snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » St. Louis Zoo hopes to squelch fishy penguin story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: St. Louis Zoo hopes to squelch fishy penguin story
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone who has ever tried to stuff a penguin into a backpack knows that birdnapping is harder than it sounds.

Still, rumors persist that a child swiped a penguin from the Penguin and Puffin Coast at the St. Louis Zoo, stuffed it in a backpack and took the bird home to play. For the past few months, the Zoo has reassured media and countless other callers that its 80 penguins, and 25 puffins for that matter, are present and accounted for.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifestyle/stories.nsf/pets/story/C83D01FDE3BC85FF8625721B000D7999?OpenDocument

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought they had 81 penguins.... Where did that other one go??? [Wink]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
I thought they had 81 penguins.... Where did that other one go??? [Wink]

Actually, I think #46 is missing [Razz]

It just goes to show that facts have never stood in the way of a good UL.

And I notice the prominent mention of snopes.com in the article. Must feel good getting some well-deserved appreciation (says he, sucking up to the Big Guy) [Big Grin]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "I don't necessarily believe it, but I'll spread it" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We were there last month . . . I thought my kid's backpack felt a little heavy . . . .

No, all we took home was a stuffed tiger (which we paid for!) and a park map that one of the goats in the Children's Zoo ate half of.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
pob14, I first read yours as, "...all we took home was a stuffed tiger...a park map, AND one of the goats in the Children's Zoo..." [Eek!]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
pob14, I first read yours as, "...all we took home was a stuffed tiger...a park map, AND one of the goats in the Children's Zoo..." [Eek!]

...which would be even harder to fit in a backpack.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Snopes.com is the online reference guide to urban legends. It traces this bird tale back to 1993, when a hyperactive child visiting the Dudley Zoo in Britain supposedly hid a penguin under his jacket. Later, his mother found the bird flapping in the bath, legend says.
So not only is this hypothetical kid hyperactive, but his mother doesn't notice he's got a bird under his jacket until bathtime? Poor guy.

Art "is that a bird in your jacket or are you just happy to see me?" emis

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see why the rumor would be more common at the STL Zoo. The Penguin and Puffin exhibit makes the birds much more reachable than usual exhibits. I-I mean my friend has petted the penguins and puffins there a few times. Which I don't condone, as it is bad *glances around nervously*...plus it makes your hand smell all fishy. My friend told me that.

edited for code

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In reality, it was Burgess Meredith that was taken home in the child's backpack.

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf333:
In reality, it was Burgess Meredith that was taken home in the child's backpack.

[lol]

I would have thought Danny DeVito would fit more easily into a child's backpack.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni_Rodeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf333:

[lol]

I would have thought Danny DeVito would fit more easily into a child's backpack.

Height-wise maybe, but there could be other problems

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I told them to get a sheep, they make much better lawnmowers!

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by poisoned candy from strangers:
I-I mean my friend has petted the penguins and puffins there a few times.

If you go in the children's zoo, you can pet rabbits and turtles and stuff. Legitimately. They may look at you funny if you don't take a kid, though. You can borrow mine if you want. Just check their backpacks for goats before you leave [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Patrick

Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Snopes.com is the online reference guide to urban legends. It traces this bird tale back to 1993, when a hyperactive child visiting the Dudley Zoo in Britain supposedly hid a penguin under his jacket. Later, his mother found the bird flapping in the bath, legend says.
Shouldn't that read "Snopes.com is the online reference guide to urban legends"?

Don "sucking up right there with Ieuan ab Arthur" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzy Quigley:
quote:

...which would be even harder to fit in a backpack.
Yes, but on the other hand, by the time you got home there'd no longer be a backpack to worry about.

Barbara "the goat would be full, though" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A penguin chick was birdnapped from a collection (Amazon World IIRC) in the Isle of Wight. To my knowledge it was never recovered.

The penguin in a backpack storyline was use in Grange Hill (UK kids TV series) about 20 years back [Smile] (Llewtrah shows her age)

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s black and white: Tale of lost penguin 'a ruse'

Maybe the release of "Happy Feet" triggered it, in much the same way that "March of the Penguins" is believed to have done so around the same time last year.

However it began, the story making the rounds is more or less the same.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=169089

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

quote:
A penguin chick was birdnapped from a collection (Amazon World IIRC) in the Isle of Wight. To my knowledge it was never recovered.
A penguin chick disappeared from Amazon World, true. To the best of my knowledge, there was no specific evidence indicating that it had been abducted from the zoo by humans.

- snopes

Macheath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Macheath     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot speak for all penguins, but the one at Sea World that I got to pet was very, very loud. It would be difficult indeed to smuggle such a creature out without it attracting a lot of attention. We were also told that penguins in general do not like to be picked up. They suffer anxiety when their little footsies don't touch the ground. I'd imagine your average penguin would struggle and make lots of noise if someone tried to birdnap it.

Mack da Knife

--------------------
http://www.artcpodcast.org - There is adventure in sound!

Posts: 1895 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I did hear that the San Diego Zoo once held a black-tie party for their most generous donors, and six penguins managed to sneak out unnoticed as the party broke up.

Brad "what makes you think I'm not wearing a tux?" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Purported purloined penguin positively a prank

All 15 of the African blackfooted penguins at the Georgia Aquarium are safely accounted for.

It's important to say that up front because, if you believe rumors circulating in the midstate, one of the little tuxedoed fellows was supposedly birdnapped in recent weeks by a student from West Laurens High School.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/16226083.htm

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages