with a woof and a purr... Queen

--------------------
WARNING: Men viewed through beer goggles may be uglier than they appear!

Posts: 50 | From: Springfield, OH | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Momma cat got broody and abducted some puppies? Nursing cats will foster a wide variety of young animals.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Neeva
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Neeva   E-mail Lady Neeva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll say puppies... newborn kittens heads are practically round for one thing, but the real kicker... the puppy on the left is black and tan. Like a doberman or a rottweiler... cats don't come in anything that can be mistaken for black and tan. Well, calico and tortoiseshell but they both look distinctly different from the canine black and tan heh.
Posts: 58 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
mehitabel the cat
managed to have a litter of pups
by a coyote
but that is probably
not a typical case at all

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They are most definitely puppies.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

And just look at those puppies...!
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

And just look at those puppies...!

[lol]

I'm such a child!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They actually talked about this on Good Morning America.

When my husband got all interested, I gave him the reasons (listed here) as to how it isn't possible, he got mad at me. As if I were insulting his precious GMA reporting. [lol]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lhyzz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lhyzz   E-mail Lhyzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How could anyone fall for this? If this person doesn't have video of the cat giving birth to those puppies, the story isn't credible in the least. Don't journalists have any standards anymore?
Posts: 2 | From: Amenia, NY | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That cat has puppies coming out of her head! She looks pretty mad about it, too. That's a pretty dumb article. Putting puppies near a cat doesn't prove anything. I could put my baby in the oven and snap a picture and claim I just baked her from scratch, do you think I could get on tv with my highly credible story?
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kismoctopus:
That cat has puppies coming out of her head! She looks pretty mad about it, too. That's a pretty dumb article. Putting puppies near a cat doesn't prove anything. I could put my baby in the oven and snap a picture and claim I just baked her from scratch, do you think I could get on tv with my highly credible story?

Just make sure the photo contains a box labelled "Home Clone Kit" and some random glass implements.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a documentary about the life of a odd family along these lines. Mama had a chicken. Mama had a cow. Dad was proud, he didn't care how.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That pussy is a bitch.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Follow up story Woman claims puppies were born to cat
quote:
Geneticist Adil Pacheco took blood samples on Friday from three puppies...

"It's rather simple really. If the puppies prove to have 78 chromosomes, they are dogs. If they have 38, they are cats," said Pacheco, director of the Institute of Biological Sciences of the University of Passo Fundo.

HIs guess is closest to Llewtrah's--the cat found some abandoned puppies and adopted them.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
Follow up story Woman claims puppies were born to cat
quote:
Geneticist Adil Pacheco took blood samples on Friday from three puppies...

"It's rather simple really. If the puppies prove to have 78 chromosomes, they are dogs. If they have 38, they are cats," said Pacheco, director of the Institute of Biological Sciences of the University of Passo Fundo.

HIs guess is closest to Llewtrah's--the cat found some abandoned puppies and adopted them.
It says 3 kittens didn't survive. With her own kittens not surviving, the bereaved mother cat obviously needed something to satisfy her maternal instincts and puppies were the right size and making the right sounds.

If the owners aren't attempting to make money from a hoax then they are surprisingly ignorant about feline maternal instincts.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least no-one mentioned Cabbits or Ryo-Oki or -

Oh, bugger...

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Or squittens, or cacoons/racats ....

I regularly get emails from people claiming to have cabbits, so much so that I now have a boilerplate reply.

I think my cat is a hybrid between a cat and a pillow. That would explain her occupancy of the head of my bed.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what really happened was that the cat started nursing those puppies, especially if some of her kittens died, and the puppies' mom was unable to nurse them. That has happened a lot in nature. Here's another example of a cat adopting puppies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahFGZakHuDI&mode=related&search=
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, during WWII, they mated hedgehogs and eels to produce cheap barbed wire.

It's true, I swear ! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with lioness and Llewtrah, mama kitty found abanded puppies and took them as her own.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

The puppies didn't even need to be abandoned - I've known mother cats and dogs to abduct substitutes while the other mother was away from them (usually to attend to bodily functions)!

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My family had a pig that stole pups when I was a kid. She'd take them, mama dog would take them back. It was pretty funny.
I will join in on the puppy chorus. Bereft mothers of just about any mammal species will adopt anything that will let them.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

As we all suspected - they are puppies.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22112006/80-132/blood-tests-debunk-brazilian-s-cat-puppy-claim.html

quote:
"People who aren't experts often imagine things," said Pacheco, director of the Institute of Biological Sciences of the University of Passo Fundo. "All the facts contradict her."
And they are getting huge!
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22112006/80-186/photo/brazilian-cat-mimi-nurses-puppies.html

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages