snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » If cats eat abalone their ears fall off.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If cats eat abalone their ears fall off.
yugyug
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yugyug   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok here's a good one I recently read in a english translation of a Japanese underground comic. Pretty sure its bull but who knows for sure?

The theory is that abalone (or the similar Japanese 'awabi') feeds on seaweed and they collect chlorophyll from the weed in their livers. Cats, unlike humans, don' t have the correct enzymes to break down chlorophyll and so the chlorophyll continues to circulate through their blood vessels. Now cats also have very thin ears, so much so that you can see through them in parts and that the cats blood vessels are exposed to sunlight. The chlorophyll photosynthesises and reproduces, choking the blood vessels and causing cell necrosis - and earless cats.

The author of this comic's 'eye-witness proof' is that earless cats are very common around Japanese fishing ports. I live in Japan but have yet to see them! I don't really hang out around fishing ports though.

--------------------
yugyug.com
guykeulemans.com

Posts: 11 | From: Tokyo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yugyug:
Cats, unlike humans, don' t have the correct enzymes to break down chlorophyll and so the chlorophyll continues to circulate through their blood vessal. Now cats also have very thin ears, so much so that you can see through them in parts and that the cats blood vessels are exposed to sunlight. The chlorophyll photosynthesis and reproduces, choking the blood vessels and eventually causing cell necrosis - and earless cats.

Why on earth would the chlorophyll be in the bloodstream? If it's true it can't be metabolized, it will just be passed through and excreted just like everything else a cat eats that can't be fully digested (like corn) or thrown up (like hair).

My guess on the supposed earless cats at the port: they're feral, they're not neutered, they fight, their ears get tattered/torn/clawed off. I've had pet cats with permanent nicks in their ears after a single fight, and ferals fight all the time.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, most all plants have chlorophyll in them... So cats eating grass, in theory, would then also be earless. And all I know that happens to cats when they eat grass is much barfing.

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of fish eat algae and seaweed, not just abalone. So if this theory were true, that would mean you would see earless cats in every port around the world.

My former boyfriend's family used to live on Catalina Island, where abalone fishing was very popular, and the kelp forests were thick. Catalina also had a thriving feral cat population. In the times I visited the island I never saw any earless cats, and never heard anyone mention cats having this problem.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The chlorophyll photosynthesises and reproduces, choking the blood vessels and causing cell necrosis - and earless cats.[/QB]
Apart from virtually everything else mentioned being wrong, chlorophyll does not reproduce.
Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
Lots of fish eat algae and seaweed, not just abalone. ...

Ah-HAH! And how many fish...have ears?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anecdotal evidence. Long,long ago in a galaxy far, far away I had the good fortune to have a source of abalone that was so abundant I was feeding scraps to my cat. Said cat had perfect ears.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And your cat's ears are now...

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And your cat's ears are now...
...six feet under.

Of course I should have written, "said cat had perfect ears both before and after commencing a high abalone diet. "

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I didn't know if your comment refered to the before or after ear condition.

I wonder if this could be related to something other than the chlorophyll in the fish. For example, does abalone have higher than normal concentrations of iodine or mercury? Neither of those would seem to result in ear loss, but if there is a chemical present in abalone that causes blood flow restriction, then it could cause ear loss.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fighting sounds like a plausible explantaion. Maybe frostbite, too? How cold does it get there? I knew of a horse that lost his ears to frostbite. His name? ...Frosty, of course!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
Lots of fish eat algae and seaweed, not just abalone. ...

Ah-HAH! And how many fish...have ears?
Well...none. But I always thought that was due to unsanitary piercing techniques.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ear loss in cats: fighting (haematoma and ripped ears), neutering ferals (they may have the ear tips cropped so they don't go back for a 2nd, unnecessary surgery) and sunburn/skin cancer (in cats with pale ears). Ear mites and scratching can also cause haematoma and the ears collapse into cauliflower ears.

Wild cats routinely eat the stomach contents of their normally vegetarian prey. No ear loss. Additionally, chlorophyll is (or used to be) available in food additive form for kitty as it supposedly reduced breath and faecal odour. If it really caused ear loss, there would have been loads of law suits, but despite being an avid reader of Cat Fancy, Cats, Cat World, Your Cat, All About Cats, National Cat, Feline Advisory Bureau Journal and The Cat (from the USA, UK and Aus) and a less frequent reader of Dutch and French cat magazines I haven't seen any reports of legal action for cats shedding their ears! I have some Japanese cat mags as well and though I can't read the language, none of the photos show earless cats.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages